11-26-2013, 09:57 AM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
Has anyone tried the new soaps - Roam and Dickens - from Barrister & Mann?

6 235
 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM
User Info
I had some come in yesterday, I have not tried either yet.
The Dickens may have a little too much lemon in the scent for my liking, but will wait to judge until I lather it.

The Roam is different, had some leather and smoke. I think I may end up liking it, my wife did not though. We will see once it gets lathered up.

31 1,800
 11-26-2013, 10:14 AM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
I have both coming tomorrow, so I guess I will find out then. I have never used B&M soaps, so I'm anxious to see how I'll like the soap and scents.

6 235
 11-26-2013, 10:17 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Really interested to hear thoughts on the Roam. It sounds very unique

13 599
 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM
User Info
(11-26-2013, 10:17 AM)VT_Hokie Wrote: Really interested to hear thoughts on the Roam. It sounds very unique

+1

10 518
 11-26-2013, 10:28 AM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
I will report back when I have chance to check them out.

6 235
 11-26-2013, 07:15 PM
User Info
I've been very hit or miss with B&M soaps, out of the 4 that i've tried, I've hated 2 and have loved 2. The 2 that I love have a permanent spot in my den.

I used Cheshire this morning and I STILL get hints of it, over 12 hours post shave. Amazing!

19 631
 11-26-2013, 07:43 PM
User Info
I used the Dickens tonight and got the same slickness and protection as with nocturne. Same easy load and lather.

31 1,800
 11-26-2013, 08:51 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I too am very interested in Roam.

14 1,177
 11-27-2013, 04:07 AM
User Info
(11-26-2013, 07:15 PM)Starkicker Wrote: I've been very hit or miss with B&M soaps, out of the 4 that i've tried, I've hated 2 and have loved 2.

I am curious about the 2 you did not like, was it the scent or the performance? I have only used 2 so far, and both performed the same.

31 1,800
 11-27-2013, 05:46 AM
User Info
I too am very curious to hear about Roam (and Dickens)...

Like others, I absolutely love the ease and quality of the lather produced by B&M soaps. And I too having been having quite a love/hate relationship with the B&M scents: some I find absolutely amazing, others I simply do not - and boy, do I ever find it refreshing!

For some reason I find myself much more excited by the anticipation of getting a whiff of whatever new bold, creative, unexpected B&M scent Will has been whipped up than I usually do from trying other soaps.

Although some may miss my personal scent preference mark by a mile - I hope Will and his team continue pushing their limits of scent creativity and boldness.

Kind of makes me wish I burned through a puck in a month rather than it taking me 6-12 to get through one (I usually have two in rotation at a time).

Rock on B&M!

3 147
 11-27-2013, 06:19 AM
User Info
(11-27-2013, 04:07 AM)Bowhnter Wrote:
(11-26-2013, 07:15 PM)Starkicker Wrote: I've been very hit or miss with B&M soaps, out of the 4 that i've tried, I've hated 2 and have loved 2.

I am curious about the 2 you did not like, was it the scent or the performance? I have only used 2 so far, and both performed the same.

I dont think you could hold a candle to B&M as far as performance goes. The soap base Will uses is unsurpassed as far as i'm concerned. I prefer it to Mikes, Cella, MWF et al. It's rich and creamy but not too thick which is what I like - it doesn't cake up on my razor. My skin feels great after use and I don't have breakouts after using it like I do with other soaps.

My only knock against B&M (of the 2 that I didn't like) were the scents. I didn't like Limes, Cedarwood and Pepper and Ferox. I thought LCP would be a shoe in as I love the smell of Ogalla Limes and Peppercorn and Mikes O/C/P. In B&M's version I found the cedarwood too overpowering. The other scent I didn't like was Ferox; to me it smelled like a tub of Vicks vaporub.

I had a conversation with Will and there was nothing menthol/camphorus in Ferox; infact my most favourite scent is Cheshire and it has twice the amount of "camphorus scent" as Ferox - mainly being the Rosemary oil I believe.

That said, my two favourite all time scents are Seville and Cheshire.

19 631
 11-27-2013, 07:42 AM
User Info
(11-27-2013, 06:19 AM)Starkicker Wrote:
(11-27-2013, 04:07 AM)Bowhnter Wrote:

I dont think you could hold a candle to B&M as far as performance goes. The soap base Will uses is unsurpassed as far as i'm concerned. I prefer it to Mikes, Cella, MWF et al. It's rich and creamy but not too thick which is what I like - it doesn't cake up on my razor. My skin feels great after use and I don't have breakouts after using it like I do with other soaps.

My only knock against B&M (of the 2 that I didn't like) were the scents. I didn't like Limes, Cedarwood and Pepper and Ferox. I thought LCP would be a shoe in as I love the smell of Ogalla Limes and Peppercorn and Mikes O/C/P. In B&M's version I found the cedarwood too overpowering. The other scent I didn't like was Ferox; to me it smelled like a tub of Vicks vaporub.

I had a conversation with Will and there was nothing menthol/camphorus in Ferox; infact my most favourite scent is Cheshire and it has twice the amount of "camphorus scent" as Ferox - mainly being the Rosemary oil I believe.

That said, my two favourite all time scents are Seville and Cheshire.

You gentlemen are making me Blush

Just a few clarifications, though:

It's actually Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood with just those three essential oils. No pepper, I promise. We use pepper in Dickens and Solstice, but nothing else (so far. Thinking of doing a limited run of Lime, Petitgrain, and either Pink or Black pepper. Anyone have thoughts on this?).

