04-25-2012, 11:19 AM
User Info
Any fans here? I really enjoy the Signature old formulation with parabens. I haven't tried their new paraben-free formula but I read it's equally good though it may not last as long. I do however have a travel size container of their new Blossomwood scent and I like it, but I prefer the Signature a tad more for its slight cooling effect (not a huge fan of the scent though).

I've been using Signature a lot lately as I want to finish the tub before it goes bad, I'd hate to see such a fine cream go to waste. It has yet to give me a bad shave or poor lather. Why do I bother using anything else and still trying the occasional sample of this or that which burns my skin? Glutton for punishment I guess because I know there can't be a single product out there that by itself could improve upon my best shaves.

3 84
 04-25-2012, 11:32 AM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
Still haven't tried it. I've been wanting to, though. Soon, perhaps.

6 235
 04-25-2012, 11:50 AM
User Info
I thought it was decent for a brush-less product... I wasn't wow'd by it... didn't seem to work at all with a brush and I tried several ways; overall a good product, a little pricey considering the packaging is nothing special and it's sold direct to consumer.

I don't really buy into the Nancy boy philosophy that they are saving people money by selling direct.

3 315
 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM
User Info
Ah, really? You had a hard time lathering it? I find it very easy to face lather it with a soft badger brush, just twist the brush a bit in the jar and take it to my face. More lather than I know what to do with. Never tried bowl lathering it though because I'm not into that style of lathering.

3 84
 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
It's fantastic stuff and I love the cooling effect, especially as the temps rise here in Texas. Explosion of lather, plenty slick and very moisturizing. I rarely use balms but I can also recommend NB after shave balm. Very quick healing properties and the same cooling effect as with the cream. Cool

35 2,703
 04-25-2012, 12:32 PM
User Info
(04-25-2012, 12:18 PM)TexBilly Wrote: It's fantastic stuff and I love the cooling effect, especially as the temps rise here in Texas. Explosion of lather, plenty slick and very moisturizing. I rarely use balms but I can also recommend NB after shave balm. Very quick healing properties and the same cooling effect as with the cream. Cool

Glad to see at least another man can lather it Smile It works very well with that nice Feather AS razor, yes, you know which one. I just had a great shave this morning with the combo.

As for the NB a/s gel, it had a strange effect on me, it seemed to bring out blood to the surface of my skin, tiny weepers in some spots that I would not otherwise notice. The Razorock Lavender splash did the same thing to me and I know of at least another person who experienced the same. Must be the oils and not enough astringents.

3 84
 04-25-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
i'm just finishing up my 2nd travel tub (replenishing and now signature).

i'd go so far as to say, it's my all time favorite SOFT cream (QCS, RR creams excluded, as they are harder).

great scent (kind of toothpastish to me), lathers like crazy (i tend to have to use a bit more to get a good lather), but it's some of the thickest and best lather i get.

A+ cream in my book

i'll order more SIGNATURE, but i worry about a large tub, as i've heard NB is one of the ones that can go bad if not used up quickly...i think the Website says 6mos...heck, i was thinking 2y in rotation. i may just order another travel size

8 2,718
 04-25-2012, 01:01 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You guys now have my interest up. I may have to try some of this product, one of these days.

173 23,546
 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM
User Info
(04-25-2012, 01:01 PM)Johnny Wrote: You guys now have my interest up. I may have to try some of this product, one of these days.

get a travel tub...2oz (60g), more then enough for most of us in rotation and if you don't like it, you aren't stuck with a full size...but i don't see you not liking it.

join the eclub (no junk mail, they are good) and you can get 3 travel tubs @ 2oz each (1 of each scent) for roughly the same price as 1 full size of 6oz and then you can try all 3 scents. Wink

8 2,718
 04-25-2012, 01:06 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I love it as well and bowl later it with a brush no problem. Always a great shave and I love the scent of the Signature so much, I had to get the soap and the body spray.
The 6mos. worries me too because I have so many other great creams and soaps.

BTW, if you like the cooling effect, it is present in the bath soap and it's HUGE and lasting in the body spray. Definitely not suitable for a cold winter morning!

6 905
 04-25-2012, 01:26 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
I have used the Nancy Boy signature shave cream and found it quite good. I was in San Francisco two years ago and stopped in the store and bought a tub. Last year I passed it on to a friend, who fell in love with it and now it is the only cream he uses. Good stuff.

