12-04-2013, 06:26 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
When I first got into this SE adventure I was given a OCMM by Shadows Dad along with a Gem Jr Fatty, and a very cool Gem J-bar lather catcher. The task was go from mild to down right nasty aggressive. We all know the OCMM is a tiger. My 1 st shave with it I lokked like I was in an MMA match and took some serious ground and pound. I put the OCMM on the side and worked on my SE skills. I pulled it out again after around 6 weeks and was much more careful. Close shave as I learned to respect the razor....

That was quite a while ago. I have been taking the bad boy out of the garage more and more. I've finally lined her up in the rotation along with all the rest. The OCMM is a beast but a beast that I have tamed. I guess my skills are finally getting there. Another milestone reached....

The one thing I've noticed is it seem like my whiskers get ANGRY when I use the OCMM. I get very close shaves. I'm sure closer than any other razor I own. But when my beard grows out it feels thicker and more prickly. Like my beard is MAD !!!

Is it my imagination? Am I having flashbacks from the 80's? I know it sounds crazy but to me that's what it feels like. So now every time I pick up the OCMM I laugh and say to my beard, "time to p*&& you whiskers off".... Anyone else has the same experience please let me know that I'm not really crazy... Well that would be a stretch. Just let me know I'm not alone.... Happy Shaves !!!

5 1,151
 12-05-2013, 11:02 AM
User Info
Let me respond with a bit of a story.

I found an OCMM in the wild and had to give it a good home. Brought it home and looked at it for awhile since I had heard such horror stories about these razor. And I thought that I didn't want to bleed to death via my face.

Finally worked up my courage and gave it a go with a Gem Stainless blade. Well, what a surprise I got! The darn thing hardly cut any of the stubble and felt as gentle as a Tech to me. Thought to myself, "Self, this can't be right". But repeated attempts came up with the same results. So I set it aside for a bit.

Got myself some CVS carbon steel blades and thought that it was time to try the OCMM again. My, what a difference! The carbon steel blades work so much better than the stainless that they change the characteristics of the razor a bunch.

The OCMM now cuts the stubble right off and leaves me smooth and soft. The stubble doesn't grow back tougher or "p#$ssed off. It's like the whiskers are afraid to come out again and face the OCMM. The razor always wins!

So, bottom line for me is that the OCMM is a great razor. For me it's not overly aggressive and gives a great shave. Guess this is where YMMV comes in to play.

4 952
 12-05-2013, 11:17 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
I pull out my OCMM every now and again, but I wouldn't say that my stubble grows back thicker. I find it a fine razor that gives great shaves! I use the PTFE GEM blades, and have never had an issue with the shave. In fact, my first shave with the razor left me BBS and irritation free.

1 608
 12-05-2013, 04:15 PM
User Info
Nice work, Sav! The OCMM may be my favorite razor.

I am wondering if the OCMM cuts you so close that when are feeling your face later in the day, the stubble is still short and sharper feeling.

47 1,270
 12-05-2013, 08:20 PM
User Info
Tom I'm betting you nailed it. What else could it be!?

I think the reason the OCMM has such a bad reputation is because folks who shouldn't use it test themselves with it. If one has technique nailed down it's a pussycat. But let the attention wander into poor technique and look out! Biggrin Don't ask me how I know. I must have read that somewhere. Blush

32 6,310
 12-06-2013, 06:23 PM
User Info
I am glad you have finally tamed the ocmm Sav, she is a great razor in the right hands.

Personally, I have always found the ocmm to be a very smooth shaver, I have never had more than an occasional weeper while using the ocmm. Maybe I am just lucky we get along so well?

63 2,128
 12-07-2013, 06:56 AM
User Info
My first OCMM shave a few months ago was crappy, I just put it off to the side, thinking both the razor and I had a bad day, and I would get back to it later. 6 or 8 months passed and I decided to give it a try. Loading a new blade I noticed it had a missing blade stop on one side, and the edge of the blade was just out there swinging around like a lawnmower. Not good! Jumped on ebay, bought another one for pocket change, 3 days later, opened it, looked at the blade stops, and (you'll never guess) this time the blade stop on the other side was missing. No big loss, now I've got two candidates for the dumpster. Believe I'll wait a while before I revisit the OCMM. But in memory of the two worn out old soldier-razors, I grabbed another MM, this time one with a closed bar I picked up at the garage sale back in February but never did use it. Loading the blade, minding my own business, glanced at the blade stops, a habit now, and HAHAHA! What the heck??!!! Only one blade stop -- this is getting weird. Immediately checked my last remaining Micromatic, one I've had for 4 or 5 years, but rarely if ever used it more than a few times, and both blade stops were still attached. I used it last night, and it did just fine. I've got a few other SE razors I'm going to use, just to remember how well or not so well they all perform, before I renew any interest in the OCMM. It's something that will wait. The old razor just wear out, eventually, but I never expected to find 3 at the same time. I suppose I'll have to start checking these details before I put blade to face in the future. Biggrin Oh, before I forget to say, I threw all three into the dumpster and they'll never see anything but the landfill from now on. That's three bad razors out of circulation permanently.

24 1,151
 12-08-2013, 11:36 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hey Gary!!! Yes I did the same thing buying a Star 1912. It came in and the stop was missing. Luckily I found just a head without a handle for like $2. Now I NEVER bid/buy a SE if I can't see BOTH blade stops. If they aren't clear in the photos' offered, I pass on it.

(12-07-2013, 06:56 AM)brothers Wrote: My first OCMM shave a few months ago was crappy, I just put it off to the side, thinking both the razor and I had a bad day, and I would get back to it later. 6 or 8 months passed and I decided to give it a try. Loading a new blade I noticed it had a missing blade stop on one side, and the edge of the blade was just out there swinging around like a lawnmower. Not good! Jumped on ebay, bought another one for pocket change, 3 days later, opened it, looked at the blade stops, and (you'll never guess) this time the blade stop on the other side was missing. No big loss, now I've got two candidates for the dumpster. Believe I'll wait a while before I revisit the OCMM. But in memory of the two worn out old soldier-razors, I grabbed another MM, this time one with a closed bar I picked up at the garage sale back in February but never did use it. Loading the blade, minding my own business, glanced at the blade stops, a habit now, and HAHAHA! What the heck??!!! Only one blade stop -- this is getting weird. Immediately checked my last remaining Micromatic, one I've had for 4 or 5 years, but rarely if ever used it more than a few times, and both blade stops were still attached. I used it last night, and it did just fine. I've got a few other SE razors I'm going to use, just to remember how well or not so well they all perform, before I renew any interest in the OCMM. It's something that will wait. The old razor just wear out, eventually, but I never expected to find 3 at the same time. I suppose I'll have to start checking these details before I put blade to face in the future. Biggrin Oh, before I forget to say, I threw all three into the dumpster and they'll never see anything but the landfill from now on. That's three bad razors out of circulation permanently.

5 1,151
 12-23-2013, 05:39 AM
User Info
I am liking the OCMM more and more...when the angle is right and you can hear those whiskers being mowed down a long lasting smooth and comfortable shave is the reward.

3 73
 12-23-2013, 11:33 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I used my OCMM yesterday and although it felt a little rough I managed a very close shave with no nicks or weepers. I'll be using it again this weekend attempting to focus on pressure and blade angle to see if I can make it even more enjoyable. Great razor that can be had very, very inexpensively.

127 2,393