12-03-2013, 12:03 AM
User Info
2 , 3 pin razors in a night.
The first is a Pearl King. Wasn't in too bad a shape. Some patina and pitting on the blade which I removed and duplicated the factory marks. Same for the back. Polished up the scale ( love these cracked ice patterns) and put it back together.

The second post , DD Satinedge was a bit rougher. Cleaned up the blade duplicating the factory texture. Polished the shaft areas and then duplicated the factory look here as well. Lets face it, from the factory they didn't have mirror polishes so I wanted this to be as close as possible.
Also following that idea the common SS washers don't fit here either as they are too large. So I turned down some to match the size of the originals.

The Pearl King. Sorry I don't have before shots but I just dove into it before I stopped and said " I didn't take any before shots"

[Image: 19E2zUo.jpg]

[Image: VmxTuXn.jpg]

[Image: FMZVCI8.jpg]

[Image: dL7CiCq.jpg]

And the Double Duck Satinedge. A bit rougher but it came out OK I think.

[Image: caUyKF3.jpg]

[Image: nKn4rop.jpg]

[Image: qwKqC3m.jpg]

[Image: OEIMzzo.jpg]

[Image: S6YQpWj.jpg]

The finished blade.

[Image: 2bUU5da.jpg]

[Image: fKKWYdc.jpg]

[Image: tGdOLHl.jpg]

[Image: 8WK9JJO.jpg]

[Image: daUBBp1.jpg]

[Image: T3USDUW.jpg]

[Image: zKN6ph9.jpg]

[Image: jz3RZob.jpg]

[Image: 3cRsawT.jpg]

[Image: eKxNxNJ.jpg]

0 772
 12-03-2013, 12:21 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
Gorgeous!

2 242
 12-03-2013, 04:13 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Excellent craftsmanship

19 700
 12-03-2013, 09:15 AM
User Info
Wow, Mark! That Double Duck is a beauty! Smile

75 20,883
 12-03-2013, 09:23 AM
User Info
Thanks guys!
That DD came rather nicely. And as some say, the clearer the scales the more valuable they are. Not sure how true that is but some I've seen are getting up there. And for what I paid for this I didn't so much buy it as I stole it!

0 772
 12-03-2013, 08:03 PM
User Info
It is a lot easier to believe you are a sorcerer Mark - stunning stuff as always.

6 323
 12-03-2013, 08:17 PM
User Info
Thanks guys but I pulled the trigger a bit early on the DD! Something just didn't seem right about the whole thing to my eyes. Why would they make this razor and have nothing on the shaft?
Look at every other razor they make. Didn't make sense to me
So after fishing about for more info on them, and taking a closer look at the before photos and cleaning out the lettering a bit more guess what I found?
Gold! Ha,, I was right. Also looking closely at the before shots as well as the biggest clue which was some original advertising literature for this blade it said,,,,, " Satin finish on the shaft"
Ha! and I can make it out on the before shots as well.
So I broke it down and redid it with a Satin finish on the shaft, Gold in the lettering and did the ducks in the DD blue because of what I found there as well.
I think this is what it looked like originally.

Thanks guys but I pulled the trigger a bit early on the DD! Something just didn't seem right about the whole thing to my eyes. Why would they make this razor and have nothing on the shaft?
Look at every other razor they make. Didn't make sense to me
So after fishing about for more info on them, and taking a closer look at the before photos and cleaning out the lettering a bit more guess what I found?
Gold! Ha,, I was right. Also looking closely at the before shots as well as the biggest clue which was some original advertising literature for this blade it said,,,,, " Satin finish on the shaft"
Ha! and I can make it out on the before shots as well.
So I broke it down and redid it with a Satin finish on the shaft, Gold in the lettering and did the ducks in the DD blue because of what I found there as well.
I think this is what it looked like originally. Now to my eye, it looks better. Balanced. Cohesive.

The restored restoration shots. Hehehe... Starting with the before I broke it down again shot.

