11-24-2013, 07:08 PM
User Info
Does anyone else here drink yerba mate? I've used it as a coffee/tea alternative for a couple of years now.

For those who aren't familiar with it, yerba mate is a type of holly plant (Ilex paraguariensis) and contains the natural stimulants caffeine, theobromine and theophylline. It's popular throughout South America, and is reported to have a longer lasting stimulant effect without the caffeine crash of coffee. I can't provide much comment on that aspect as I'm not very sensitive to caffeine in the first place.

The dried and smoked leaves are used to prepare a hot beverage, and the dried, unsmoked leaves are prepared as a cold beverage. (I may be over-generalizing on prep methods.) The finished product tastes similar to green tea. I like to use unsmoked yerba mate in a French press, which is unconventional but convenient.

Anyway...I just wondered if there were any other yerba mate drinkers here, and thought I'd offer up the recommendation to anyone who hasn't tried it yet.

0 57
 11-24-2013, 07:30 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Yerba Mate has been my tea of choice for the last 3 years ... for those who have not tried it, I highly recommend it.

I typically purchase Guayaki Yerba Mate in bag form ... readily available here in the USA ... convenient for use both at home and work.
This tea is Fair Trade, organic, and is also available in loose leaf form.

[Image: b4c8i1.jpg]

102 17,670
 11-24-2013, 07:51 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I can almost hear Celestino perk up. Biggrin

45 16,352
 11-24-2013, 08:25 PM
User Info
If you've got a(n) hispanic or Brazilian supermarket in your area, I highly recommend checking it out. Guayaki is about double the price of any yerba mate you'll find there. Cruz de Malta is the smoked brand I used to buy. Lately I've almost exclusively been brewing the unsmoked and very green Ximango with cold water.

(11-24-2013, 07:30 PM)Agravic Wrote: Yerba Mate has been my tea of choice for the last 3 years ... for those who have not tried it, I highly recommend it.

I typically purchase Guayaki Yerba Mate in bag form ... readily available here in the USA ... convenient for use both at home and work.
This tea is Fair Trade, organic, and is also available in loose leaf form.

[Image: b4c8i1.jpg]

0 57
 11-24-2013, 08:30 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Hmmm ... good to know, Chris.
I'll have to check this out ... thanks!

102 17,670
 11-24-2013, 08:37 PM
User Info
(11-24-2013, 07:51 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I can almost hear Celestino perk up. Biggrin

* Good one, Phil, and I see that you have a good memory, my friend! Biggrin

(11-24-2013, 08:25 PM)GilbertHenry Wrote: If you've got a(n) hispanic or Brazilian supermarket in your area, I highly recommend checking it out. Guayaki is about double the price of any yerba mate you'll find there. Cruz de Malta is the smoked brand I used to buy. Lately I've almost exclusively been brewing the unsmoked and very green Ximango with cold water.

* Just a note on the Guayaki Mate. It is grown in a cooperative in Paraguay by an indigenous community and it is shade-grown as opposed to almost all other mates which are sun-grown. The way they smoke-dry the leaves, stems and twigs, gives it a very unique taste compared to other brands. Personally, I have not tasted anything as good and I don't mind paying a bit more for it. I have been drinking the Guayaki Mate for 20 years, now.
However, YMMV in shaving and in everything else. As long as you are enjoying what you are drinking, then keep at it! Biggrin
Thanks for the information on the brand you are drinking.

75 20,883
 11-24-2013, 08:47 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(11-24-2013, 07:51 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I can almost hear Celestino perk up. Biggrin

You beat me to it, Phil. Laughing1

I do drink it on occasion, as a change of pace from my afternoon tea.

2 11,211
 11-24-2013, 09:47 PM
User Info
Ahh, Freddy! Et toi aussi, mon ami?
You also have a good memory like Phil, I see! Biggrin

I love this forum! Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-25-2013, 06:21 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
I just love the iced cold tea made from Mate. You put a bit of lemon and it is extremely refreshing. I don't really like the hot version though. Whenever I go to Brazil I bring back with me a supply to last a few months Smile

10 486
 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(11-24-2013, 09:47 PM)celestino Wrote: Ahh, Freddy! Et toi aussi, mon ami?
You also have a good memory like Phil, I see! Biggrin

I love this forum! Biggrin

Stated with much affection, my friend. Winky

2 11,211