12-02-2013, 12:11 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Hey everyone! I thought this would be the best place to post this as it is camera related.

I just wanted to give the heads up that the full download of Adobe Lightroom 5 is going for $90 from Adobe.com. The sale ends tonight.

Personally I bought it because I have heard too many whispers about pulling the full software downloads off the shelf, and only having the Creative Cloud to work with, and I refuse to pay that monthly fee to acces the software. (whispers according to the photo forums anyway)

Since there are a few of us who are photographers here, I thought this may be of interest.

Luke

1 608
 12-02-2013, 12:23 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Great minds think alike, Luke ... I just ordered a copy earlier this afternoon. Smile

102 17,665
 12-02-2013, 12:53 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Heard great things about Lightroom.

As far as I know, there is no plan to pull the product from the shelves as of yet. However I will save almost 400 dollars over the course of 18 mos (standard update schedule) by switching to CC over the physical discs.

Personally, I think the CC is an excellent option, and the direction in which everything is moving.

CC Photoshop and Lightroom is only 9.99 a month. That's a great price.

14 1,177
 12-02-2013, 01:35 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Lightroom is great! I was toying around with 5 when it first came out and fell in love. I don't know how to hardly do anything on it, but what I do know helps out the photos a lot.

The $9 for CC is a really good price too, factoring in the price of the software if buying it straight.

1 608
 12-02-2013, 01:53 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
(12-02-2013, 01:35 PM)Lradke Wrote: Lightroom is great! I was toying around with 5 when it first came out and fell in love. I don't know how to hardly do anything on it, but what I do know helps out the photos a lot.

The $9 for CC is a really good price too, factoring in the price of the software if buying it straight.

http://digital-photography-school.com/ has tons of Lightroom tutorials.

When you factor in the update schedule and the cost of upgrade versions etc, the CC really does make sense. Especially if the software is your lively hood. The cost of the CS6 Design Standard (what I use everyday) is 1299.00, Createve Cloud costs 49.99 a month (and you get their WYSWYG webdesign app). If you factor in an 18 month upgrade schedule it'll run you 899.82 for CC versus the 1299.00 plus the upgrade costs for the boxed Creative Suite. Doesn't mean they won't change their pricing, but I can't imagine they would change that much.

I also read just a few minutes ago that they were phasing out shrink wrapped versions of their Creative Suite 6 line and switching all to digital download. However you can still do digital download of the CS6, and all other software lines, and not pay a monthly fee if you choose.

14 1,177
 12-02-2013, 08:36 PM
User Info
Wow, all of this stuff is way over my head! Boy, do I have so much to learn! I am still in the infancy of photography, really! Blush

75 20,883
 12-02-2013, 10:46 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
(12-02-2013, 08:36 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, all of this stuff is way over my head! Boy, do I have so much to learn! I am still in the infancy of photography, really! Blush

Yeah, once you need it there is a ton of (what I call) technical stuff to learn. So I'm happy to just need decent software to edit my images. Smile. Though I have to be honest the Creative Cloud would be sweet to play around in if you knew how to work all the software.

1 608
 12-03-2013, 10:29 AM
User Info
Luke, thanks for the link, regardless and I will just keep using my rudimentary editing feature that my Linux OS offers. Biggrin

75 20,883