11-30-2013, 09:40 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I never see anything anymore about the Feather AS-D2. They made quite a stir when they came out.Then silence. I haven't even seen one up for re-sale in months.

57 917
 11-30-2013, 10:33 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I think a lot of people are not too excited about them because they are only a bit more agressive than the first one,look the same and there are so many better razors out there so really no big deal any more...just one of many average high priced ...we expected more and got the same...

6 1,913
 11-30-2013, 12:17 PM
User Info
I can write a follow up review.

I can tell you how it will end though...

I have had many shaving addictions for soaps, creams and brushes (so expensive) but after the feather no razors have tempted me.

Sure the old Gillette's are beautiful, but in terms of performance (if used correctly) the feather is the ultimate in Zen shave!

I can get a BBS shave all over in 2 passes, no nicks, no redness.... just smooooooth.

1 167
 11-30-2013, 12:34 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I like my AS D2 its an improvement over the d1 imo but not all agree. Im not sure i can tell it much if any more aggressive than the d1 but the angle is easier to find (more conventinal like an ej89 or 34c)

115 1,692
 11-30-2013, 12:38 PM
User Info
I suspect there is not much talk any more about them because there is only so much that can be said without repetition. And I think they don't come up on BST for sale because their owners are happy with them.

184 12,003
 11-30-2013, 12:56 PM
User Info
(11-30-2013, 12:38 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I suspect there is not much talk any more about them because there is only so much that can be said without repetition. And I think they don't come up on BST for sale because their owners are happy with them.

+1 I would also agree with this and I have been wanting to try one out of curiosity as I am only using my DLC. Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-30-2013, 04:05 PM
User Info
For what I can see, a lot of people bought it, but very few end up on BST.
That's gotta mean something.... Smile I, like John, believe that their owners are happy with them, and don't want to let them go.

2 5,532
 11-30-2013, 04:17 PM
User Info
I also agree that it's generally a good sign if razors don't turn up on the BST much. It means that people knew what they were going to get, they got it, and they're happy with it. So there's no need to sell it.

Razors that wind up on the BST a lot are usually there because their buyers expected something other than what they got. That's generally why I sell my razors - because they didn't match what I wanted or was expecting (or because I got bored and wanted to buy something else Biggrin).

37 1,731
 12-01-2013, 07:20 AM
User Info
how do they compare in aggressiveness/effectiveness compared to something like a weber, 34HD or de89.

11 830
 12-01-2013, 11:34 AM
User Info
I can only comment on the 34HD.

34HD for me was more aggressive 'feel'. The blade on the feather is heavily curved and follows the contour of the razor head. Therefore as you take a stroke (with the correct angle) you feel the smooth curvature of the safety bar.

With the 34hd IMO the blade is more exposed and at a flatter angle, therefore it relies more so on the user to monitor angle and pressure.

I would say the 34HD is easier to achieve a close shave, however the trade off is the skin care if not handled correctly. Whereas the feather does still take some time to master (less than the ASD1) but achieves maximum skin care.

1 167
 12-02-2013, 08:53 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Funny thing happened today. I need another razor like I need a third armpit. But I have been intregued with the AS- D2. I looked today on cyber mon hoping some one would discount it but the cheapest I could find it was $173.99 on e-bay. Said to myself no way I am not spending that kind of money on something I don't need. Went off and played poker instead. Amazing 2 hours into the game I was exactly $175 ahead. Figured it was a sign from G-d. Quit the game and ordered the razor. I figured who am I to argue with G-d.

57 917
 12-02-2013, 09:02 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-02-2013, 08:53 PM)Barrylu Wrote: Funny thing happened today. I need another razor like I need a third armpit. But I have been intregued with the AS- D2. I looked today on cyber mon hoping some one would discount it but the cheapest I could find it was $173.99 on e-bay. Said to myself no way I am not spending that kind of money on something I don't need. Went off and played poker instead. Amazing 2 hours into the game I was exactly $175 ahead. Figured it was a sign from G-d. Quit the game and ordered the razor. I figured who am I to argue with G-d.

Can't possibly argue with this logic! Biggrin

88 4,233
 12-02-2013, 09:29 PM
User Info
(12-02-2013, 09:02 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(12-02-2013, 08:53 PM)Barrylu Wrote: Funny thing happened today. I need another razor like I need a third armpit. But I have been intregued with the AS- D2. I looked today on cyber mon hoping some one would discount it but the cheapest I could find it was $173.99 on e-bay. Said to myself no way I am not spending that kind of money on something I don't need. Went off and played poker instead. Amazing 2 hours into the game I was exactly $175 ahead. Figured it was a sign from G-d. Quit the game and ordered the razor. I figured who am I to argue with G-d.

Can't possibly argue with this logic! Biggrin

+2 Baryy, please, post a review of the razor along with pics, of course! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-03-2013, 02:02 AM
User Info

That's a great story, for sure share what you think.

11 830
 12-03-2013, 03:13 AM
User Info
I bought the AS-D1 twice with the stand in 2012, sold both because they could not, I repeat, they could not Cut more han 15-20% of my beard stubble.

Then took a chance and bought the AS-D2 6-7 months ago, just when it was released, and immediately found it gave me a better shave, or should I say a less awful shave Tongue

It still is my mildest razor by far, only comparable to my Goodfella in this regard.
But it cuts my stubble, and I sometimes use it when I shave daily in a short period (I'm a 3-4 times a week shaver, that like to let my skin rest a day in between shaves)

My stubbles are pretty coarse, and even with a new Feather blade in the AS-D2 I would never be able to use this razor as my only razor. It's good fun to use it once in a while, but I get far better shaves with my R41 2011, R41 2012, Above the Tie's, Tradere OC, and my Joris razors.

I also own the Pils razor, and the Feather and my Pils are probably still the best looking and most solid built razors in my collection.
The Pils is also very mild by the way.
My 4 Ikon stainless DE razors all rival the build quality of my Feather AS-D2, but the Feather is just that tad bit better quality wise, not shave wise.

I only keep my Feather, because now is it a usable alternative in my DE razor collection, but I only keep because I collect DE razors. Otherwise it would be sold because it still is too mild for my beard type.

22 5,070
 12-03-2013, 04:02 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find the Feather too mild to make the expense worth it. Look nice, but so do white elephants; you wouldn't want to own one

0 1,625
 12-08-2013, 08:21 AM
User Info
I just traded for an AS-D2. Milder/gentler products work better on my sensitive skin although I do own a couple of aggressive razors and stiff 2-band brushes. I can get a great shave with a Jagger 89 head and a Gillette Black or Feather blade, so I think the AS-D2 should be a good fit for me.

66 692
 12-08-2013, 08:35 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Both the D1 and D2 were mild, but entirely usable razors for me. However, neither stayed as they weren't reached for often enough to warrant the investment. I do prefer a more aggressive tool, but I really couldn't fault them.

91 17,875
 12-09-2013, 01:51 AM
User Info
(12-08-2013, 08:35 AM)ben74 Wrote: Both the D1 and D2 were mild, but entirely usable razors for me. However, neither stayed as they weren't reached for often enough to warrant the investment. I do prefer a more aggressive tool, but I really couldn't fault them.

out of curiosity, what are some of your favorite more aggressive razors? i want to try some more aggressive razors without going as far as a 2011 r41.

11 830
 12-09-2013, 03:35 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
On the main question where is AS-D2? I will tell you!

Is on the way to me by courier Tongue

11 861