Ferox contains Spanish Rosemary Oil, which is actually quite camphoraceous, and many would describe tea tree (also part of its fragrance profile) the same way. Cheshire, however, contains no camphoraceous oils (unless you count Lavender, which I wouldn't), but Seville actually uses more Spanish Rosemary than Ferox did. However, I blend the SR oil with lavender and oakmoss and it basically strips away the camphoraceous nature of the oil. I've been considering experimental with French Rosemary, which is considerably less harsh, if anyone is interested in our doing such a thing.

Regardless, I'm glad to hear that our attempts to think outside the box are met with such approval, even if the execution is sometimes not quite what you're looking for. We're always open to new scent suggestions (actually had a great one the other day that will become a limited production soap with a matching aftershave) and any other feedback you fine folks might wish to provide. Happy Holidays everyone!

5 407
 11-27-2013, 11:53 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
Couldn't hold off. I ordered Roam. The soap just sounds like it's perfect for me. Not to mention I missed Solstice which I was very excited to try. Not gonna miss this one.

However I do love Lime, Lavender and Cedarwood as well as Seville. They are my favorites to date. Pepper gets rave reviews in shaving soaps, but I have yet to try any with it in yet.

14 1,177
 11-27-2013, 01:12 PM
User Info
I didn't try Roam, but I do have Seville, Dickens, Nocturne and Bay Rum. Absolutely love the Bay Rum and Nocturne. Dickens is very nice too. I'm kind of so-so on Seville, but all of them perform excellently. The nice thing about B & M soaps are that they all perform the same so you just need to find the scent(s) that you like. Way to go Will and I look forward to whatever new scents you come up with (but please make Nocturne a regular every fall).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 16
 11-27-2013, 05:07 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
So, just to report back real quick...

I received my Roam and Dickens, today. My initial reaction is that I prefer Dickens of the two.

I have never used B&M soaps, so I cannot really comment on the soap's performance, yet. I did a test lather of Roam and I had a very impressive bowl of lather.

I will have to explore both scents a bit more before coming to a definitive conclusion. When I read that there was birch tar as a component of the "Roam" scent, I was very excited and started to imagine that the soap would smell something like Knize 10. It does not. It is a very bold scent and quite complex, to me. It reminds me of smelling an open can of Copenhagen snuff.

6 235
 12-10-2013, 10:10 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I just thought I'd chime in, as I picked up the Roam from JaDo and just tried it out tonight

Very, very interesting soap.
This is my first soap from B&M and the lather was excellent (even though I did end up with a tad too much water in it)

As for the scent...if you had told me 10 years ago that some day I'd pay $20 to shave with something that smelled like dirt, I would've laughed at you. Today I don't regret the purchase one bit! Biggrin

I honestly didn't get that strong of a tobacco smell from it, to me it was more like walking into a damp cellar and digging around in fresh dirt after a light spring rain, you know, when you can smell the dirt in the air? I don't know, it's really hard to describe lol
But, it was quite pleasant, especially when it's 20 degrees out and I've been missing being outside

The only complaint I had, and it's a tiny one, is that the label on the tin is a plain paper sticker. A nicer label would go a long way in making this product look as good as it performs (be it a glossy label, or a clear sticker over the label...just something to protect it from the inevitable water damage). I'm afraid it's going to end up living in the cabinet instead of out on the shelf the first time I accidentally get the sticker wet Confused

10 411
 12-11-2013, 08:51 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
I get more of a campfire smell from it. With maybe a touch of leather to it. I love the scent. My lather with it needs a bit of work though as I'm not getting the volume I want. I think I'm gonna try with a damper brush next run.

If you want to try a soap that resembles dirt try Mike's Pine and Cedarwood. Smells like you are laying face down in the East Texas Pineywoods. It's excellent.

14 1,177
 12-11-2013, 09:10 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
You guys are doing a great job of making me want to order some.

When my trial with the sample pack of B&M didn't work out at all, I was bummed out. I'm almost positive that the soaps got fried on their way to me though, and I want to give them another try. Especially now that it's nice and cool at night.

I remember the scent of the Vetiver, Heather and Clary Sage being amazing and this Roam sounds really neat too.

13 599
 12-11-2013, 11:03 AM
User Info
(12-10-2013, 10:10 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: I just thought I'd chime in, as I picked up the Roam from JaDo and just tried it out tonight

Very, very interesting soap.
This is my first soap from B&M and the lather was excellent (even though I did end up with a tad too much water in it)

As for the scent...if you had told me 10 years ago that some day I'd pay $20 to shave with something that smelled like dirt, I would've laughed at you. Today I don't regret the purchase one bit! Biggrin

I honestly didn't get that strong of a tobacco smell from it, to me it was more like walking into a damp cellar and digging around in fresh dirt after a light spring rain, you know, when you can smell the dirt in the air? I don't know, it's really hard to describe lol
But, it was quite pleasant, especially when it's 20 degrees out and I've been missing being outside

The only complaint I had, and it's a tiny one, is that the label on the tin is a plain paper sticker. A nicer label would go a long way in making this product look as good as it performs (be it a glossy label, or a clear sticker over the label...just something to protect it from the inevitable water damage). I'm afraid it's going to end up living in the cabinet instead of out on the shelf the first time I accidentally get the sticker wet Confused

We actually spray the labels with a clear coat to protect them from water damage. They're more resistant than you think. That said, we're currently looking for new packaging (that would be economically feasible), so it will likely be changing soon. You're not the only one who doesn't care for the paper labels. Smile

5 407