04-25-2012, 12:07 AM
User Info
I'm new to DE shaving and my collection is still rather small, but here's what I've collected thus far:

Two boxes of ARKO (three of the sticks are in a Pyrex container); Feather blades; Perma-Sharp blades (Russian); Astra Superior Platinum blades; Precision blades:

[Image: My-Stuff-1.jpg]

Gillette "Red Tip" (AKA "The Heavy"); Edwin Jagger DE87; Edwin Jagger "best" badger hair brush (in faux ivory . . . as you can see); two tubs of RazoRock Classic shaving soap (I only have one tub left):

[Image: Cousin.jpg]

Not pictured is Tabac shaving soap, Tabac aftershave, and Mitchell's wool fat shaving soap; those will be arriving in the mail soon -- perhaps even tomorrow (I hope!).

[Image: mitchell-s-wool-fat-shaving-soap-in-cera...2297-p.jpg] [Image: Tabac_scheerkom.jpg]

[Image: Tabac_Original_After_Shave_Splash_300ml_10oz_9702.jpg]

In the near future I plan on adding Booster Polar Ice aftershave, Speick soap sticks, RazoRock artisan shaving soaps and, perhaps, Cella to my collection.

0 214
 04-25-2012, 02:48 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Good choice of blades, razors and soaps!

27 1,296
 04-25-2012, 04:03 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great choice of shaving goodies.

1 3,507
 04-25-2012, 05:20 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
A wonderful start. Keep up the good work! Thumbup

35 2,703
 04-25-2012, 05:24 AM
User Info
Great start! Those Perma-Sharp are awesome!

2 5,532
 04-25-2012, 06:24 AM
User Info
Very nice indeed.
Can you share more about the Gillette Red tip? I am out to get one Gillette SuperSpeed for my collection and still learning about performance and price. Where did you get yours from?

Enjoy your shaves!

7 358
 04-25-2012, 06:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice start. Looks like you have enough Arko to last you until you get my age. Smile The red tip and DE87 are both excellent razors.

You are really going to enjoy the MWF and TABAC.

173 23,535
 04-25-2012, 08:04 AM
User Info
Very nice!

1 223
 04-25-2012, 09:46 AM
  • donoma
  • Birmingham, AL
User Info
Wow that is a lot of Arko

0 64
 04-25-2012, 10:45 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Could you compare the EJ87 and the red tip? Which have you found to work the best?

45 3,955
 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM
User Info
(04-25-2012, 06:24 AM)VerbaVolant Wrote: Can you share more about the Gillette Red tip? I am out to get one Gillette SuperSpeed for my collection and still learning about performance and price. Where did you get yours from?

The Red Tip's handle is quite a bit shorter than the DE87's.

The Red Tip's weight is about the same as the DE87's.

Performance-wise, the Red Tip gives similar results to the DE87. I think it might be slightly more aggressive than the DE87, but not much. Some people may like that extra aggressiveness; I don't mind it since I don't have to shave every day. Don't listen to people who tell you that the Red Tip is a harsh razor. I certainly haven't found this to be the case.

I paid way more for my Red Tip than most people would (it came to about $70 CAD including shipping), but it's in stellar condition. I didn't want to bother with an auction which is why I ended up paying so much. You should be able to find a Red Tip on Ebay, that is in slightly worse shape than mine is in, for as cheap as $30. It seems to go for slightly more money than most other SuperSpeed razors.

(04-25-2012, 10:45 AM)tgutc Wrote: Could you compare the EJ87 and the red tip? Which have you found to work the best?

I find that they give me about the same results, so I switch between the two razors without much thought.

The main (trivial) difference between the razors is that the Red Tip's handle feels nicer in the hand (it has great knurling), and the DE87 feels nicer against my face when I'm shaving (I prefer its comb to that which the Red Tip has). Biggrin

0 214
 04-26-2012, 05:09 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I think you need more Arko. Wink

I noticed you asking questions in the A/S subforum about healing properties an the like. You also seem to like soaps.

In addition to MWF, which always leaves my skin feeling great, you should check out Mystic Waters and Mike's Natural Soaps. Great soaps for shaving, that also have wonderful skin-care properties.

10 1,858
 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
  • Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn
User Info
(04-25-2012, 12:07 AM)Pnume Wrote: I'm new to DE shaving and my collection is still rather small, but here's what I've collected thus far:

Two boxes of ARKO (three of the sticks are in a Pyrex container); Feather blades; Perma-Sharp blades (Russian); Astra Superior Platinum blades; Precision blades:

[Image: My-Stuff-1.jpg]

That is a nice collection.
Could you please give your opinion for Perma-Sharp blades compared to the Astra and Feather. I plan to get either Perma-Sharp or Astra and not sure if I should get Perma-Sharp blades since they cost more.
Another question where did you purchase Perma-Sharp blades?
Thanks.

