11-23-2013, 02:41 PM
User Info
I recently made an M&F purchase in our BST forum and the following was included as part of the sale.

Rudy Vey R7 handle in ancient kauir wood, suitable for a 26mm knot:

[Image: pho7.jpg]

[Image: o17z.jpg]

[Image: ezng.jpg]

Originally I had no idea what to do with this handle. I was going to either hold on to it for a while and perhaps resell it if I didn't like the M&F brush, or perhaps just try my hand at knotting it myself with some inexpensive TGN or WSP knot to resell.

My fellow mods talked me into making myself a full brush I will actually use even though I have never attempted this myself.

My first step is to get in touch with Bernd to see about getting a 26mm D01 2-band hybrid knot. I have a custom one from him, but it's only a 23mm and I do wish it was larger.

Once that arrives, what on earth do I start doing?? I don't want to stain the handle, so I am thinking a number of layers of oil. What oil to use???? Do I keep applying oil until it gets where I want it before doing anything else with the handle?? Will I occasionally need to re-oil the handle??

I figure I should get epoxy, TGN sells an epoxy for $8 plus shipping, is this the best kind to get? Is something from my local hardware store just find and dandy??

How do I go about to determine how deep to sink the knot?

What else should I be thinking about here?

129 6,685
 11-23-2013, 03:10 PM
User Info
I don't know about the outside sealant, but I use an indoor/outdoor adhesive that works just fine, no mixing and can get it at any hardware store.
I would definitely try the knot before you actually set it permanently.
It was recommended by Lee to put some tape around the knot to wedge it in place so you can give it a test run at your desired loft.

Good luck, and good purchase!

31 1,800
 11-23-2013, 06:34 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
I use fast bi-component epoxy glue.
Works nice & easy. And still !!

0 1,096
 11-23-2013, 07:43 PM
User Info
As far as finish, you may venture into a polyurethane. You don't have to use a stain, the polyurethane should keep the wood preserved well.
As far as the knot is concerned, you may discuss this with Bernd. He will know his product better than anyone. I picked up a 24mm TGN super finest knots and set the loft at 46mm. Works great for face lathering.

6 229
 11-23-2013, 09:48 PM
User Info
Wow, Doug! This project seems like it will be interesting. I can't wait to see the final results! Good luck.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to use a marine two-part epoxy as this seems to be the strongest one I have used. I tried the 5-minute one and I have had a couple of knots pop out, before.

75 20,883
 11-24-2013, 04:24 AM
User Info
Maybe I chime here in here. The wood is resin stabilized, so water should not be a problem. However, I always recommend to soak any brush made from wood, stabilized or not, only up to the hair in the water. After use, dry it well. If you want to give it an extra protection, you can apply some a finish: I use Minwax fast drying polyurethane (at Home Depot)- a spray finish, apply severl thn coats. As far as the glue goes, the best is a two-part epoxy - I use Devcon's 5 min version. In the five years I use it for shaving brushes, I had only one knot come lose when the customer dropped the brush on the edge of the sink.

0 163
 11-24-2013, 09:43 AM
User Info
Thanks all for the information.

Rudy, thank you very much for your feedback. The reason I was thinking of an oil was to try to bring out more highlights and a richer tone to the wood. Oil normally brings out natural colors and that is what I was going for. Just some richness. Any ideas for that? I have a couple different oils I use on my furniture and or Butcher block . For the Butcher block I use a blended soft paste of food grade beeswax and mineral oil. It does great work in bringing out natural colors and gives a bit of water resistance as well. It does need to be reapplied now and then. We use Howards Feed N Wax from Amazon for out antiques.

If not an oil, what would you suggest to bring out some richness to the wood? Would the polyurethane spray do that?

Sent via Tapatalk and my thumbs.

129 6,685
 11-25-2013, 12:05 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Doug

That's a very nice looking handle.

Just some *general* advise: Take your time, plan the project out, have fun, walk away if you feel things aren't going along as they should, then come back to it later on...

Regarding knot installation, I previously shared my thoughts here...

For us DIYers my recommendation is to go with a wipe on with a cloth product, be it oil or polyurethane based -- doing so gives more control of product placement, plus overall quality of finish will be higher (IMHO).

Before applying any kind of finish:
  • Sand with 180 grit through to 600 grit (might be able to skip the lower grits if handle is already in good fettle).
  • Wipe clean with Mineral Spirits, then allow to dry thoroughly.
I will recommend: Here are a few posts documenting one method I've used: Plus, pretty much using the same *finishing* method as documented above, here are some red oak ink vial holders I made (also for Freddy)...

[Image: ypu6f0Q.jpg]

Ink Vial Holder - Option 2 in Red Oak (1¾inch thick Red Oak)

[Image: J3kqztB.jpg]

Glue up - Ink Vial Holder - Option 2 & Option 2 (with 3 holes), both in Red Oak

[Image: 67sJmKg.jpg]

Ink Vial Holder - Option 2 & Option 2 (with 3 holes), both in Red Oak

[Image: GWCp8pH.jpg]

Ink Vial Holder in Red Oak, possible alternative use - Razor stand

[Image: N7ESLT0.jpg]

Ink Vial Holder in Red Oak, possible alternative use - Razor stand

Good luck! and I look forward to seeing the final result.

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 11-25-2013, 05:08 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Mike, they look fantastic, how do I place my order !!! ???

91 17,875
 11-25-2013, 06:47 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Very Nice work. I've seen these that you made for Freddy. Would love to have some of these ink holders myself.

On a side note, I've gotta Frank Shaving brush that I want to reknot, so this info is very handy for me. Thanks for all your input.

14 1,177
 11-26-2013, 09:35 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Ben and Clinton, thank you for the kind words Cheers

Ben, time permitting I plan to make a few more ink vial/DE razor holders next year. If I do, I will be giving some of them away here on The Shave Nook.

23 1,872
 11-27-2013, 02:31 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Fellas, I worked at a Stair Bannister place a few years ago and the fabricator always used Boiled Linseed Oil and then Cyanoacrylate as a finish. He would attach the piece to a spindle after it was sanded and apply the Linseed Oil and then the CA while it was spinning. 2 or three coats i think...

I think he also did the ornate spindles by hand, but I was always to busy taking out trimmings and sawdust to observe much of that.

Those guys made awesome staircases with all sorts of exotic woods...

Mike, I wish I could see your pics, but alas, I'm at work...!

68 1,416
 11-28-2013, 08:09 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
That's a beautiful handle. I recommend using a 24mm knot for the 26mm opening. Using a 26mm knot placed in 26mm opening will make the knot crowded and not be able to bloom properly. The base of the knot where the glue puck is should be smaller than the opening at the top of the handle. This allows the natural shape of the knot allow the proper blooming. That's been my experience, anyway.

As far as finish, wipe-on poly is excellent and there are choices in level of shininess from satin to high gloss. I also recently finished a wooden handle in 2 ton epoxy. I think it was DevCon brand. Very clear and very thick, shiny protective glass-like finish. That kind of distances the wood itself and that may not be what you want in this case as the wood is just gorgeous. If Rudy says the wood is stabilized, then I would just rub some of furniture oil on it and call it done.

As for loft height, depends on the knot, but at 26mm opening something in the 48mm-52mm range should work. Depends on what you are looking for in a brush. Want more flow through? Set it higher, want more backbone, set it lower.

25 1,705