12-04-2013, 12:18 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I love the concept of the Monteverde Tool Pen. (See it here: http://www.gouletpens.com/Monteverde_Tou...v35231.htm.) Unfortunately, it only comes with a medium nib. While I know I could switch out the nib (my preference would be a Fine) it adds considerably to the overall cost of the pen.

If nothing else, I know that having a ruler and a touch screen rubber finial on the pen would add a lot to its usefulness for me. Even the level could come in handy. The screwdriver maybe not so much because I think using it might damage the pen body.

What do the rest of you think of this idea?

2 11,211
 12-04-2013, 12:24 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Neat looking pen, Freddy. If it had calipers, it would be perfect to measure brush knots, etc. Biggrin

I have enough ADs right now ... and am fighting the urge to resurrect FPAD ... this is inevitably a losing battle on my part ... Confused

102 17,670
 12-04-2013, 12:43 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(12-04-2013, 12:24 PM)Agravic Wrote: Neat looking pen, Freddy. If it had calipers, it would be perfect to measure brush knots, etc. Biggrin

I have enough ADs right now ... and am fighting the urge to resurrect FPAD ... this is inevitably a losing battle on my part ... Confused

Welcome to The Ink Well, Ravi. Biggrin

I just sent Phil his very first fountain pen. I could not believe it when he told me that he had never used one! It is just a school pen as seen here: http://shavenook.com/thread-the-fountain...#pid300593 but it is cartridge fill, so no mess, is a smooth writer, and should give him a feel for using a fountain pen.

2 11,211
 12-04-2013, 12:52 PM
User Info
Wow, Freddy! I must be old-fashion or just such a Luddite with most things, but I prefer my fountain pens to only write and nothing more! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-04-2013, 12:57 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(12-04-2013, 12:52 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, Freddy! I must be old-fashion or just such a Luddite with most things, but I prefer my fountain pens to only write and nothing more! Biggrin

I realize that there is a certain amount of the "gimmick" here, Celestino, but it does intrigue me. As I say, I might have even considered it but the medium nib just isn't for me. Besides, TWSBI has a couple of pens in the pipeline that I am looking forward to. Winky

2 11,211
 12-05-2013, 11:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I carried an old Shaeffer student cartridge pen in high school. Wow, that was many, many years ago.

173 23,540
 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM
  • freddy
User Info
I received an e-mail from Goulet Pen Co. that my Sheaffer Red ink was back in stock. When I called to place my order I completely caved (just as I did with The Shave Nook's LE Simpson's P8) and added the pen to my purchase. I'm hopeless! Rolleyes

2 11,211
 12-05-2013, 11:25 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I think I will open a shaving brush/fountain pen store just for you Freddy. Biggrin

173 23,540
 12-05-2013, 11:42 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
What an interesting concept! I can't say I would personally buy it (I have no use for the stylus), but I can definitely see how it could be a very convenient instrument.

1 608
 12-05-2013, 03:43 PM
User Info
(12-05-2013, 11:20 AM)freddy Wrote: I received an e-mail from Goulet Pen Co. that my Sheaffer Red ink was back in stock. When I called to place my order I completely caved (just as I did with The Shave Nook's LE Simpson's P8) and added the pen to my purchase. I'm hopeless! Rolleyes

That cracked me up. Enjoy the pen. Pics and a review also please once it arrives.

Phil

7 363
 12-05-2013, 03:46 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(12-05-2013, 11:25 AM)Johnny Wrote: I think I will open a shaving brush/fountain pen store just for you Freddy. Biggrin

Johnny, don't you dare!!!! My piggy bank is light enough as it is! Confused

(12-05-2013, 11:42 AM)Lradke Wrote: What an interesting concept! I can't say I would personally buy it (I have no use for the stylus), but I can definitely see how it could be a very convenient instrument.

It fascinated me, Luke, just because it is so different. I actually would get use out of the stylus as I have an iPad.

2 11,211
 12-05-2013, 08:27 PM
User Info
Let me know how you like it. I have this pen on my wish list.
Along with a few others.
It never ends.
Blush

1 345
 12-05-2013, 10:46 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(12-05-2013, 03:43 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote:
(12-05-2013, 11:20 AM)freddy Wrote: I received an e-mail from Goulet Pen Co. that my Sheaffer Red ink was back in stock. When I called to place my order I completely caved (just as I did with The Shave Nook's LE Simpson's P8) and added the pen to my purchase. I'm hopeless! Rolleyes

That cracked me up. Enjoy the pen. Pics and a review also please once it arrives.

