11-23-2013, 11:21 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I know that many of you, like myself, have numerous brushes and soaps. For me, part of the fun of shaving is picking a favorite brush-of-the-day and working up a puck of one of my favorite soaps.

However, I have noticed that when I use a shaving stick, I invariably obtain an excellent shave. This actually led me to consider the obvious "fact" that perhaps shave sticks generally provide a superior shave compared to lathering up by loading a brush from a puck of soap.

Anyone else have thoughts on this subject? Do sticks rock your shaving world, or do you experience no difference compared to lathering a puck? Or are sticks less effective for you?

Thanks for listening.

1 744
 11-23-2013, 11:34 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Test your theory... Rub a puck on your face as you would a stick Wink

88 4,233
 11-23-2013, 11:43 PM
User Info
I find them different in building the lather, but both give just as good shaves.

3 3,578
 11-24-2013, 01:45 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
For what ever reason I just don't use my sticks much. But maybe the reason for the better lather from the stick is more product. I tend to use a generous amount with the stick and find myself not loading long enough from the puck.

45 3,955
 11-24-2013, 03:36 AM
User Info
maybe its because when you rub the stick on your face you are leaving behind more product on your face than you pick up with a brush. try loading for longer with a brush and puck next time see if you can get a better lather ergo better shave.

I highly doubt that stick soaps would be better than their comparable soap puck.

1 171
 11-24-2013, 11:11 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
+1 the puck on the face.
it gets a more soap married onto the skin better like when you do the stick.
then, lather it to perfection.

0 1,291
 11-24-2013, 11:17 AM
User Info
The quality of my lather and overall shaves do not differ among pucks and sticks.

When I load from a puck I generally have enough lather to easily complete my 3+touch-up pass shave. However, with sticks, I often have to rub the stick on my face after the second pass in order to have enough quality lather to complete my shave. I've experimented with using greater and lesser amounts of stick, wetter and drier brush, etc., but I can never seem to get enough lather to complete my shave with a stick without some reloading. Given the minimal effort involved, it is at best a minor nuisance.

0 386
 11-24-2013, 11:22 AM
User Info
I wish they had perfected how to hold the stick. Arko is a unimpressive and messy wrapper. La Toja is sort of weak and unstable ( not a roll up).

I feel that a good, strong roll-up style stick (like deodorant) might be kind of handy. Yes, I could make my own.

0 303
 11-24-2013, 11:44 AM
User Info
I've always liked the simplicity if sticks and they seem to harken back to the "old school" even more than pucks for me. My problem is that there always seems to be too much soap " residue", i.e. un-lathered soap, on either my face or the razor afterward.

- Josh -

72 1,407
 11-24-2013, 11:59 AM
User Info
(11-24-2013, 11:22 AM)Face Bannon Wrote: I wish they had perfected how to hold the stick. Arko is a unimpressive and messy wrapper. La Toja is sort of weak and unstable ( not a roll up).

I feel that a good, strong roll-up style stick (like deodorant) might be kind of handy. Yes, I could make my own.

Have you tried the Tabac stick? It's a push-up and they sell refills.

0 386
 11-24-2013, 12:24 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(11-24-2013, 01:45 AM)tgutc Wrote: For what ever reason I just don't use my sticks much. But maybe the reason for the better lather from the stick is more product. I tend to use a generous amount with the stick and find myself not loading long enough from the puck.

That's a very plausible explanation. It's easier to load a face than a brush!

(11-24-2013, 03:36 AM)riskybadger Wrote: maybe its because when you rub the stick on your face you are leaving behind more product on your face than you pick up with a brush. try loading for longer with a brush and puck next time see if you can get a better lather ergo better shave.

I highly doubt that stick soaps would be better than their comparable soap puck.
Agreed. See immediately above.

1 744
 11-24-2013, 01:07 PM
User Info
(11-24-2013, 11:59 AM)branford Wrote:
(11-24-2013, 11:22 AM)Face Bannon Wrote: I wish they had perfected how to hold the stick. Arko is a unimpressive and messy wrapper. La Toja is sort of weak and unstable ( not a roll up).

Have you tried the Tabac stick? It's a push-up and they sell refills.

No, but I shall one day. I want to try Tabac in the regular dish/bowl package first.

0 303
 11-24-2013, 02:31 PM
User Info
Ted, I don't have a problem with either way and get great results with both methods. I do believe shave-sticks are much easier to use and you can definitely produce a great lather as you can apply so much more products, easily! The only downside to them is that you have to lather for a longer time and apply more water to your brush which usually runs down the sides of the brush. This is a minor inconvenience as the lather you get from using them is fantastic. Conversely, the benefit is that you spend more time massaging your face and preparing it! Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-24-2013, 08:52 PM
User Info
I haven't seen a difference. Most of my sticks I've turned into pucks and still noticed no difference.

I also suspect it's the amount of product being used.

32 6,309