7 147
 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
User Info
All of that will store great, and it's the best way to buy most shave items, so you're right on track with your ADs! Biggrin Welcome to ADs anonymous! ("Hi, my name is Brian and I have AD...")

OK, despite the joking, that's a good solid den so far.

32 6,309
 04-26-2012, 08:43 PM
User Info
Very nice collection, sir! Congrats on the Jets coming back home!!

75 20,883
 04-26-2012, 10:30 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-25-2012, 08:47 PM)Pnume Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 06:24 AM)VerbaVolant Wrote: Can you share more about the Gillette Red tip? I am out to get one Gillette SuperSpeed for my collection and still learning about performance and price. Where did you get yours from?

The Red Tip's handle is quite a bit shorter than the DE87's.

The Red Tip's weight is about the same as the DE87's.

Performance-wise, the Red Tip gives similar results to the DE87. I think it might be slightly more aggressive than the DE87, but not much. Some people may like that extra aggressiveness; I don't mind it since I don't have to shave every day. Don't listen to people who tell you that the Red Tip is a harsh razor. I certainly haven't found this to be the case.

I paid way more for my Red Tip than most people would (it came to about $70 CAD including shipping), but it's in stellar condition. I didn't want to bother with an auction which is why I ended up paying so much. You should be able to find a Red Tip on Ebay, that is in slightly worse shape than mine is in, for as cheap as $30. It seems to go for slightly more money than most other SuperSpeed razors.

(04-25-2012, 10:45 AM)tgutc Wrote: Could you compare the EJ87 and the red tip? Which have you found to work the best?

I find that they give me about the same results, so I switch between the two razors without much thought.

The main (trivial) difference between the razors is that the Red Tip's handle feels nicer in the hand (it has great knurling), and the DE87 feels nicer against my face when I'm shaving (I prefer its comb to that which the Red Tip has). Biggrin

IMHO this is a spot on comparison of these two razors.

173 23,535
 05-12-2012, 09:04 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wow, you won't run out of Arko anytime soon! Tongue

I'm keen to learn your thoughts on the Perma Sharp blades too.

91 17,850
 05-12-2012, 09:21 PM
User Info
(05-12-2012, 09:04 PM)ben74 Wrote: Wow, you won't run out of Arko anytime soon! Tongue

To me they feel quite similar to Astra SP blades, but longer-lasting. They feel fresh even after multiple uses.

People who're fond of Super Iridium blades usually find these to be an adequate replacement for those blades. In fact, some people even think that these are Super Iridium blades. I remember reading somewhere that Gillette/Proctor and Gamble Russia claimed that while they were going to stop making blades under the name "Super Iridium", they were going to continue making the same blades under a different brand name.

I've heard multiple people say that Perma-Sharp blades are better than Feather blades, Personna Medical Prep blades, Astra SP blades and Gillette 7 'O Clock Yellow blades -- arguably the most acclaimed blades in the shaving world -- so you'll definitely will want to check these out sometime.

0 214
 05-12-2012, 09:25 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-12-2012, 09:21 PM)Pnume Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 09:04 PM)ben74 Wrote: Wow, you won't run out of Arko anytime soon! Tongue

To me they feel quite similar to Astra SP blades, but longer-lasting. They feel fresh even after multiple uses.

People who're fond of Super Iridium blades usually find these to be an adequate replacement for those blades. In fact, some people even think that these are Super Iridium blades. I remember reading somewhere that Gillette/Proctor and Gamble Russia claimed that while they were going to stop making blades under the name "Super Iridium", they were going to continue making the same blades under a different brand name.

I've heard multiple people say that Perma-Sharp blades are better than Feather blades, Personna Medical Prep blades, Astra SP blades and Gillette 7 'O Clock Yellow blades -- arguably the most acclaimed blades in the shaving world -- so you'll definitely will want to check these out sometime.

Thanks for the response. The Super Iridium is my favourite blade! Seems like I'm going to need to try these Perma Sharps for myself!

91 17,850
 05-12-2012, 09:33 PM
User Info
(05-12-2012, 09:25 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 09:21 PM)Pnume Wrote:

Thanks for the response. The Super Iridium is my favourite blade! Seems like I'm going to need to try these Perma Sharps for myself!

You might have yourself an adequate replacement for those blades then.

Just one thing: If you buy Perma-Sharp blades, be sure to get the Russian-made ones.

0 214