Phil

(12-05-2013, 08:27 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: Let me know how you like it. I have this pen on my wish list.
Along with a few others.
It never ends.
Blush

I heard from the Goulets that my stuff shipped this afternoon so I should be giving my thoughts on it soon. Smile

2 11,211
 12-05-2013, 11:00 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Dang you Freddy!!!!!! Wink

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

35 2,703
 12-06-2013, 10:16 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(12-05-2013, 11:00 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Dang you Freddy!!!!!! Wink

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Biggrin

2 11,211
 12-06-2013, 08:45 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Freddy! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-07-2013, 09:31 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(12-04-2013, 12:24 PM)Agravic Wrote: Neat looking pen, Freddy. If it had calipers, it would be perfect to measure brush knots, etc. Biggrin

That may be an idea for the very first TSN LE Fountain Pen. Biggrin

45 16,347
 12-07-2013, 09:58 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(12-07-2013, 09:31 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

Hey, that works for me. Winky

2 11,211
 12-07-2013, 10:01 PM
User Info
(12-07-2013, 09:31 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

* Oh, my, Phil! That would be interesting! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-11-2013, 02:21 PM
  • freddy
User Info
My pen arrived the other day and I am certainly impressed with it. Here is my review:

Packaging: The pen and instructions come in a simple cardboard box but it is sort of fun.
[Image: 2oudUIH.jpg] [Image: Gusklxv.jpg]

[Image: WqzOxQT.jpg] [Image: 0jr4foE.jpg]

Pen Parts: The barrel of the pen is fairly sturdy and printed on it are measurements in metrics and inches (Though inches aren't shown in the photos, they are there.)
[Image: nHr6LKf.jpg]

A spirit level is built into the pen and because the pen is hexagonal (and yellow, to look like a pencil) it works perfectly because it does not roll.
[Image: a7wwuDa.jpg]

The nib is only available in a medium and the stylus is of the soft rubber type. The stylus worked flawlessly on my iPad.
[Image: BflUdSV.jpg]

The cap for the nib cannot be posted and is somewhat small so care needs to be taken not to lose it. The screwdriver head is double ended with a regular tip on one end and a phillips head on the other. It is very easy to swap out the heads but the heads are very small and would only really work for the lightest of jobs. If a screw is in very tight then I don't believe one would get the leverage needed with this to remove it. I'd be worried about damaging the pen body. Here again, like the pen cap, the stylus unscrews to reveal the screwdriver but there is no place to post the stylus, the stylus part is small, and it does roll.
[Image: maHKmGN.jpg] [Image: GZkxqRo.jpg]

This is a cartridge only pen. While the Goulets do say that a Monteverde mini-converter can be used with the pen, I think I would be cautious about that. Interestingly, the barrel does not unscrew from the section. Rather, it is friction fit so with the cap on, one grabs the cap at one end and the barrel at the other. A simple tug will release the barrel from the section and the cartridge can be inserted. On the metal part of the section is a two way arrow. Simply align that with the clip and push the cap and barrel back together. Remove the cap and one is ready to write. A nice touch is that when you align the arrow to the clip and put everything back together, the nib, when exposed, is automatically aligned with the clip as well.
[Image: TfZ9axZ.jpg]

Writing With the Pen: This, of course, is the nitty gritty of any fountain pen and although I only dipped my pen, as I have several others inked up right now, the medium nib wrote very smoothly. Also, while some might not like the hexagon barrel shape, I found it comfortable to hold. Although heavier than some other pens because of its metal construction, I believe I could write a fair bit before my hand became fatigued, though perhaps not as much as with a lighter pen like my Nemosine Singularity or Kaweco Sport. The pen was a pleasure to use in the writing sample below. The ink used was Private Reserve's DC Supershow Blue.
[Image: c4P7vwt.jpg]

I hope you liked the review and I would enjoy reading your thoughts about the pen from what you see here. If you own the pen then your opinions about it would be welcome.

2 11,211