12-04-2013, 05:57 PM
User Info
I was just looking at a thread started by Teiste last month about our favorite artisan soaps, Queen Charlotte did alright in the voting, I cast my vote for JabonMan. I noticed that they offer a soap and a cream for each scent, unlike most of the other artisans who make one or the other. If anyone uses or has used QCS, could you tell me a little about the differing consistency of each, i.e. is the soap a milled puck or a croap and is the cream very soft or more croap like. Also, if you prefer the soap or cream. Thanks for any help Biggrin

92 2,566
 12-04-2013, 06:31 PM
User Info
Limited experience with several soap samples. They are soft soaps, but not cream-like. I mashed them into the bottoms of bowls for lathering, and they compressed well with no effort.

3 543
 12-04-2013, 06:55 PM
User Info
All I have are the QCS 'creams'. They're more the consistency of the Proraso croaps than actual cream. I think cream being an actual cream, like Proraso's cream offering.

6 229
 12-04-2013, 07:54 PM
  • tc930
  • Ex-Lurker
  • southern California
User Info
The formulas are a little different too. If I remember, only the soaps contain cocoa butter, lanolin and maybe avocado oil.

0 8
 12-04-2013, 10:15 PM
User Info
The creams are croaps and the soap is not triple milled, not very soft but malleable.

Both contain tallow but the soaps have lanolin. They both perform excellent but I prefer the creams. Of all the software I've tried QCS creams hold up the best when hot, even very hot. Wonderful in the winter and I can use scalding hot water in the scuttle. The creams seems to have a stronger scent but that maybe because I use more product when using the cream.

They are slick, protective and I like the aftershave feel.

When I use my R41 and want the BBS with certainty I always use a QCS cream.

22 221
 12-05-2013, 08:04 AM
User Info
Thank you for the very helpful info, just put some QCS on the Christmas list Biggrin

92 2,566
 12-05-2013, 05:48 PM
User Info
QCS are excellent! I'm picky about the soaps I currently use and have tried almost all made in the last 7 years or so. Matthew's soaps are among my favorites and the scents are excellent. His Rose Otto is about my favorite rose scented soap. The soaps are not triple-milled but they are definitely more firm than a soft soap such as Cella. His shaving creams are similar to a soft soap and perhaps just a bit softer than most.

33 115
 12-05-2013, 07:14 PM
User Info
i just pulled the trigger on the Fouguere Shave Cream and AS Balm....excited.

97 1,252
 01-15-2014, 07:08 AM
  • jed_zed
  • Milton Keynes, UK
User Info
Hey guys,

I just received a shipping of three QCS products - Vostok Cream, Sandalwood Cream and Vetiver Soap. I used the Sandalwood this morning and found the lather to be excellent - stable, cushioning, great slip, all the things one would want from a cream.

What I did find is that the scents are very understated to the point of being barely discernable... is that anyone else's experience.

Great shaving cream though...

Jon

0 19
 01-18-2014, 01:07 PM
User Info
I have never had any problems with QCS having weak Fragrance. I have 4 different creams/croaps and each one have a strong fragrance that I am able to distinguish as soon as I open the lid.

0 123
 01-19-2014, 06:07 AM
User Info
(01-15-2014, 07:08 AM)jed_zed Wrote: Hey guys,

I just received a shipping of three QCS products - Vostok Cream, Sandalwood Cream and Vetiver Soap. I used the Sandalwood this morning and found the lather to be excellent - stable, cushioning, great slip, all the things one would want from a cream.

What I did find is that the scents are very understated to the point of being barely discernable... is that anyone else's experience.

Great shaving cream though...

Jon

Have had several soap (not croap) samples. Found the scents were distinctive in the cup, but lessened a bit when lathered. Rose Otto is very nice! As were Queen Charlotte and several others, but Fougere I find to be exceptional (to me).

3 543
 01-19-2014, 03:26 PM
User Info
I want to try Basilica and Fougere Biggrin

92 2,566
 01-19-2014, 05:13 PM
User Info
Wife bought me a tub of Iced Key Lime, the lime scent is real good throughout the shave and it's cold great for the approaching warm weather and very nice cream. I find it softer than Cella but thicker than a true cream. I've heard that the creams scents are stronger than the harder soaps.

0 32