12-02-2013, 02:56 AM
User Info
I´d been less than a year shaving my face with a Semogue 1800, and now I believe that my skin would be more relieved with a badger brush. (I read a lot about the badgers softness).

I´ve never had one before, so please, suggestions for a beginner.

I rather not spend all my funds for my first badger, becuase in case it doesn´t help my skin I´ll be very sad and out of cash Undecided Biggrin

Thanks in advanced! Angel

0 5
 12-02-2013, 03:06 AM
User Info
The advice i ended up giving my brother is 1) a LOT of people around here really enjoy the whipped dog knot and it's one of the most inexpensive silvertip there is. he found his for 27 dollars.

Vintagebladesllc has their name brand 2-band for sale, and it is supposed to have extremely soft gel like tips.

And finally, an inexpensive simpsons best knot is fantastic. I have 2 of those and they are surprisingly soft...i'm not sure if they're a true representation of how a best badger brush is supposed to feel but it's real soft.

Now if you just want to buy a fantastic brush for a bit more money, but knowing it's supposed to be as soft as they come the thater knots are supposed to be amazing.

9 149
 12-02-2013, 04:56 AM
  • Doc
  • Paris
User Info
Simpson what else?Smile

1 205
 12-02-2013, 04:57 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Ufgoodies had a great response for you. Check out the items for sale/trade on our forum too.

19 700
 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM
User Info
simpson wee scot, a small reasonably cheap brush that out performs many of its larger more expensive cousins.

0 199
 12-03-2013, 09:59 AM
User Info
Companero, a TGN Finest 2-band badger might work very well for you. Very nice backbone with very soft tips. Good luck.

75 20,883
 12-03-2013, 01:09 PM
User Info
(12-02-2013, 10:16 AM)stanthony Wrote: simpson wee scot, a small reasonably cheap brush that out performs many of its larger more expensive cousins.

I´ll take the wee scot into account, the size doesn´t hook me tough.

(12-03-2013, 09:59 AM)celestino Wrote: Companero, a TGN Finest 2-band badger might work very well for you. Very nice backbone with very soft tips. Good luck.

Tell me more about how to find TGN Finest 2band badger, because I´m a newbie in this world.

Thanks for all your responses.

0 5
 12-03-2013, 01:41 PM
User Info
Look at a Black Fibre synthetic brush from Mühle. You can find a great brush from Connaught Shaving for less than $50 shipped.

If looking for badger only then you've already been given great advice.

31 7,914
 12-04-2013, 05:49 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Semogue 1800 is an excellent brush and if yours is broken in (most tips are split), then I doubt you will find a softer tipped brush in badger. That said, for an inexpensive and really good badger I recommend making your own with TGN two band finest knot. TGN stands for "The Golden Nib" and is a vendor that sells shaving brush knots and other brush making supplies as well as fountain pen making supplies. The website is http://www.thegoldennib.com and the page for two band finest knots is here. You have to know how to make a shaving brush and have a handle for it, though. If you do not want to learn how to do it (it's not difficult), then pick up a brush with one of these knots from one of the vendors here. There are many really amazing craftsmen on here that make beautiful brushes with TGN finest knots. I recommend a brush made with a 22mm Finest XH Bulb. This would make a brush about 24mm and if set to about 48mm loft or so it will be one of the best badger brushes out there. I made one using an inexpensive handle from Whipped Dog Shaving and it is one of my best brushes. You can see the process here (scroll down past the boar brush making part). My brush was made using a 20mm knot making a 22mm brush, but a 22mm knot making a 24mm brush is amazing! I made that one too, but in fan shape instead of bulb.

Good luck on your search, but I think a well broken in 1800 should be pretty darned soft tipped. Mine is...

25 1,705
 12-04-2013, 06:26 AM
User Info
I'd also recommend a TGN Finest knot 24mm, 48mm loft or so.

There are many great vendors making custom handles - Rudy Vey & Elite Razor are two of my favorites.

47 1,114
 12-04-2013, 10:00 AM
User Info
P.S. my brother said he was astonished with his silvertip brush, and still hasn't stopped talking about how much he loves his "little face cloud"

9 149
 12-05-2013, 07:44 AM
User Info
(12-04-2013, 10:00 AM)Ufgoodies Wrote: P.S. my brother said he was astonished with his silvertip brush, and still hasn't stopped talking about how much he loves his "little face cloud"

little cloud is exactly what comes to mind when using one of my TGN finest 2 bands. SO soft. great knots. I'd most certainly recommend them to get you into brushes, great prices too. Regardless of what you buy it wont really matter since it will be the first of manyyyy...

11 830
 12-05-2013, 09:01 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(12-02-2013, 02:56 AM)Slant Wrote: I´ve never had one before, so please, suggestions for a beginner.
Hope these help Wink
Badger Grade: a description of experience
Good chinese seller, IMHO
eBay: Ace Shaving
eBay: Classic Shop 2012 (Liojuny)
eBay: Frank Shaving (Factory)
eBay: Ian Tang's Shaving (Frank Shaving - Reseller)
eBay: Virginia Shaving

0 1,096
 12-05-2013, 11:47 AM
User Info
I would also like to say that my first boar was a Van Der Haggen 2-5 dollar brush...i upgraded to badger for a few brushes, and then ended up getting a SOC because there was something that was missing that my VDH boar had that the more expensive badgers didn't. Once My Semogue was broken in i realized that even with mid level badgers, the boars have a certain smoothness...well a specific luxurious face feel that is hard to describe that the badgers miss.

If you upgrade to badger, don't be surprised if you still pull up your boar for that special something. Boars are great brushes...and some day you should try and pick up a mistura (badger boar mixed type brush.) They have a Barbear Classico Mistura at Vintagescent.com for sale for less than $50.00 or 35.00 euro's without VAT. Just a thought. it's been getting great reviews so far.

9 149
 12-05-2013, 11:54 AM
User Info
I wish that early on in my "hobby" that I had tried a Simpsons Best Badger. There are some reasonably priced ones out there which will last a lifetime. The only "best" or "pure" or "finest" hair type i have ever liked.

129 6,685
 12-05-2013, 03:06 PM
User Info
The Simpsons line is not only amazing on your face, they are some of the most ergonomic brushes i've had in my hand. The Rover and the Phyl feel like they're build to be in my hand and on my cheeck...oh wait, they were Wink

They say Simpsons Best is a step above...I say Wingdo is right. You will not regret buying a Simpsons Best. Though the semogue mixed brushes and Whipped dog, TGN all have a pretty vocal following Wink

9 149
 12-06-2013, 12:47 PM
User Info
Think Im gonna try the whipped dog ones and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice(specially to Ufgoodies for his help)

0 5
 12-06-2013, 02:33 PM
User Info
My brother went with that one as well and loves it. Let us know your thoughts when you get it in hand and on face Smile

9 149