132 2,614
 04-25-2012, 01:37 PM
User Info
(04-25-2012, 12:01 PM)SirWhiskers Wrote: Ah, really? You had a hard time lathering it? I find it very easy to face lather it with a soft badger brush, just twist the brush a bit in the jar and take it to my face. More lather than I know what to do with. Never tried bowl lathering it though because I'm not into that style of lathering.

Not so much had a hard time. When water was introduced, I felt the protection broke down; there was more air in the mix so it looked decent but the performance just wasn't there (for me) with a brush. When used brush-less, it offered good protection and gave me a good shave.

The last few times I used it, I used the brush to spread the cream on my face, this worked okay, but working with my fingers was still superior for this product.

3 315
 04-25-2012, 02:33 PM
User Info
(04-25-2012, 12:35 PM)brucered Wrote: i'd go so far as to say, it's my all time favorite SOFT cream (QCS, RR creams excluded, as they are harder).

I agree. I like QCS croap quite a bit too. I had high hopes for RR but I tried a few scents and they burned my skin, something in the base that does not agree with my skin.

Quote:great scent (kind of toothpastish to me), lathers like crazy (i tend to have to use a bit more to get a good lather), but it's some of the thickest and best lather i get.

Not a fan of the scent, it's just OK to me, a natural scent. I can tolerate it just fine given the quality shave I get with it.

Quote:i'll order more SIGNATURE, but i worry about a large tub, as i've heard NB is one of the ones that can go bad if not used up quickly...i think the Website says 6mos...heck, i was thinking 2y in rotation. i may just order another travel size

I think it's OK to get a full size tub. Just scoop a bit and move it into one of your travel size containers and store the rest in the fridge, I'm sure it will be fine.

3 84
 04-25-2012, 03:42 PM
User Info
I tried it. I applied it with a brush but didn't really lather it. It gave a good cushion and glide, and it was my go-to if I had skipped a few days. That said, I wasn't really wowed by it and I decided not to restock it, but a big reason was also that I wanted to try many more things first. Limited resources and all.

4 112
 04-25-2012, 06:00 PM
User Info
Boy, you guys sure have tried many soaps and creams!

75 20,883
 04-25-2012, 07:01 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I tried this cream a long time ago, but in spite of the nice scent and cooling effect I didn't enjoy it too much. I gave it away to my brother-in-law.

3 2,562
 04-25-2012, 07:33 PM
  • diggity
  • Los Gatos, CA
User Info
The new formulation of their Signature is nice stuff. Same scent, it just takes a little more wrist to lather up. I am not a big fan of their other scents (including their newer Orange scent as it isn't very citrusy). I would think that folks with hard water would have a bit of a difficult time with the lather. Their bar soaps are excellent as well.

18 281
 04-26-2012, 12:21 AM
  • SLB04
  • Schalksmühle
User Info
I received last month the 3 available scents of their shaving cream and I have used it consecutively for 1 and a half week.

Indeed it takes more wrist to lather up but it is worth doing so. The cushion and the feeling after the shave is simply great.

Regarding the scents, I adore the Signature and the Blossomwood scent. Signature has a wonderfull peppermint and lavender scent. Reminds me a bit of Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge but with less lavender and more peppermint.

Blossomwood reminds me a bit of 4711 with its herbal citrus notes.

Replenishing was the one I didn't like much. The cucumber and herbs scent was fresh but somehow strange for me.

1 374
 04-26-2012, 04:54 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(04-25-2012, 12:32 PM)SirWhiskers Wrote: As for the NB a/s gel, it had a strange effect on me, it seemed to bring out blood to the surface of my skin, tiny weepers in some spots that I would not otherwise notice. The Razorock Lavender splash did the same thing to me and I know of at least another person who experienced the same. Must be the oils and not enough astringents.

Confused Tim, sorry to hear this. Quite the opposite effect on me and I used it again yesterday to refresh my memory. I would add that it dries with the same slightly "sticky" feeling I get from Musgo Real AS. MR contains glycerin so I'll have to compare ingredients.

My cream is the original formula so the comments on the re-formulation have me curious.

35 2,703
 04-26-2012, 06:08 AM
User Info
I have two daughters who have used every tub of my Nancy Boy. It comes in the house and (with my permission, I'm a softie) I never see it again! It's good stuff, no doubt.

24 1,151