11-27-2013, 06:24 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with gas powered remote control cars and if they could offer any suggestions (where to buy, brand/model, etc).

As crazy as it sounds, I am actually thinking of buying one for my dog to chase at the dog park (on the other side of a fence, of course). Ginger likes chasing motorcycles and the other day got a lot of running in while chasing someone else's remote control buggy. There is a dirt track all along the perimeter of the park and I figure this would be a good way for us both to play while at the park. Biggrin

Any suggestions?

45 16,345
 11-27-2013, 07:42 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
How would Ginger like chasing one of my shave maidens.......HeartHeartHeartHeart

6 1,913
 11-27-2013, 07:48 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(11-27-2013, 07:42 PM)Harvey Wrote: How would Ginger like chasing one of my shave maidens.......HeartHeartHeartHeart

Unless she is loud, Ginger likely would not be interested. Now, if your shave maiden rode a Harley, Ginger would be all over it. Biggrin

45 16,345
 11-27-2013, 07:57 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Look under HobbyTron.com or Nitro remote cars on Google...looks like a lot of them...a bit pricy $300-$800 ....might be cheaper to let my Shave maiden drive my son,s Harley...or I can ride my bike and eat a can of beans....(gas powered)...BiggrinBiggrin

6 1,913
 11-27-2013, 07:59 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(11-27-2013, 07:57 PM)Harvey Wrote: Look under HobbyTron.com or Nitro remote cars on Google...looks like a lot of them...a bit pricy $300-$800 ....might be cheaper to let my Shave maiden drive my son,s Harley...or I can ride my bike and eat a can of beans....(gas powered)...BiggrinBiggrin

45 16,345
 11-27-2013, 10:09 PM
User Info
(11-27-2013, 07:57 PM)Harvey Wrote: Look under HobbyTron.com or Nitro remote cars on Google...looks like a lot of them...a bit pricy $300-$800 ....might be cheaper to let my Shave maiden drive my son,s Harley...or I can ride my bike and eat a can of beans....(gas powered)...BiggrinBiggrin

Laughing1

Good luck, Phil!

75 20,883
 11-28-2013, 09:59 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Phil, with Harvey around you are sure to find something! Rolleyes Biggrin

2 11,211
 11-30-2013, 06:07 AM
User Info
Phil, laughed when I read this thread, I did the same thing for my lab, he had so much energy he would wear me out.

I have both gas and electric, consider a truck, the tires are larger and can handle rougher terrain.

Ok, gas! Very very fast, so fast that you can break someone's ankle if you hit them at full throttle, very expensive to repair, all those little front end parts break when you ehem, accidently hit a tree or curb. You can buy fully assembled or a kit, kits are cheaper but you have to build the truck yourself. I would recommend the kit, this way you have knowledge of the truck when you have to repair them, and you will have to repair them Wink Maintenance is not a big deal with the gas, just buy good gas and keep an extra igniter with you.

Electric, again, you can buy fully assembled or a kit, electric kits are easier to build, but parts are also expensive, electric makes no sound but a whine when you accelerates opposed to gas which has a loud gas engine spinning, two fully charged batteries was all I needed to wear out my pup.

Things to consider, every now and then the dog will catch the car, with gas the engine has the heat sink exposed to cool it, it gets hot and the dog can burn its mouth if it grabs the truck in the wrong spot, with electric you don't have that issue, gas runs longer but makes a lot of noise, my dog did not have interest in the gas when it would watch me run it, I assume from the loud noise, electric the old boy wanted to tear it up.

The smallest gas engine is more than enough to keep the dog from catching it, read above, there very very fast.

Buy local if you can, most hobby shops carry them, and when you need spare parts you can pop in and have a helpful sales person assist you. You have to buy the car and transmitter (the controller) which adds in the ball park of an additional $100-$200 depending on the sophistication you choose.

When the dog looses interest strap one of his/hers toys to the roof and your off and running again.

My suggestion would be to buy an electric kit truck, two extra batteries and a dc charger so you can charge from your car while out at the park. all in Phil you are looking at like a $400-$500 investment

Enjoy! My dog loved it.

Forgot this tidbit, if you buy gas powered, crazy glue the tires to the rims, they spin so fast you will throw the tire right off the rim.

0 86
 11-30-2013, 04:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thank you Marty -I think your suggestion to buy local is excellent. This way I can kind of compare and contrast.

45 16,345