11-25-2013, 09:57 AM
  • moallen
  • Bellevue, WA USA
User Info
I want to give a gift of grooming products for my son who wears a full beard. I know he has an electric beard trimmer already. Does anybody have suggestions about conditioners, etc., that beard wearers like?

I recently converted my son in-law to shaving with a DE razor. I gave him a nice starter kit for his birthday, and he is enthusiastic. But my son is uninterested in shaving and he genuinely likes having a beard. I have offered to fix him up with a razor, but he just laughs.

It would be fun to get him some nice beard care products, especially if they were natural artisan made.

4 682
 11-25-2013, 01:47 PM
User Info
what about an antique beard trimmer...the one that you would squeeze together to shear

4 158
 11-25-2013, 03:09 PM
  • moallen
  • Bellevue, WA USA
User Info
(11-25-2013, 01:47 PM)ORGANIC MAN Wrote: what about an antique beard trimmer...the one that you would squeeze together to shear

Never thought of that! Off to eBay.

4 682
 11-25-2013, 09:00 PM
User Info
(11-25-2013, 01:47 PM)ORGANIC MAN Wrote: what about an antique beard trimmer...the one that you would squeeze together to shear

* This is an admirable idea, but unless you keep those blades sharp, they will pull your hair more than cut it, unfortunately.

I haven't had a beard in so long that I can't even think of what to recommend. Good luck. Smile

75 20,883
 11-25-2013, 09:07 PM
User Info
There's companies that sell beard balm type of products. They seem essentially like leave-in conditioners, but they seem to tame the beard fairly well.
On instagram I follow a gentleman in Los Angeles with a very impressive moustache, he mentioned the use of One N' Only Argan Oil shampoo and conditioner for his 'stache. Seems like it would be a good choice for moisturizing and keeping the hair healthy.

6 229
 03-24-2015, 09:17 AM
User Info
Hey folks - bump on this.  I have been wet-shaving for several years (have been more active on another board), and recently have grown a beard.  I keep it trimmed and still get to use my shaving gear, but all these new issues have presented regarding beard care (oils, balms, waxes). 

Though there are some great resources and sites/forums for wetshaving, there just doesn't seem to be as much for beard care.  A blog here and there.  Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

1 52
 09-21-2015, 07:24 PM
User Info
I would say that beard balm of one sort or another is nice because some of it has a small amount of wax in it as well.  this combined with the conditioner does wonders for allowing a person to have a "classy" beard.  It kind of tames the crazy flyaways and gives the beard a nice shine. 

A nice pair of scissors to trim the beard are also nice because an electric trimmer doesn't work very effectively (for me) when I have a little longer beard. 

if he wants to have a mustache, such as handlebar, it's not really possible without some sort of wax.  I've tried a couple, so can't say I'm really an expert...I'm still in the acquisition disorder stage...maybe immediately prior when it's still controllable. 

other than the importance of conditioning a beard, and how helpful GOOD scissors are, I don't have much advice.  my beard is much more apt to splitting than my head is.  this makes conditioning much more important.

9 149
 09-21-2015, 07:31 PM
User Info
Anything that will help the beard stay healthy, he'll appreciate, and he'll see that you care about his beard as well; rather than convincing him to cut it!

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975