Poll: Does Booster aftershave have good healing properties?
 04-25-2012, 04:49 AM
User Info
I was browsing various shaving vendors the other day and came across a classic Canadian aftershave called Booster which costs hardly anything; you can get a large, 400 ml bottle of it for just $12 CAD.

I'm curious: Does this stuff have good healing properties? Considering how cheap it is, I doubt it smells that good. But if it has good healing properties, I'll probably go through with buying a bottle or two of it.

[Image: displayimage.php?imageid=15298]

0 214
 04-25-2012, 08:20 AM
User Info
I would say, not really.

It's basically alcohol, water, with a little glycerin. It's not bad. The one I had smelled really good.

But if you expecting something like Speick forget it.

In general, I don't think any aftershave will compensate for poor technique or magically heal razorburn. To me the purpose of AS is to disinfect your face and leave a nice scent that doesn't stick around.

If you want moisture, get a real moisturizer.

If you have razor burn, work on your technique and buy some aloe vera gel or something to help with the burn.

0 189
 04-25-2012, 07:20 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
My limited experience with "jug" aftershaves is they're rather low on the performance scale. Still, I've never tried Booster's.

35 2,703
 04-25-2012, 07:27 PM
User Info
i found it to be absolute Crap. burned my face, all alcohol.

for $8 for a 500ml or whatever it was, it was still overpriced.

8 2,718
 04-26-2012, 04:44 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(04-25-2012, 08:20 AM)cvac Wrote: I would say, not really.

It's basically alcohol, water, with a little glycerin. It's not bad. The one I had smelled really good.

But if you expecting something like Speick forget it.

In general, I don't think any aftershave will compensate for poor technique or magically heal razorburn. To me the purpose of AS is to disinfect your face and leave a nice scent that doesn't stick around.

If you want moisture, get a real moisturizer.

If you have razor burn, work on your technique and buy some aloe vera gel or something to help with the burn.

+1.

I have Boosters Mosswood and I like it a lot. The scent is great, it's not long lasting and it doesn't burn, unless I've had a rough shave. I use AS to disinfect my face post shave.

7 1,018
 04-26-2012, 09:46 AM
User Info
Quote:I'm curious: Does this stuff have good healing properties?
Yeah, it will heal you from ever buying it again.Biggrin

(04-25-2012, 07:27 PM)brucered Wrote: i found it to be absolute Crap. burned my face, all alcohol.

Pretty close!

7 358
 04-26-2012, 10:08 AM
User Info
9 bucks isn't bad for 14 ounces, look at what Aqua Velva goes for. It took me forever to use up a bottle of the Polar Ice. It's not bad stuff and it does what it's supposed to do.

Clayton

6 617
 04-30-2012, 02:57 AM
User Info
I've got the Lilac, and its a decent splash wouldn't say it has any healing properties though; however it doesn't bother my face one bit... The scents of Boosters don't linger around very long though.

0 652
 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM
User Info
(04-25-2012, 07:27 PM)Bruce Wrote: i found it to be absolute Crap. burned my face, all alcohol.

I just stumbled across this. Bruce gave me a sample with my recent purchase from him. I actually kind of like it.

12 94
 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM
User Info
(05-06-2013, 07:35 PM)AABCDS Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 07:27 PM)Bruce Wrote: i found it to be absolute Crap. burned my face, all alcohol.

I just stumbled across this. Bruce gave me a sample with my recent purchase from him. I actually kind of like it.

that quote was going way back. it was before I new how to use a splash Blush i picked up Lilac at a local barber, and it lit me up and was my first experience with an alcohol splash. i've actually gone full splash since the beginning of the year and am really seeing the benefits to splashes now. i can skip the WH and it helps tell how good my shave is...gets the irritation out of the way instantly and my face feels great after the initial little (or a lot) burn.

the boosters mosswood I sent you actually made my face feel great initially, went on smooth and slick and left it moisturised after it dried, but I'm guessing there was something in the scent that didn't play well with my face and i would get itchy a while after I put it on.

post sabbatical, I'll be looking to try another bottle of Boosters to give it one more shot. smells are great, it's cheap and hopefully still available locally for me.

8 2,718
 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
(05-06-2013, 07:42 PM)Bruce Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 07:35 PM)AABCDS Wrote:

that quote was going way back. it was before I new how to use a splash Blush i picked up Lilac at a local barber, and it lit me up and was my first experience with an alcohol splash. i've actually gone full splash since the beginning of the year and am really seeing the benefits to splashes now. i can skip the WH and it helps tell how good my shave is...gets the irritation out of the way instantly and my face feels great after the initial little (or a lot) burn.

the boosters mosswood I sent you actually made my face feel great initially, went on smooth and slick and left it moisturised after it dried, but I'm guessing there was something in the scent that didn't play well with my face and i would get itchy a while after I put it on.

post sabbatical, I'll be looking to try another bottle of Boosters to give it one more shot. smells are great, it's cheap and hopefully still available locally for me.
I love the Booster splashes. Lilac is one of my favorites and gives me a little more burn than the other Booster splashes too. When your sabbatical is over try June Clover and/or Aquarius. They smell great and are smoother than the Lilac. Mosswood is good a choice too!

19 414
 05-07-2013, 02:51 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I really like the Polar Ice. It smells great.

45 3,955
 05-07-2013, 02:54 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I have been using the Booster Oriental Spice for several months and think not only does it smell nice but does help in the healing process and will not harm your skin. Basic after shave is meant to make you smell good.

100 12,445
 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM
User Info
I don't know about them helping the healing process, but I really like the Boosters splashes. I have the Polar Ice and the Mosswood.

Another splash that gets no love on the forums is Stephan's. It's another brand that I like.

37 1,731
 05-07-2013, 05:30 PM
User Info
Amazon must have been following the thread ... They have it now for 17$ a bottle!

5 410
 05-07-2013, 06:39 PM
User Info
I had the Lilac. Didn't like it at first, but I added a healthy dose of witch hazel (maybe 3:1 Boosters to witch hazel) and it worked pretty well for me, I couldn't wait to get rid of it by the end and PIFd as much as I could.

0 64
 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM
User Info
It's okay. The Mosswood smells pretty good but after I used it a few times I kept passing it over for Harris or Speick.

15 762