11-27-2013, 07:23 AM
User Info
I wanted to thank all of your for your help in reaching me reach that "Point of Skepticism."

In short my Den has reached the point that I am skeptical that I will find a razor that shaves significantly better than my current line-up, a brush that lathers noticeably better than the ones that I have, or a soap that is significantly better than anything in my current line-up. I will always be trying new things, but my AD has died down mainly because of all that I have learned here, so Thank You!

For those that are curious, the core parts of my Den, what I could be content with for a long time:

Razors
Gillette Slim
Ikon Slant

Blades

Gillette Silver Blues
Iridium Supers

Brushes

TGN 24mm Fan
Rudy Vey Custom Two-Band
WSP Special Grade HMW

Soaps

Mike's Hungarian Lavender, Vetiver, & Peppermint Rosemary
Calani Plum
LA Shaving Woody Lavender
Mystic Water Marrakesh
Stirling Anise
Barrister&Mann Lime, Lavender & CedarWood
MdC

[Image: 2013_11_27_10_11.jpg]

47 1,114
 11-27-2013, 07:33 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Congratulations, David.

I believe I've reached the 'Point of Skepticism' ... several times ... and certain ADs have certainly slowed ... but I continue to be thrilled to find a new item that changes my frame of thought.

102 17,671
 11-27-2013, 07:50 AM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
(11-27-2013, 07:23 AM)david1201 Wrote: In short my Den has reached the point that I am skeptical that I will find a razor that shaves significantly better than my current line-up
Skepticism is a good thing. Have you tried a GEM SE razor? My DE has been shelved since using a Gem MicroMatic Flying Wing. :\

1 239
 11-27-2013, 07:59 AM
User Info
Nice den. Enjoy what you have until the next round of AD sets in.

6 358
 11-27-2013, 08:00 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have the razor and blade thing under control and that's about it.

173 23,553
 11-27-2013, 08:06 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
My point is being reached monthly Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-27-2013, 08:27 AM
User Info
Too funny! I am curious about Single-Edge razors, was even looking at Gem's on fleabay the other day, but think I'm going to hold out for the Hunt-Lee.

Razors are probably the area that I will experiment the most, I'm also considering an ATT M2 (Open Comb), and possibly a Mergress, but no rush on either, will be looking for good deals on the BST before I pull the trigger.

47 1,114
 11-27-2013, 09:07 AM
User Info
I actually have a couple, just never use them! I've focused on picking up shaving soaps that I love the fragrance (mostly essential oils), and am content without an aftershave.

(08-31-2013, 08:11 AM)Starkicker Wrote: iKon sells through resellers like IB, BullGoose, WCS, etc. Can't you buy from them and have them ship to Europe?

(11-27-2013, 08:44 AM)jsab Wrote: Don't worry. It seems you
Haven't tackled aftershaves yet.

47 1,114
 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM
User Info
David, it looks like you have made some wonderful choices!
However, it seems you need a few more soaps and brushes.
Also, you don't seem to have any straights or haven't tried the Cobra. Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-27-2013, 09:54 AM
User Info
Congrats...Yes, some great choices for sure! It's funny...they look rather familiar...I have thinned my den a little lately and still have most of the stuff listed above - they have made the cut so to speak! Enjoy!

47 385
 11-27-2013, 10:00 AM
User Info
Celestino, trust me that's not all of them, just the one's that I think could keep me satisfied if I stopped buying tomorrow!

I have a tendency to multi-task (the mind wanders) when I'm shaving, so I'm a little scared of trying straights....

The Cobra has tempted me, but I don't think I'd like the handle, so I'm going to wait and try the HuntLee when Phil gets it to market!

Any suggestions on knots I'm missing? (I face lather exclusively).

