11-25-2013, 12:30 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Hi All

I am still on the Nook in Spirit Smile

Yes, it was me bought this brush from that well-know auction site, ahem. But look...it appears to be two-band..?

I have a Duke 3 in Butterscotch from maybe the same era, in 'best' but it seems softer than today's Duke loft. Go figure.

I hope the pics are large enough to see properly. I borrowed them off the site I purchased it.

Yes I PAID for sure, but the cost of postage from the States to Australia is OVER the TOP, hence I don't buy much from the USA any more. I figure the less I buy, the better the object whenever I do weaken. Any guesses at the date? I'd say 1965? I waiting for it to arrive. Hope it gets here before Xmas Smile

[Image: z8gjngN.jpg]

[Image: CI4k28M.jpg]

0 1,625
 11-25-2013, 12:55 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Congrats!
Had my eye on it as well. I think you made out ok...a modern chubby 1 best is ~125 and super is probably ~150 (haven't checked) so I think you paid a very reasonable price for the 2-bander.

Enjoy!

19 591
 11-25-2013, 02:01 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Thanks, Piyush. I have never used a two-band before so I don't know what to expect really. Opinions vary. Anyone have a view on 2-bands? What I might expect? What I don't quite get is why it is is Best, and yet is 2-band. Or is that what 2-band is anyway?? I have seen older Somersets like this, and they sometimes have this characteristic. It is, I assume, historical. It is Best, but perhaps buried deeper in the knot, to give it the 2-band look, thus giving the brush a stiffer feel but retaining the soft tips? I'd appreciate if anyone really knows. I am petty sure this is not a re-knotted brush. I have other older Simpsons and the tips are a slightly yellower looking than later brushes.

Check this earlier thread where the poster (vocalistBob) brought up a similar point re Best being in 2-band. Also note the yellowish tips:

http://shavenook.com/thread-simpson-hoff...-condition

0 1,625
 11-25-2013, 05:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wonderful brush, congratulations Shaun.

91 17,851
 11-25-2013, 09:48 AM
User Info
Very nice brush, congratulations. I had looked at it too, out of curiosity but not intending to buy. I wondered if it might have been reknotted because the hair just looks so new, rather than having the slightly faded appearance of most Somerset knots. I'll look forward to your impressions about this when you get it.

184 12,003
 11-25-2013, 10:51 AM
User Info
Congratulations on a great looking brush! Smile

75 20,883
 11-25-2013, 11:31 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-25-2013, 09:48 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Very nice brush, congratulations. I had looked at it too, out of curiosity but not intending to buy. I wondered if it might have been reknotted because the hair just looks so new, rather than having the slightly faded appearance of most Somerset knots. I'll look forward to your impressions about this when you get it.

Yes, I wondered too, but as per my previous post I have come across these knots on old Simpsons before. It has yellowish, not whitish tips. Also see the link to vocalistbob's comments on the same issue. When I get it, I'll be sure to let you know how it lathers on both the face, in a bowl, and also from a puck. Birthday present to myself. I don't buy many brushes these days.

0 1,625
 11-28-2013, 07:46 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
That is one beautiful brush. Use it well.

100 12,445
 11-30-2013, 10:37 PM
  • mark1966
  • Canberra [the capital city of] Australia
User Info
The only brush I still want - on its way to Australia but not to me!!!

Time to slash my wrists now Sad

I didn't even see it unfortunately.

Oh well, enjoy and if you ever feel like selling postage within Australia is pretty reasonable!

4 199
 11-30-2013, 11:20 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-30-2013, 10:37 PM)mark1966 Wrote: The only brush I still want - on its way to Australia but not to me!!!

Oh well, enjoy and if you ever feel like selling postage within Australia is pretty reasonable!

Hello, haven't seen you in a while, but then I haven't been around much myself. I'll bear it in mind. You still got that nano? Smile

0 1,625
 12-01-2013, 04:29 AM
  • mark1966
  • Canberra [the capital city of] Australia
User Info
(11-30-2013, 11:20 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(11-30-2013, 10:37 PM)mark1966 Wrote: The only brush I still want - on its way to Australia but not to me!!!

Hello, haven't seen you in a while, but then I haven't been around much myself. I'll bear it in mind. You still got that nano? Smile

Been watching and looking but not a lot to say Smile

The nano has gone to a new home - I'm NOT collecting brushes - just using a few Smile

4 199
 12-01-2013, 08:32 PM
User Info
Gorgeous acquisition! That really is a nice score and a great example of the original Simpson history. That knot definitely looks original, modern knots don't have that "goofy" shape that the original Somerset brushes sometimes have.

