12-05-2013, 02:15 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
For those who speak it, what would you recommend is the best way to learn it. I am hoping to visit Brazil in the upcoming year and would love to learn the language.

15 970
 12-05-2013, 03:05 PM
User Info
Wow, I don't even know what to say... Portuguese is my mother tongue, as I am born and raised in Portugal.

Maybe you can lookup for Portuguese classes in your city (if availableUndecided)...
There are free online courses and classes, like this one on the BBC website, and some of them can be useful, but they are far from perfection. However, they can be used as a introductory way to Portuguese idiom...

2 5,527
 12-05-2013, 03:44 PM
User Info
Are you married or single? Dating someone who speaks the language is very helpful! Biggrin

It is not a very easy language to learn, though. As Emanuel has stated, classes in your city would probably be the best way, for now.
I am assuming you don't have any Portuguese friends since you posted the question as this would really be one of the best ways to learn. Smile

Heh! Maybe we could add a section in the Parlor for this; multi-lingualism!

75 20,883
 12-05-2013, 05:42 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Great idea, tsimmns!

Portuguese isn't that commonly studied in the US, so local classes might not be easily found. If you live in a city with a Berlitz school or similar, they may offer it.

The most foolproof software method would be Rosetta Stone, but it is expensive (I think around $550.00 for the basic course). Make sure you get the version for Brazilian Portuguese.

I have also heard good things about the Pimsleur Approach, which should cost quite a bit less: http://www.pimsleurapproach.com/

I once lived in Brazil and in Portugal, and my heart aches to get back to both. Portuguese speakers are accustomed to dealing with tourists who speak Spanish, and they understand Spanish more readily than Spanish-speakers understand them, as Portuguese phonology is more complex. The two languages are very similar and very different at the same time. If you go to a Portuguese-speaking country and you speak the language - even a little bit - it will be recognized and appreciated.

Of course, more and more Brazilians speak English (but what's the fun in that?).

Good luck!

- Murray‎

4 1,150
 12-05-2013, 05:51 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Thanks for all the information so far fellows. I haven never been to Brazil, but as stated would love to visit. Not sure I could see myself living there, but after researching it so much the past couple days I have feel in love with it. Compared to the US I wonder what the cost of living is like?

15 970
 12-05-2013, 06:20 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
I've been out the country for a long time, but still have family there. I have visited last month, and I can tell you that the cost of living is pretty high compared to the US. Yes, even though it is a developing country, the cost of living can be a problem. You expect to pay less than in developed countries, but that is not the case. What was in my favor was the exchange rate, that is about 2.36.
As for the language, we are pretty friendly and helpful people, who would go out of the way to help. So not speaking fluent Portuguese won't be a problem Smile A few words will help and be appreciated, but not strictly necessary. Specially now with the world cup, people are paying even more attention to signage, and other things. And finally the best way to learn it, would be on the field really, with some friends. Depending on where you live, you can also try to find a Brazilian/Portuguese community where you can go and experience a little bit.
Enjoy no matter what route you chose, and if I can be of any help, just let me know.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you can join the Barbear Classico shaving forum, if you had not already done so. It is in Portuguese, and have a lot of Portuguese and Brazilian folks there. There you can have a real experience with the Portuguese language in a fun way. Link is below:
http://www.barbearclassico.com/

10 486
 12-06-2013, 03:07 AM
User Info
Então, vamos incentivar o confrade a aprender um pouco da nossa língua lendo essa postagem escrita na nosso vernáculo. Espero que a estada no Brasil seja bastante proveitosa e que possa vir ao Rio Grande do Sul, estado onde nasci e moro até hoje! Estamos de braços abertos para te receber, T!

0 179
 12-06-2013, 11:50 AM
User Info
Vamos tudos falar em Portugues, entao, com traducao! Biggrin

Let's all speak Portugues, then, with translation!

75 20,883
 12-06-2013, 11:56 AM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
Pois, eu também 'tô afim! Biggrin

(Será que posso participar também se não sou bem brasileiro ou português? Sad)

- Murray

4 1,150
 12-06-2013, 01:25 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Estou dentro.
Nao importa a nacionalidade, escrevendo em Portugues ja esta bom Smile

10 486
 12-06-2013, 01:36 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
WTH you all taking about? Не понимаю Tongue

88 4,233
 12-06-2013, 02:13 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
Steve, it was proposed that we write in Portuguese to help tsimmns in his efforts to learn the language. Cool Then several of us announced that we were in, too.

You might start a Russian thread! Then we can ask you WTH you're saying. Tongue

- Murray

4 1,150
 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
  • goaman
  • Lisbon, Portugal
User Info
Vou juntar-me!!! Qualquer dúvida, disponha!!

2 152
 12-06-2013, 03:29 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Mais um, pois claro!

One more, whatever you need let us know.

25 4,630
 12-06-2013, 05:02 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I am joining up for the Portuguese site. I have really no reason why I want to learn the language, other than the fact I am going to plan on visiting there next year doing the World Cup possibly. Thanks thanks for all the words so far. I need to pull out Google translator now and figure out what they all mean.

So far, I have learned: Oi, tchau, bon tarde, and bo noiche. I realize I probably just buthcered those words with spelling, but I do know those meanings and I wanted to type without looking at the correct spelling. Now, off to listen to some Youtube videos and learn some more Portuguese.

15 970
 12-06-2013, 05:19 PM
User Info
Well done, even without Google Translator! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-06-2013, 05:23 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
(12-06-2013, 05:02 PM)tsimmns Wrote: I am joining up for the Portuguese site. I have really no reason why I want to learn the language, other than the fact I am going to plan on visiting there next year doing the World Cup possibly. Thanks thanks for all the words so far. I need to pull out Google translator now and figure out what they all mean.

So far, I have learned: Oi, tchau, bon tarde, and bo noiche. I realize I probably just buthcered those words with spelling, but I do know those meanings and I wanted to type without looking at the correct spelling. Now, off to listen to some Youtube videos and learn some more Portuguese.
Did you pick those words up just by listening? Well done. The spelling is not perfect, but anyone would be able to understand.

Just for reference: Boa tarde, boa noite. Although the pronunciation would really be boa noiche, like you wrote Smile

10 486
 12-06-2013, 05:42 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Fab, those are the words I have listened to and understand what they mean. One thing I am noticing is that it appears that some of the letters in Portuguese are pronounced different. I think it's a d that sounds like a g in Portuguese.

Also, it appears you have to pronounce different words differently if speaking to a man or a woman.

15 970
 12-06-2013, 08:01 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
(12-06-2013, 05:42 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Fab, those are the words I have listened to and understand what they mean. One thing I am noticing is that it appears that some of the letters in Portuguese are pronounced different. I think it's a d that sounds like a g in Portuguese.

Also, it appears you have to pronounce different words differently if speaking to a man or a woman.
Yes, some words you just don't pronounce like it is written. That is one thing that makes the language not the easiest one to learn Smile
About the man or woman, the language is the same, nothing like Japanese, that it is actually different the way you speak to a man or woman or even formal and non formal.
What we do have in Portuguese is gender for things as well as people. We don't have the concept of "it". Everything is either "male" or female". For example a car is considered to be of a "male" gender, so you would say: meu carro (my car). A house is considered to be of a "female" gender, so you would say : minha casa (my house). Much simpler in English I know Smile But don't that it discourage you!

10 486
 12-07-2013, 05:15 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(12-06-2013, 05:19 PM)celestino Wrote: Well done, even without Google Translator! Biggrin

I have learned Google Translator is ok, but some of the translations it throws out there leaves you shaking your head and wondering what was meant to be said.

15 970