(11-27-2013, 09:33 AM)celestino Wrote: David, it looks like you have made some wonderful choices!
However, it seems you need a few more soaps and brushes.
Also, you don't seem to have any straights or haven't tried the Cobra. Biggrin

47 1,114
 11-27-2013, 10:06 AM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
Well, all I want to say is "congratulations David". When you find the urge to try something else, go for it. Until then enjoy your shaves in PEACE Smile

64 529
 11-27-2013, 10:44 AM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
DE Razor collecting is something I don't understand. A Merkur 34c is easily available and is aggressive enough for me. I've found a razor that I like to use, and I don't see a need to have that be a portion of my collection that I need to mess with.

Brushes and soaps on the other hand...

9 734
 11-27-2013, 10:52 AM
User Info
(11-27-2013, 10:00 AM)david1201 Wrote: Celestino, trust me that's not all of them, just the one's that I think could keep me satisfied if I stopped buying tomorrow!

I have a tendency to multi-task (the mind wanders) when I'm shaving, so I'm a little scared of trying straights....

The Cobra has tempted me, but I don't think I'd like the handle, so I'm going to wait and try the HuntLee when Phil gets it to market!

* David, I feel the same way about the Cobra's handle. It isn't very comfortable for me. I looks forward to the Hunt/Lee razor as well.

Sir, you need to try the WSP Stubby Superfine 26mm 2-band knots. I would recommend asking Lee to NOT set the knot in the handle so that you can experiment with the loft to see where you enjoy it. I would also suggest getting a custom handle for it, but the stock handles are just fine, but the loft is pre-set at 52mm or so. For the money, these are exceptional knots and, for me, they are actually softer than the HMW one you have.
Besides the usually suspects such as M&F 2XL 2-bands, Shavemac D-01 2-band and a Chubby 2 Super (luxurious at its best), the WSP Stubby 2-band is really nice. Biggrin
Good luck.

75 20,883
 11-27-2013, 11:10 AM
User Info
I'm getting there, too.

I doubt anything will ever shave me better than my Tradere.

I really like my Polsilver blades.

I'm happy with Mystic Water and RazoRock soaps.

1 1,107
 11-27-2013, 12:27 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Although I believe your "skepticism" is really "wishful thinking" I would add that your choices are excellent.

1 744
 11-27-2013, 01:37 PM
User Info
I'm at the "point of skepticism" on soaps, creams, and brushes. I'm still on a never-ending razor quest. And I also enjoy looking for new after shaves that delight me, because I like variety in after shaves no matter what.

0 303
 11-27-2013, 01:43 PM
User Info
(11-27-2013, 10:52 AM)celestino Wrote:
(11-27-2013, 10:00 AM)david1201 Wrote: Celestino, trust me that's not all of them, just the one's that I think could keep me satisfied if I stopped buying tomorrow!

* David, I feel the same way about the Cobra's handle. It isn't very comfortable for me. I looks forward to the Hunt/Lee razor as well.

Sir, you need to try the WSP Stubby Superfine 26mm 2-band knots. I would recommend asking Lee to NOT set the knot in the handle so that you can experiment with the loft to see where you enjoy it. I would also suggest getting a custom handle for it, but the stock handles are just fine, but the loft is pre-set at 52mm or so. For the money, these are exceptional knots and, for me, they are actually softer than the HMW one you have.
Besides the usually suspects such as M&F 2XL 2-bands, Shavemac D-01 2-band and a Chubby 2 Super (luxurious at its best), the WSP Stubby 2-band is really nice. Biggrin
Good luck.

I would add to this list of knots the Manchurian from WSP if Lee brings this one back! An excellent knot for sure. Very dense but with good flow through, great backbone and ultra soft tips. Also second the recommendation on the custom handles. The current handle for these brushes Superfine Stubby and the Manchurian were just OK for me and I think a loft of 50mm works a little better for these knots IMO.

47 385
 11-27-2013, 05:47 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
And now I reached the tipping point with another order for Stirling!

19 700
 11-28-2013, 05:27 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
You need to start ADing with PS and PS stuff. Mixing your own balms is a gas. Very easy and a lot of fun. It compliments the other stuff.

0 76