12-05-2013, 12:39 PM
User Info
I have used the Cadet OC and it is very efficient but seems a little too close(not as smooth). I have a Gillette SC and it seems to be a little less than the Cadet but a lot smoother. I have also a Black Beauty that is set at 8 but still leaves a lot to touch up but smoother than the Cadet. It seems like I need something that shaves as close as the Cadet and as smooth as the Gillette SC. Now most of my shaves are 2 passes it seems my face does not like 3 passes. On the face its WTG and ATG and on my neck is XTG and XTG seems to do the best if go ATG on the neck always get nicks or rough areas.

Would a SE GEM, Injector or Cobra fit in here somewhere?

0 23
 12-05-2013, 12:57 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Simply yup Smile

try first cheap 1912 GEM

11 861
 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM
User Info
It's definitely worth a try. My neck was very tough to get smooth without a lot of irritation when using a DE. Now with SEs it is so much easier and I have to be stupid to give myself irritation now.

31 7,912
 12-05-2013, 03:38 PM
User Info
(12-05-2013, 03:25 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: It's definitely worth a try. My neck was very tough to get smooth without a lot of irritation when using a DE. Now with SEs it is so much easier and I have to be stupid to give myself irritation now.

Going ATG on my neck is actually going from right to left. I just want something that is very close but smooth. I have a Schick G4 coming but that will be about three weeks. May I should have looked for a GEM first. That Cobra looks sweet but the price!!

0 23
 12-05-2013, 04:02 PM
User Info
Ron, many people don't necessarily find the SE shave to be smooth like a DE shave can be and definitely not as smooth as the Cobra shaves. By smooth in this instance I am referring to the relative ease with which the razor removes the stubble and not how smooth the skin is after the shave by getting a close shave. Many find the SE shave to be a bit rough but this is because we try to shave like we did with DEs. The SE blade is much thicker and more rigid and requires a different technique to achieve the smooth shaving experience. For me this required shorter strokes initially. However, now that I have my technique dialed in I can do longer strokes in certain areas and still have a smooth stroke. If you feel like the blade is tugging or skipping then you probably need to shorten your strokes (especially on a new blade). Some people mistake this for the blade not being sharp enough, but it's really a result of the blades rigidity. I can now get BBS in 2 passes and can even go ATG on my neck which I never could do with a DE, and couldn't even do initially with an SE. Give it a try, ask us any questions you have along the way, be patient, and I think you can really take your shaves to a whole new level.

31 7,912
 12-05-2013, 04:04 PM
User Info
Yes, I think an SE is definitely worth a try; the GEM Micromatic, 1912 and 1924 are my favorites. I agree with Jack that a 1912 is a great place to start as it works so well for many people. Many of us also favor the GEM PTFE-coated blades (look at Connaught Shaving).

47 1,270
 12-05-2013, 04:14 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
A totally different experience. I believe a Gem Featherweight is a great SE starter razor. If you want a tad more aggressive then try a razor from the 1912 family. A 100 year old design that out performs most razors on the market. GEM, Star, or EverReady. Gem Damaskeen, or Gem Jr. Also the Gem Micromantic family has some good razors. The Clogpruf and the Flying Wing are great shavers. The Open Comb Micromantic is a very aggressive razor. Best in the hands of a seasoned wet shaver. All of these are easy to find on e-bay and still relatively inexpensive. The shave you are looking for may be had with any one of these.

BTW what part of Louisiana are you hailing from? I'm a New Orleans boy. I may be able to direct you towards some kit in this area....

5 1,151
 12-05-2013, 04:31 PM
User Info
(12-05-2013, 04:14 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: BTW what part of Louisiana are you hailing from? I'm a New Orleans boy. I may be able to direct you towards some kit in this area....

I have not read PR seen anything on Gem Featherweight i

I am in Bossier City

0 23
 12-05-2013, 08:13 PM
User Info
The Featherweight and G-Bar are about the same as far as the shave goes. Both are quite mild as far as SE razors go. But to me they feel very different in the hand. The FW is lighter and grippier even though it may not look that way to the eye.

32 6,308
 12-07-2013, 05:35 PM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
After reading about members' praise for SEs on the forum, I knew I had to try in spite of initial fear, and so began on this journey. Today was my fourth (ever) SE shave using a GEM 1912 and GEM SS (I believe PTFE) blade. The shaves have only gotten better and closer. Now I have more confidence in a SE blade than a DE blade to give me a nick-free shave. Got bold today and even went against-the-grain and ended with a close, smooth and mostly BBS shave. Zero nicks! Biggrin

If my SE shaves only improve going forward, I might take the path Tom took of keeping only a handful of DEs. Hope this helps you get started.

