11-27-2013, 06:32 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I've been doing some testing to find just how far my GEM Personna Stainless Steel SE blades can take me. I've been keeping track of the number of trips I get with each and every one of my SE's. I have come to the conclusion that I get 7 close shaves and perhaps 2 more OK shaves before they give up the ghost. So I will go with 7. Who wants just an OK shave? This is across the board in all 7 of my current SE's.... Can I hear from my LOSER brethren as to how many laps you get?

My next experiment will be to compare a regular Gem Personna Stainless to a PTFE Stainless. To me they shave the same. I haven't compared them next to each other as far as longevity.... I'll post the results as soon as they become available.

HAPPY SHAVES EVERYONE !!!!

5 1,151
 11-27-2013, 07:09 PM
User Info
Sav, you know I'm good for 14, sometimes a couple more. I shave daily and hand strop and pat dry the blade after every use.

47 1,270
 11-27-2013, 10:33 PM
User Info
I get somewhere between 14 and 20 shaves before they either don't give me a BBS anymore (by losing efficiency) or I lose my patience and I just can the darn thing.

32 6,311
 11-27-2013, 10:41 PM
User Info
(11-27-2013, 07:09 PM)kentclark Wrote: Sav, you know I'm good for 14, sometimes a couple more. I shave daily and hand strop and pat dry the blade after every use.

(11-27-2013, 10:33 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I get somewhere between 14 and 20 shaves before they either don't give me a BBS anymore (by losing efficiency) or I lose my patience and I just can the darn thing.

Me 3!

31 7,914
 11-27-2013, 10:49 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Hmm, while I can typically get 12 neck-shaves out of a DE blade, I can only tease about 5 shaves from a stainless steel GEM (PTFE coated or not) and about 3 out of a Treet carbon steel blade.

- Murray

4 1,150
 11-28-2013, 08:25 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Using a Cobra Razor and Feather Pro-Guard I can get up to 20 shaves but choose to stop after 2 weeks or so about 15 shaves. Why risk a bad shave if I don't have to.

57 917
 11-28-2013, 08:33 AM
User Info
Seven is the number for me as well. After that there's usually a bit of tugging, so I just quit while I'm ahead.
I should add I use the GEM Teflon blades, but the same mileage goes for all the SE blades I've tried. The one treet blade I tried may have been the best of them, need to get my hands on a few more though :-)
...sent from mobile device...

37 403
 11-28-2013, 09:31 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I have a few Treet blades that I've never tried. I'm going to give them a spin..... Thanks.
(11-28-2013, 08:33 AM)emcphers Wrote: Seven is the number for me as well. After that there's usually a bit of tugging, so I just quit while I'm ahead.
I should add I use the GEM Teflon blades, but the same mileage goes for all the SE blades I've tried. The one treet blade I tried may have been the best of them, need to get my hands on a few more though :-)
...sent from mobile device...

5 1,151
 12-28-2013, 01:04 PM
User Info
I've been giving this some thought lately. OK, here's why.

I've mentioned in the past that I like the GEM SS ptfe blades after a few shaves. Well, it actually goes beyound that. I actually get a better shave from them after a lot more shaves are on the blade. The blade isn't better, it's just that I get an easier BBS. Today I think I figured out why. I'm and older guy and as one ages one gets wrinkles; or at least I do. It probably isn't old age, more likely weathering and experience (unh, hunh! Keep telling yourself that Brian!).

With a new extremely sharp blade I'm careful to use no pressure and those creases hide whiskers. It takes a bit more balde buffing to get those hiders. When the blade has a bit of age on it I can use a hair more pressure to press flatter those creases and the BBS I want is obtained with less effort. Of course that condition lasts until the blade starts to lose efficiency, then it just stops cutting and the BBS is no longer obtained.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! That's the best I can come up with to understand my partiality to a blade with age on it.

Maybe I should start swapping new blades for older. Biggrin

32 6,311
 01-03-2014, 07:33 PM
User Info
I get between 5-10 smooth shaves out of an SE blade typically.

To be honest, I have never attempted to push one further than that.

63 2,128
 01-04-2014, 04:32 AM
User Info
So far I can't get a good shave out of the Stainless or PTFE blades no matter what I do. I've gone to the carbon steel blades.

With the carbon steel blades I get 5 or 6 very nice comfortable shaves and then the darn things just seem to stop working. No pulling, tugging, etc., they just stop cutting.

That's all folks

4 952
 01-04-2014, 04:27 PM
User Info
That's odd Michael. At least the carbons give you good longevity. They rust during their first shave in my water.

31 7,914
 01-05-2014, 09:45 PM
User Info
I agree, that's very odd. The shave or lack thereof from the SS ptfe blades that is. It's the first time I ever heard that. But that's why YMMV was coined. It'd be a very dull world if we were all the same.

Mike, have you tried treating the blades with mineral oil as they're installed and replenish the oil after each shave? Just a few drops, 2-3, top and bottom of the blade at installation is actually too much. A drop top and bottom after the shave should be plenty. When I used carbon steel blades I actually used Skin-so-Soft, because it was at hand. But it's basically scented mineral oil.

That oil treatment might help if you have MO on hand. I don't know if I'd go out of my way to buy it if you're getting 5 shaves from a blade now. It might not work for you.

32 6,311
 04-15-2014, 08:05 AM
User Info
(12-28-2013, 01:04 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I've been giving this some thought lately. OK, here's why.

I've mentioned in the past that I like the GEM SS ptfe blades after a few shaves. Well, it actually goes beyound that. I actually get a better shave from them after a lot more shaves are on the blade. The blade isn't better, it's just that I get an easier BBS. Today I think I figured out why. I'm and older guy and as one ages one gets wrinkles; or at least I do. It probably isn't old age, more likely weathering and experience (unh, hunh! Keep telling yourself that Brian!).

With a new extremely sharp blade I'm careful to use no pressure and those creases hide whiskers. It takes a bit more balde buffing to get those hiders. When the blade has a bit of age on it I can use a hair more pressure to press flatter those creases and the BBS I want is obtained with less effort. Of course that condition lasts until the blade starts to lose efficiency, then it just stops cutting and the BBS is no longer obtained.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! That's the best I can come up with to understand my partiality to a blade with age on it.

Maybe I should start swapping new blades for older. Biggrin

Since I've written the above (in red specifically) I've been noticing for at least the past few blades, but probably more, the blade gets really good after 3-4 shaves. OK, nothing new there. It'll stay good up to about shave 11, then I begin to doubt whether I'll get anymore shaves out of it and "Should I can it now?". Then it comes alive again. Of course this references the GEM SS ptfe blades.

If it was just one observation I wouldn't have posted this, but I bet I've noticed this for at least the past few months at least. I began to really realize it a few months ago.

I'm at a complete loss to understand this.

32 6,311