12-03-2013, 09:44 PM
User Info
Back home in Norway I'm blessed with pretty soft water, which makes lathering a dream - and it means that face lathering from the GoBag usually makes enough lather for three or four passes if I so desire.

This week I'm in Bavaria, and according to a map I found the water here is - as I suspected - hard... so while the Bavarian Alps are beutifull, I have a hard time making enough lather for a single pass - and have to add more soap for the second Sad

So if didn't already know it, the hardness of the water is rather important for how enjoyable of a shave I get.

3 3,550
 12-03-2013, 09:49 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I've experienced a similar situation here at home, Hans.
We have rather hard water from our well, and if the salt tank for our home water softener system is low, I can immediately tell by way of suboptimal lather.
I've concluded that water softness plays an important role in terms of ease of lather generation and stability of generated lather. Although I can still lather with hard water, it is as you stated, not as enjoyable.

Enjoy Bavaria, Hans ... I visited there 20 years ago ... gorgeous scenery!

102 17,661
 12-03-2013, 10:23 PM
User Info
Where I was raised we had very hard water, and when I moved to Maine our well produces extremely soft water. It's the difference between a true artesian well (hard water) from out of a calcium aquifer and our drilled well from 300' down in granite and glacial till for the aquifer rather than delivery from hundreds of miles away through limestone caverns. Yup, it makes a huge difference. I'm guessing Norway was scoured by glaciers also, so no lime since lime is soft.

I first noticed the difference between hard and soft water when trying to rinse soap off those many years ago. Now it's just normal water for us and it's just the way soap and soft water works.

OK, enough of that... where in Bavaria Hans if it isn't classified? While I haven't been everywhere in Germany I have been to the Bad Tolz and Bertchesgaden areas. Gorgeous!

32 6,308
 12-03-2013, 10:32 PM
User Info
Brian, I'm in Oberammergau - haven't had much time to look at the town yet, but the view from halfway up the hill is stunning and the little Gasthaus is a very gemütlich place to stay (apart from the hard water, that is) Biggrin

3 3,550
 12-04-2013, 12:21 AM
User Info
Sure, Garmisch/Partinkirchen area! I knew it well. I've been to Oberammergau. Didn't spend much time there, just to see the church, but I did spend time in Garmisch. I don't remember anything special about the water, but that was when I was accustomed to hard water.

I can't remember if we trained with the Green Berets in Bad Tolz or Garmisch. Anyway, yup, been there. I thought it was Bad Tolz, I can't remember what drew me to Garmisch.

I have nothing but fond memories of Bavaria. Gorgeous scenery and really nice people.

I don't think you're all that far from Bertchesgaden. If you have time and transportation you might want to see the old Nazi barracks and such, Eagles Nest too. When I stayed there in '71/'72 the SS barracks was a hotel for GIs and that's where I stayed. It was a beautiful place. I'd love to know what it is today. When I was there I was skiing the Zugspitz every day. Fantastic powder! The first "building" I'd ever seen carved right into a mountain top and that was at the end of the cable car. Exit the cable car and you're inside the mountain from what I remember. Maybe everything was buried in snow, but I don't remember seeing windows. Exit the "building" and you were in the cirque of the Zugspitz.

Oh well, I'm hijacking your thread.

Anyway, have fun!

Time to get back to hard water.

32 6,308
 12-04-2013, 12:39 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
Before coming to Israel I didn't know what hard water was. I am natural from Brazil.

I didn't understand why my Brazilian shampoos and soaps didn't work here. They actually didn't work, no foam, no anything. A bath soap that normally lasted me 3 days, was lasting over 1 week. It was really strange.

The I bought an electric kettle. I only used clean water, but after a while some limescale started appearing. I didn't understand what it was. Until a friend of mine reminded me that Israel has extremely hard water. I just hate hard water.

Now with the desalination plants that are being built around the country, this will improve, as the saltless sea water will be put in the system and will balance our hard water.

2 242
 12-04-2013, 04:25 AM
User Info
I became convinced of the importance of water hardness/softness when I would read guys having trouble lathering soaps, and they lather just great for me.

0 303
 12-04-2013, 08:38 AM
User Info
I am so very, very fortunate that I live in Vancouver!
Like Hans, we are very fortunate to have extremely soft water! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-04-2013, 09:54 AM
User Info
I love soft water, but I feel so bad because of how much water is used to make a single gallon of either RO or soft water. Also, it's more expensive.

I opt for RO water, but have so far declined to go full soft water. I've had it in a house I rented a decade ago, but never really "got it."

9 2,988