64 529
 12-07-2013, 05:59 PM
User Info
What a great testimony slr! Your experience reminds me of my first few shaves with the SE system. I think the last time I even used a DE was for some blind blade testing that Yohann sponsored here quite a while ago. I doubt that I'll ever use a DE again.

31 7,912
 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
(12-07-2013, 05:35 PM)slr31 Wrote: After reading about members' praise for SEs on the forum, I knew I had to try in spite of initial fear, and so began on this journey. Today was my fourth (ever) SE shave using a GEM 1912 and GEM SS (I believe PTFE) blade. The shaves have only gotten better and closer. Now I have more confidence in a SE blade than a DE blade to give me a nick-free shave. Got bold today and even went against-the-grain and ended with a close, smooth and mostly BBS shave. Zero nicks! Biggrin

If my SE shaves only improve going forward, I might take the path Tom took of keeping only a handful of DEs. Hope this helps you get started.

That's great to hear, my friend! Just keep your touch light and enjoy a buttery-toast great shave. I think them will only get better and better for you.

47 1,270
 12-07-2013, 06:06 PM
User Info
I'm going to have to find me a Gem, but it won't be till after Christmas. Got to think of others and me last. So I do like a little aggressive. So I think maybe a Gem 1912 or a OCMM.

thanks everyone,

Ron

0 23
 12-07-2013, 07:45 PM
User Info
(12-07-2013, 05:59 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: What a great testimony slr! Your experience reminds me of my first few shaves with the SE system. I think the last time I even used a DE was for some blind blade testing that Yohann sponsored here quite a while ago. I doubt that I'll ever use a DE again.

* Wow, Brian! That is a bold statement! The Cobra and the GEM must be providing you with some great shaves! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-08-2013, 09:15 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
AHHHH YES !!! And so it goes. Once again another pleased SE user. Could we be witnessing the birth of a few new Gemdi Knights? The FORCE IS STRONG. Welcome to THE SHARP SIDE...lol...
"SHAVE EDGE SINGLE YOU TRY, L.O.S.E.R. YOU ARE"!!!... Yoda Joe Rude....

5 1,151
 12-09-2013, 12:57 PM
  • celar36
  • London, UK
User Info
SE is my go to mode but I like variety as I still stay with 2 DE. My favourite SE are Streamline and Damaskeene. Featherweight is great to start and learn SE technique as it guides you with nice sound feedback and allows you quickly find correct single . next step is trying 1912 family. PTFE blades are my go to like most peoples. We don't need to go throught 20 different type. I say keep some SE and DE in rotation.

11 861
 12-09-2013, 01:16 PM
User Info
I keep both SE and DE in my rotation as well Jack. But I'm picky about my DE razors so few have made the long term cut. I have a bit more latitude as far as SE razors go, so far more of them are in my cabinet.

32 6,308
 12-09-2013, 03:08 PM
  • celar36
  • London, UK
User Info
I have Feather Portable, AS-D2(on the way) and ATT Kronos with M plate( not counting Gillette TV Special NOS just as viewing kit).
I find Feathers razors and blade really agree with my face.

After that I have 10+ SE and 4 more coming.....Angel Its good for face to have variety so it will not use to one. Dont want it know exactly so I do not need answer that to my wife Cool

11 861
 12-10-2013, 07:51 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I to have a few DE's still in my rotation rack. But they get used fewer and fewer times as I still can't shave with a DE back to back shaves with out some kind of irritation on my neck. Even after 1 shave I feel just on the brink of it. The 3 I still have I keep because when I was in DE only noob mode these were the ones that worked best for me. I thought about a final DE clearance but decided I'd just hold on to what I have. If nothing else they sure do look good up there...lol Plus I have been using them along with a 1912 as loaners for new prospects to try. I give them a compare right up front before their minds get jumbled with all the DE paraphernalia... Another Gemdi mind trick...lol Happy Shaves !!!

5 1,151
 12-12-2013, 07:20 AM
User Info
(12-05-2013, 04:04 PM)kentclark Wrote: Many of us also favor the GEM PTFE-coated blades (look at Connaught Shaving).

Is Connaught Shaving the only place to get them? Any in U.S.?

0 23