63 2,128
 12-04-2013, 04:36 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
That is definitely the original knot and you are in for a real treat. I have a vintage Polo and Case with the same type hair. My knots are both a little flatter, but super dense, soft and have a firm backbone. The Case is just like yours with only 2-bands showing while the Polo (Floris P2) has a bit of the lighter band showing at the bottom.

[Image: YaUfqn0.jpg]

No pictures of the Case as it just landed this week and I just got done cleaning it up.

127 2,387
 12-04-2013, 04:49 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Superb looking brush there, wow. I did see an old Case for sale recently, but missed out on the bid. whoever invented this thing called 'work' has an awful lot to answer for Smile
(12-04-2013, 04:36 PM)blzrfn Wrote: That is definitely the original knot and you are in for a real treat. I have a vintage Polo and Case with the same type hair. My knots are both a little flatter, but super dense, soft and have a firm backbone. The Case is just like yours with only 2-bands showing while the Polo (Floris P2) has a bit of the lighter band showing at the bottom.

No pictures of the Case as it just landed this week and I just got done cleaning it up.

0 1,625
 12-04-2013, 06:58 PM
User Info
Gary Young once said that they would make knots with a 2-band appearance by "collaring" the knot. The hair on the outside of the knot was set lower to mimic a 2-band appearance. He was going to explain how it was done but never got around to it. Don't know if this applies in your situation or not

2 697
 12-04-2013, 08:23 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
That is very interesting information, thanks so much. I will see if the C1 feels like a face latherer or knot (pun intended ha ha...lame, yes I know).

It also goes some way to explaining the confusion regarding 'Best Badger' sometimes looking like 2-band, when it may not be two-band, per se. The real confusion, though, is that some folk do have Simpson LE two-bands that ARE two-band but still labelled as "Best". We all look for consistency; I guess really there just isn't absolute consistency. The brush you have is the brush you have, in other words. That's the best test of a brush, but one needs to have some idea before the pin is pulled (new purchase).

Thanks for this information on 'collaring'. Interesting. Very. I assume, therefore, that you could spot collaring by merely drawing the hairs to one side and see if behind the collar, there is lighter hair. There would undoubtedly be different depths to a collar, brush to brush.

(12-04-2013, 06:58 PM)SteelTown Wrote: Gary Young once said that they would make knots with a 2-band appearance by "collaring" the knot. The hair on the outside of the knot was set lower to mimic a 2-band appearance. He was going to explain how it was done but never got around to it. Don't know if this applies in your situation or not

0 1,625
 12-05-2013, 08:51 AM
User Info
(12-04-2013, 04:36 PM)blzrfn Wrote: That is definitely the original knot and you are in for a real treat. I have a vintage Polo and Case with the same type hair. My knots are both a little flatter, but super dense, soft and have a firm backbone. The Case is just like yours with only 2-bands showing while the Polo (Floris P2) has a bit of the lighter band showing at the bottom.

* Dave, wow, that is one of the nicest handles I have seen! Boy, you should be posting it in some SOTD pics! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Thank you Celestino, I just have a tough time remembering to setup and take a picture in the mornings. My previous submissions were taken the evening before. I will try and participate more.

Here is my Butterscotch Case

[Image: OmGsDzh.jpg]

I think the mention of collaring is accurate as this brush does have some hairs along the outside edge that are set lower than the majority of the knot yet still remains mostly fan in shape. If one didn't know better they might think that the outside hairs had suffered some breakage.

127 2,387
 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Beautfiul Case Dave.
And I'll second your take on the form of the knot.
I picked up a vintage case best and the knot is shaped as you described - hairs along the outside of the knot are set lower.

[Image: quW1lHj.jpg]

(12-05-2013, 01:04 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I think the mention of collaring is accurate as this brush does have some hairs along the outside edge that are set lower than the majority of the knot yet still remains mostly fan in shape. If one didn't know better they might think that the outside hairs had suffered some breakage.

19 591
 12-06-2013, 02:27 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Brush arrived from Hawaii today Smile I was like a schoolboy unwrapping it, ha ha. The black band goes all the way though the loft. It's a real two-band by both look and feel. Might have been a special order?? Also, the stamping is in very fine detail indeed. I have a feeling it's earlier than the 60s, this one. The catalin is a very deep brown lustrous toffee. Loft smells a bit bad though Smile not funky badger but 'been on a shelf for years and years'. I'll fix that with a good soak with diluted white vinegar and shampoo, followed by Tabac or something. I'll report on the shave when I come to using it in a couple more days. It is certainly stiffish as a tow-band but with fine, soft tip. Brilliant.

0 1,625