11-24-2013, 08:26 AM
User Info
A few weeks ago, on one of my many trips to Pasteur Pharmacy in Manhattan, I noticed that they now carried the new LEA Shave Stick with tallow and lanolin. At only $5, I figured it was worth a try, even though there has been little written about it.

I've now used it a number of times, and to my very pleasant surprise, the product is excellent. Using my trusty Whipped Dog silvertip I was easily able to generate an abundance of slick, cushion-y lather and was easily able to achieve a BBS shave with my R89 or Lord L6 razors with Personna Lab, Astra and Super-Max Super Platinum blades. After the shave, my face felt smooth and moisturized. The stick also has a very mild, clean scent of soap. I additionally like that the stick has a cover for travel similar to La Toja. Unfortunately, I cannot compare it to La Toja, the apparent standard in shave sticks, since La Toja causes me a painful burning sensation, and has therefore been sent to shaving product purgatory at the back of my linen cabinet.

The LEA shave stick really should get more attention. It is a high quality and inexpensive product. It is unfortunate that so few TSN vendors offer it.

0 386
 11-24-2013, 10:17 AM
User Info
(11-24-2013, 08:26 AM)branford Wrote: A few weeks ago, on one of my many trips to Pasteur Pharmacy in Manhattan, I noticed that they now carried the new LEA Shave Stick with tallow and lanolin. At only $5, I figured it was worth a try, even though there has been little written about it on B&B.

I've now used it a number of times, and to my very pleasant surprise, the product is excellent. Using my trusty Whipped Dog silvertip I was easily able to generate an abundance of slick, cushion-y lather and was easily able to achieve a BBS shave with my R89 or Lord L6 razors with Personna Lab, Astra and Super-Max Super Platinum blades. After the shave, my face felt smooth and moisturized. The stick also has a very mild, clean scent of soap. I additionally like that the stick has a cover for travel similar to La Toja. Unfortunately, I cannot compare it to La Toja, the apparent standard in shave sticks, since La Toja causes me a painful burning sensation, and has therefore been sent to shaving product purgatory at the back of my linen cabinet.

The LEA shave stick really should get more attention. It is a high quality and inexpensive product. It is unfortunate that so few TSN vendors offer it.

The LEA stick performance is excellent since the reformulation some time ago, however, I find the scent too "chemical" for my liking.

31 4,957
 11-24-2013, 05:26 PM
User Info
My mistake was buying the LaToja and Lea at the same time. About a month ago I threw the LEA in the trash. Compared to LaToja, Lea is chalk that is doing a very bad shaving soap impersonation. Biggrin

2 805
 11-24-2013, 06:14 PM
User Info
(11-24-2013, 05:26 PM)sunflake Wrote: My mistake was buying the LaToja and Lea at the same time. About a month ago I threw the LEA in the trash. Compared to LaToja, Lea is chalk that is doing a very bad shaving soap impersonation. Biggrin

Was it the old LEA or the new formulation with tallow and lanolin?

0 386
 11-24-2013, 11:14 PM
User Info
(11-24-2013, 06:14 PM)branford Wrote:
(11-24-2013, 05:26 PM)sunflake Wrote: My mistake was buying the LaToja and Lea at the same time. About a month ago I threw the LEA in the trash. Compared to LaToja, Lea is chalk that is doing a very bad shaving soap impersonation. Biggrin

Was it the old LEA or the new formulation with tallow and lanolin?

New with Tallow and Lanolin. I have read that people have really loved the new Lea but for me it just wasn't anywhere near as good a soap as LaToja.

2 805
 11-28-2013, 06:16 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I think I prefer the La Toja stick over the Lea one, although both are very good.

3 2,562
 11-28-2013, 06:54 PM
  • grump
  • East Central Wisconsin
User Info
Hmmm, I may have to try the reformulation.

0 48
 12-04-2015, 06:36 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
I'm currently trying only sticks. Love Toja and Tabac.  Valobra's performance is great, but the scent not so good.  Palmolive is refreshingly good. Lea's soapy scent is almost none. I still need to do a proper shave to really compare.

14 317
 12-04-2015, 10:58 PM
User Info
Wilkinson is my fav stick. Have yet to try Lea.

6 824
 12-05-2015, 01:31 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
No complaints about the new formula LEA shave stick at all. It does the job well and has a nice mild scent for those who can't stand Arko's scent Biggrin

Bob

0 1,694
 12-05-2015, 07:20 AM
User Info
(11-28-2013, 06:16 PM)JAYDEE Wrote: I think I prefer the La Toja stick over the Lea one, although both are very good.

Agreed. I bought them both at the same time -- at Pasteur's. Though I give the nod to La Toja, which I love to use especially after I skip a day, I regard LEA stick as an underrated product.

6 725
 12-05-2015, 09:11 AM
User Info
(11-28-2013, 06:16 PM)JAYDEE Wrote: I think I prefer the La Toja stick over the Lea one, although both are very good.

I'm with you.  I tried the Lea stick and just didn't do it for me.  La Toja offers a better lather IMO.  

It wasn't horrible, but not for me.

61 3,796