[Image: ovp9aQR.jpg]

[Image: eGBcF3k.jpg]

[Image: 3SAYi2R.jpg]

[Image: t5ILk3Y.jpg]

[Image: LXVIbAw.jpg][Image: f7x5r9Y.jpg]

[Image: U0RYdft.jpg]

[Image: wFTiDcO.jpg]

[Image: YneF0B4.jpg]

0 772
 12-03-2013, 08:28 PM
User Info
(12-03-2013, 09:23 AM)mycarver Wrote: Thanks guys!
That DD came rather nicely. And as some say, the clearer the scales the more valuable they are. Not sure how true that is but some I've seen are getting up there. And for what I paid for this I didn't so much buy it as I stole it!
I have some cloudy DD scales. I didn't think you could make them clear again. I thought the cloudiness was all the way through the celluloid due to deterioration.. How'd you fix that?

Beautiful work, as always, by the way.

21 1,476
 12-03-2013, 08:43 PM
User Info
Yes you can. The only part that gets cloudy is the surface. Inside it's just the same as the day it was made. Some might have been cloudy ,, have occlusions etc. from the factory but if it was clear it can be again.
Just sand the surface as you would a razor and work up in the grits then polish.
On a similar note did you ever see the ads on TV with the cloudy headlight covers? They're plastic,, they get scratched and cloud over on the surface so what do they do? Use an abrasive, then polish them out.
Same thing here.
So many things from the auto world applies to razors. Polishing metals. Prepping a surface for painting requires the same steps as prepping wood scales or even the blades themselves. After sanding then polishing ,, just like a razor.
Getting scales clear again..
There is nothing new ,, it's just applied to a different medium.

0 772
 12-03-2013, 08:55 PM
User Info
Thank you very much. I'll sand and polish my DD's this week.

21 1,476
 12-03-2013, 09:06 PM
User Info
No problem. You run into anything you know where to find me.

0 772
 12-05-2013, 10:36 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Wow...words can't express how nice that DD looks now. Just stunning. Really nice job!

14 870
 12-05-2013, 03:21 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Well done! They are both great work!
~Rihcard

8 1,190
 12-07-2013, 09:08 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Wow... The DD came out amazing! Both before and after the satin finish.

How do you do the satin with such a clean masked line? The gold lettering, is that paint or a gold liquid? The scales look outrageous. I am a huge fan of the third pin, though I am not sure why..

On the King, you said you duplicated the factory marks.. can you be more specific as to what you did??

You do amazing work. I hope you never take these skills for granted. Some folks go a lifetime restoring stuff and never come close. Congrats.

33 914
 12-07-2013, 12:30 PM
User Info
Now who is that trying to peek behind the curtain? Is it Toto, Dorothy ? Why no it's Mike!!
There are any number of ways to do anything . On the Pearl King blade
For example it was a matter or removing the light rust and then using sand paper that would scratch the surface with the same pattern and texture . Just see what the
factory did and think of ways to re create it. I experiment a LOT. Just gotta
play.
Let's face it,, these were built prior to the technology and info that's available to us today. If they could find a way to so this stuff back then we should have it easy today. I think the biggest difference is most people today are so far removed from hands on building and creating that the people from just a generation or two ago would not recognize.
As a kid growing up I had books, magazines (Popular Mechanics) from my Dad and my own subscriptions that actually covered much of the basics of these things. I don't recognize these mags today.

0 772
 12-07-2013, 05:40 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I apologize for asking so many questions. Like you, I grew up in house where was lots of handiwork. Both of my grandfathers were craftsman, as was my father. I inherited that gene. When I look at work like yours, and can't backward engineer it, I ask.

Loads of PopMechanics mags around my house as well. And fortunately, I still prefer to do it by hand even if there is a machine that can do it quicker.

My signature pretty much sums up my approach.

Again, sorry for all the questions.

33 914
 12-08-2013, 09:20 AM
User Info
:no apologies necessary! Inquiring minds want to know. I guess it's a character flaw of mine not to give away the bag of tricks I've developed after hours of experiments , failures and at times lots of $.
I see some work in my regular line and say " Howdydodat?" The fun is trying it.
I like puzzles and trying to solve them.

0 772
 12-14-2013, 05:26 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Those scales are amazing!

91 17,850