11-27-2013, 02:04 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
Hey guys,

I just got my first SS razor, and iKon Slant.

I was wondering, and I've read somewhere else, that without proper care, they can rust. Is this true?

I've read that if you don't remove the blade after each shave, the rust which is normally created in the blade can make the razor start rusting. This is a problem for me because the blade placement in the slant is a little bit tricky, so If I'd need to remove the blade after each shave and replace it in the following one that would be a small headache for me.

Should I really remove the blade after each shave, or can I rest assured that this is only an urban legend?

2 242
 11-27-2013, 02:17 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
... not an urban legend.

I advise that you remove the blade after each use, and rinse the razor. I have noted that some blades are more prone than others, but all will potentially start to show rust spots within a day or two if left in the razor head ... and this will affect the razor head surfaces that are in contact.

102 17,668
 11-27-2013, 02:26 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
(11-27-2013, 02:17 AM)Agravic Wrote: ... not an urban legend.

I advise that you remove the blade after each use, and rinse the razor. I have noted that some blades are more prone than others, but all will potentially start to show rust spots within a day or two if left in the razor head ... and this will affect the razor head surfaces that are in contact.

Thank you, Ravi.

So I'll start removing the blade after each use. And there it goes another 5 minutes in my shave routine, only to adjust the blade in the slant. Hmm

2 242
 11-27-2013, 02:28 AM
User Info
I remove the blade after each shave. No matter if Stainless Steel razors or anything else.

Sent with my BlackBerry Z10.

0 271
 11-27-2013, 02:30 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
The blade alignment is a bit of a pain with the iKon Slant head design, but it does get easier ...Undecided

102 17,668
 11-27-2013, 02:31 AM
User Info
David,

I do not remove the blade after every shave but I make a point of cleaning my razor with a touch - just a touch - of scrubble bubble and a toothbrush whenever I see hint of discoloration. It keeps the razor looking pristine.

2 30
 11-27-2013, 02:41 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
Thank you guys for all the advices.

I've never bothered in removing my blades as all my other razors are either brass or pot metal. I only did the cleaning routine once a month to remove the soap scum, as the water here in Israel in closer to pure calcium and magnesium than to H2O.

2 242
 11-27-2013, 03:06 AM
User Info
I didn't even think about that. I just made a thread about picking up a weber, but now I'm kind of turned off by this. Maybe I'll just get an HD.

11 829
 11-27-2013, 03:54 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
(11-27-2013, 03:06 AM)reggiehogarth Wrote: I didn't even think about that. I just made a thread about picking up a weber, but now I'm kind of turned off by this. Maybe I'll just get an HD.

Get a DLC Weber, the coating should protect the steel and you won't have to worry.

2 242
 11-27-2013, 04:05 AM
User Info
Call me vain, but I just don't like the look of the DLC. With the PH, is it just the blade rusting that transfers to the razor which makes it rust? Can you simply remove the blade and let the razor air dry on the counter or does the razor actually have to be cleaned and dried every use?

11 829
 11-27-2013, 04:43 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
(11-27-2013, 04:05 AM)reggiehogarth Wrote: Call me vain, but I just don't like the look of the DLC. With the PH, is it just the blade rusting that transfers to the razor which makes it rust? Can you simply remove the blade and let the razor air dry on the counter or does the razor actually have to be cleaned and dried every use?

I'd say that the looks of the DLC are different, but I do like it.

From what I got, the problem is the rust from the blade transferring to the razor, so simply removing the blade and letting the razor air dry will do it.

2 242
 11-27-2013, 04:47 AM
User Info
Toothbrush and soap and water will clean it up quickly.

Great razor once you get the angle down (one of my favorites).

47 1,112
 11-27-2013, 05:00 AM
User Info
It's easy to clean up, but yes, stainless steel will rust eventually - especially if the blade is left in it.

I don't remove blades from my razors until they've been used 3 times. However, I clean my razors after the blade has been removed. This seems to have been enough to prevent any damage so far.

The glue spots are a bigger pain for me than rust.

37 1,731
 11-27-2013, 05:14 AM
User Info
As much as I love my shave in the morning, the 15 mins it takes after my shower is still pushing it as far as time goes when wanting to get out the door. I don't like the idea of having to clean the razor every use and worry about rust. Dodgy

11 829
 11-27-2013, 05:22 AM
User Info
Its not "rust" in the way we probably use it (i.e. with carbon blades or un-seasoned cast iron pans), but what are called "tea stains." It won't build up any rust between uses, unless you let it sit there for a long time.

I hate having to take extra steps in the morning, so I just let the tea stains be and then once a week, I just give the razor a good cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles and an old toothbrush.

72 1,407
 11-27-2013, 05:24 AM
User Info
I tend to wipe down my r89 between blade changes which is usually about 4 shaves. So far, no accumulation. I wonder if I can get this scrubbing bubbles in Canada. I was thinking that maybe keeping the razors empty and rinsing them after each use and then sit to air dry would be an easier way to remember how many uses each blade has had to. I could just move that blade from razor to razor, depending on which I'm using that day. I've been using Red IP's lately and they seem to be pretty good in all my current razors.

11 829
 11-27-2013, 05:30 AM
User Info
reggiehogarth - I think any really non-abrasive cleaner can work. But the R89 and the "C" Merkurs are chrome-plated and there will be much less of this occurring. Chromium is a harder plating material than stainless so it will resist staining better. I've found that if I just scrub my chrome-plated razors with just water once a week its like new.

72 1,407
 11-27-2013, 05:34 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Stainless does not mean it will never rust. It is just less prone to rust than other materials.
I remove the blade, clean the razor with a toothbrush and mild soap and pat dry every time I shave. I have put that into my routine and I actually enjoy doing it. It takes only 2 minutes and will prevent any surface damage to the razors being stainless or not.
Also I don't like the feeling of using a razor where old soap/cream and other materials remaining from previous shaves could still be there.

10 486
 11-27-2013, 05:45 AM
User Info
Has anyone ever had any significant damage occur on a stainless razor?

I have a hard time believing that anything more than some insignificant surface rust would occur unless a razor was left wet for months (or years) on end.

47 1,112
 11-27-2013, 06:28 AM
User Info
(11-27-2013, 05:00 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: It's easy to clean up, but yes, stainless steel will rust eventually - especially if the blade is left in it.

I don't remove blades from my razors until they've been used 3 times. However, I clean my razors after the blade has been removed. This seems to have been enough to prevent any damage so far.

The glue spots are a bigger pain for me than rust.

According to the Weber web site they recommend leaving the blade in the razor, rinsing well under hot water and allowing it to air dry. Like yohann I use blades 3 or 4 times, leave them in the razor. I do rinse the razor well and let it air dry. When I remove the blade the razor gets a good scrubbing and is allowed to dry well before reuse. Every three months I trot out the scrubbing bubbles and give them all a thorough cleaning.

I'm not concerned about stains as they all get good regular cleanings.

6 358