11-27-2013, 07:55 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Like many my lips tend to get dry and chapped around this time of year as the weather drops.
I've really only ever used the common drugstore lip balms like Chapstick, Carmex before but I know that there are quite a few options out there. For example there are tubes vs. tubs; some are SPF rated; some are all natural or flavored. Anyone know how the higher end range from say Dr Harris or l'Occitane stack up against the more commonly found brands.
What do you guys prefer to use in the way of lip balms?

2 506
 11-27-2013, 08:19 AM
User Info
i have used lip balm from dr hauschka for about 1 year - and it has been really good. the cold winters in that part of norway where i live dries the skin and lips to a great degree but this little stick solves it all - lipvise Biggrin

however - i am quite sure the lipsaver from camaldoli to be equally good. have not tried yet but will do very soon and let you know how it goes.

[Image: 9VTEVWl.jpg]

[Image: EswIGOx.jpg]

7 1,625
 11-27-2013, 09:35 AM
User Info
* Unrefined Shea Butter
* Pure Lanolin
* Burt's Beeswax balm

75 20,883
 11-27-2013, 09:48 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
I'm addicted to it. I can't leave home without my wallet, my phone, keys and my lip balm.
My favorite one is the Neutrogena.

2 242
 11-27-2013, 11:27 AM
User Info
I use the new ones that Stirling Soap has put out. Simple ingredient list consisting of Shea Butter, Coconut Oil Beeswax, Flavor and or Essential Oils. And they have a lot of scents/flavors, like they do with soaps.

[Image: KsZSLKH.jpg]
http://stirlingsoap.com/other.html

0 303
 11-27-2013, 02:03 PM
User Info
(11-27-2013, 11:27 AM)Face Bannon Wrote: I use the new ones that Stirling Soap has put out. Simple ingredient list consisting of Shea Butter, Coconut Oil Beeswax, Flavor and or Essential Oils. And they have a lot of scents/flavors, like they do with soaps.

* These sound very nice! Smile

75 20,883
 11-27-2013, 05:30 PM
User Info
Chapstick, I cannot live without it and nothing else feels good enough on. I always have 5-6 tubes, one in the pocket at all times, each vehicle, night stand, junk drawer. I buy 3 at a time, and if I ever feel like I am gong to be out, I start digging through drawers or would have to go to the store.
I can't believe I am addicted to the stuff like I am.

31 1,800
 11-27-2013, 06:07 PM
User Info
(11-27-2013, 05:30 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: Chapstick, I cannot live without it and nothing else feels good enough on. I always have 5-6 tubes, one in the pocket at all times, each vehicle, night stand, junk drawer. I buy 3 at a time, and if I ever feel like I am gong to be out, I start digging through drawers or would have to go to the store.
I can't believe I am addicted to the stuff like I am.

uh-oh. i would become a little bit concerned perhaps? have you tried any with a bit more natural ingredients?

7 1,625
 11-27-2013, 06:46 PM
User Info
I just ordered some lip balm from Stirling Soap in French Vanilla scent. Long ago I used the original Lipaid, which I think had some vanilla too.

184 12,003
 11-27-2013, 10:41 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I just use Burt's Bees or Shea Butter. They have worked well for me.

14 1,177
 11-28-2013, 02:14 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(11-27-2013, 09:48 AM)davizera Wrote: I'm addicted to it. I can't leave home without my wallet, my phone, keys and my lip balm.

I was like that for years and years, same. Couldn't go anywhere without it. Then I ran out and kept forgetting to pick a tube up, and my lips felt BAD. Then...they recovered and felt as good as they had when I had been using it (some days later). So...I stopped completely and I found I just don't need it. My lips are just as kissy kissy Smile

0 1,625
 11-28-2013, 04:40 AM
User Info
(11-28-2013, 02:14 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(11-27-2013, 09:48 AM)davizera Wrote: I'm addicted to it. I can't leave home without my wallet, my phone, keys and my lip balm.

I was like that for years and years, same. Couldn't go anywhere without it. Then I ran out and kept forgetting to pick a tube up, and my lips felt BAD. Then...they recovered and felt as good as they had when I had been using it (some days later). So...I stopped completely and I found I just don't need it. My lips are just as kissy kissy Smile

I was somewhere in this zone -- addiction for years, followed by cold turkey, followed by not needing it and believing I could do without it. But I discovered the "non-addicted" need for it in winter. So as warm whether approaches I put it down, or try to only use it once before I leave the house, culminating in not using it during the warm season. But in winter, I still get chapped lips if I try to power all the way through without using.

But putting it down helped my stop with the 10 applications per day, always in my pocket type of use.

0 303
 11-28-2013, 09:00 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Interesting I never really though that one could overuse or become dependent on a lip balm. I've never needed to use one year round before, typically my lips get tight or chapped in the winter and usually on the colder days when I have been outside quite a bit. I noticed that a lot of the more common ones tend to be based on white petrolatum as the main ingredient. So I wonder if the natural ones would be a better option by absorbing into the skin instead of sitting on top of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

2 506
 11-28-2013, 09:12 AM
User Info
I have two more Stirling lip balms coming in my next Stirling shipment. Orange, and cinnamon.

My first two were Vanilla Lavender and Chai.

I don't think it's something that I need a lot of flavors -- I don't "rotate," but it's just something to throw in when there's going to be shipping and handling anyway.

0 303
 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM
User Info
I bought this French Vanilla lip balm somewhat blindly but was quite pleased with it. It comes in a 1-ounce screw-top tin, which should last a long time. It is very soothing and moisturizing, and its effects last at least a couple hours for me. My wife loves its scent, which she thinks is much better than two other vanilla balms she has used, and she has taken to using my tin too. My only slight regret at this point is that I didn't get the balm in the tube form, which would have fit in my pocket better and would have been a little more convenient to use. The balm in the tin costs $2.50, and shipping is not cheap at $4.00, but altogether, given how long it should last, I think it is a good deal. (I should note also that the company included with my balm a free bar of bath soap.) I would wholeheartedly recommend this balm.
[Image: qDdfQmV.jpg][Image: 3DgEtgJ.jpg][Image: cW7gpKx.jpg]

184 12,003
 01-17-2014, 01:48 PM
  • Alpha
  • Fatboy Slim
  • Central Wisconsin
User Info
For last few years I've only used Blistex SPF 15 balm.

1 52
 03-26-2014, 01:35 AM
User Info
Mango butter because im obsessed with mangos plus my boyfriend got it for me so i love it even more. But smells great too and makes your lips look kind of white so you can wear some nice pink lipstick or go nude

0 11
 03-29-2014, 06:47 PM
User Info
Carmex original with SPF

4 85
 03-30-2014, 12:05 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I generally try not to use the stuff, and keep drinking water to keep my skin hydrated. In a pinch, though, I picked up a tube of Nivea lip balm with Shea butter, and it has treated me quite well.

0 1,136
 04-04-2014, 06:48 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
[Image: nySSTph.jpg]

Lip Ivo is my long term daily lip balm. This stuff stays put on your lips and out of your mouth. 1903 original recipe distributed out of Centennial Colorado. It does not have SPF protection. I get this at my local drug store for $1.00 a tube.
Ed

50 3,425