12-06-2013, 02:23 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
So I bought two ATT Razors, Kronos and Atlas with R and M plates.
I tried shaving with Kronos handle trying both Heads with Astra SP and Personna Hu.

Both trials finish with very irritated skin and weepers, I might sell them and buy Feather as my Favourite is Feather Portable but is tab bit aggressive still. It is so hard to get not irritation shave for me.. I want to have DE I am able to shave comfortably ( Cobra should be with me any day now too).

I am upset. I will try one more approach

I used :

ABCBA and KMF Cool Mint, L7 Chef and as prep GFT Skin Food.

11 861
 12-06-2013, 07:42 AM
User Info
Suggest you double-check your angle, make sure you are not dropping the handle too far down towards the floor.

I found the R plate to aggressive, but the M plate as quite manageable (and enjoyable).

Good luck!

47 1,114
 12-06-2013, 07:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Jack, you should have bought the AS-D2 we talked about.

173 23,553
 12-06-2013, 08:16 AM
  • celar36
  • London, UK
User Info
(12-06-2013, 07:58 AM)Johnny Wrote: Jack, you should have bought the AS-D2 we talked about.

I know A6 and now I am is on sale

(12-06-2013, 07:42 AM)david1201 Wrote: Suggest you double-check your angle, make sure you are not dropping the handle too far down towards the floor.

I found the R plate to aggressive, but the M plate as quite manageable (and enjoyable).

Good luck!

I will try, thanks

11 861
 12-06-2013, 08:37 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nothing but pleasurable shaves with my ATT, Jack. Hope the advice David (or ultimately Johnny Wink) helps as it's a fine razor!

35 2,703
 12-06-2013, 08:49 AM
User Info
I was in the same boat as you Jack. Sadly I parted with them.

The workmanship was amazing though.

7 1,179
 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM
User Info
I have also heard that they can be a bit aggressive for lads with sensitive skin.
Good luck, Jack.

75 20,883
 12-08-2013, 04:33 PM
User Info
Stan at ATT provides a 30 day no questions asked money back deal so you should contact him. I would suggest the M plate first as I love the ATT system and use the R solid bar everyday and have all 3 OC plates on order now. You can not in my opinion compare ATT to the Feather AS D1 or 2 or any sintered or cast head razor to the quality of a machined head like ATT. I do hope it works out for you

0 74
 12-08-2013, 04:37 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear you are not getting the shaves you seek with the ATT hardware. I too could simply not get a smooth and comfortable shave from the ATT M plate I owned, and sold quickly. They are made very well and are gorgeous, just not smooth for some of us. You should pick up a Tradere SB or Weber if you are looking for a comfy shave.

63 2,128
 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Feather D2 has my vote Jack...

Return the ATT or list on BST. You've tried it now and can move on. Don't be disheartened, it's all part of the journey. There is shaving nirvana!

91 17,875
 12-08-2013, 05:03 PM
User Info
Hey guys,

I have a Weber (on a bulldog) and a SC101 (on an Atlas handle). I typically use Personna Blue or Shark blades. As some background reference, I'm coming from a 34HD (BBS everytime, no weepers or alum burn) and an aluminum tech (DFS at best, some alum burn)

I gauge the closeness/comfort of my shaves from a quick once-over with alum. If I have no burn then I know the shave was good. Any burn and I know I have to apply ASB.

That said, the Weber is extremely aggressive with Blues/Sharks. I'm going to try with some Derbys to see if they tame the shave. This goes double with the SC101. It's not as aggressive, but my face looks like hamburger meat after a shave with either one of these beasts.

Any ideas of what I can do to tame the shaves? I'd love to be able to keep and use them and not get rid of them.

19 631
 12-08-2013, 05:25 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Some razors and head handle combinations work and some don,t.If you have found the ideal razor just buy brushes,creams,soaps,after shaves and gadgets....nothing to be gained by forcing your shaves ...think of all the money you will save !!!!!

6 1,913
 12-08-2013, 06:59 PM
User Info
Starkicker, you may just not get along with either of those razors, or maybe using too much pressure? The Weber is moderate in aggression and the 101 is fairly mild. You could always try a Personna Lab or Med Prep, which are both sharp and very forgiving. If that doesn't work along with watching your angle and pressure, I say sell them both and move on. There is no sense in mangling your face if they just don't work for you.

63 2,128
 12-09-2013, 02:18 PM
User Info
Cessnabird,

I've bought and sold a few razors since starting this journey thinking that the razors were bad and not really giving them a fare shake. I've done this far too much with soaps; some soaps I never even lathered; just took a sniff and said nah and got rid of them.

I just wanted to make sure that I did everything reasonably possible before I got rid of these razors, mainly so I didn't regret getting rid of them like I did the 34HD. I bought one and gave it exactly one shave and sold it. I bought another one and after a few shaves realized it's the best razor for me.

I jumped out of my shaving schedule today; I should have shaved tomorrow based on my growth and soreness but I'm working a late shift and said what the hell. I used Cella as my soap and used a fresh Derby blade in the Weber. I did a WTG pass on one side of my face and it was great! Nice and mild and my face was still there and no burn. Swapped the blade into my SC101 and same thing! Got one microweeper but I'm tentatively pleased with the results. I foolishly decided to use a Personna Blue in my tech and found that I was able to get a decent DFS shave but I had to work my skin more with the tech. I think the constant scraping of the tech gave me some irritation, but at least I know I can work with the Weber and SC101 with less sharp blades.

I travel a fair bit and like carrying the aluminum tech because it's small and light but it can't shave worth a damn. I figure I must not be maintaining a good angle with it. As luck would have it, I won a bid on ebay for a OC aluminum tech so once that comes in hopefully it'll replace the SB tech.

Today was a good day.

19 631
 12-09-2013, 02:39 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I, too, found the R plate too aggressive, but only on my neck, so I traded it back to ATT for the M Plate and while it is still a tad bit heavy on my neck (where my hair grows in circles) it is much better and MUCH more enjoyable...I got a BBS this morning on my 7th shave on a Med Prep....the AS didn't sting as usual, so maybe my technique with this Razor is getting better...Still...I have hankering to try an AS-D2....

I've heard that the Cobra has a bite, too depending on your angles...it appears to be a much more finiky razor for angles....I have not tried one personally, but noticed they are back in stock today...

Do tell what sort of shave you get on your Cobra...

68 1,417
 12-09-2013, 03:04 PM
  • celar36
  • London, UK
User Info
I will keep update on everything. I am still trying to work out good blade for ATT.

11 861
 12-09-2013, 03:12 PM
User Info
Highly recommend you try the Gillette Silver Blues - sharp & smooth!

(12-09-2013, 03:04 PM)celar36 Wrote: I will keep update on everything. I am still trying to work out good blade for ATT.

47 1,114
 12-09-2013, 04:06 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
I felt the R plate was a little harsh at first. I've been using a Weber polished for six months and have come back to my Atlas R and love it. I had to adjust my technique, adjust my angle a bit and let the razor's weight do the work. I love my Weber but its starting to seem a little too mild. May have to sell it.

7 321
 12-09-2013, 05:33 PM
User Info
(12-09-2013, 04:06 PM)Csd3 Wrote: I felt the R plate was a little harsh at first. I've been using a Weber polished for six months and have come back to my Atlas R and love it. I had to adjust my technique, adjust my angle a bit and let the razor's weight do the work. I love my Weber but its starting to seem a little too mild. May have to sell it.

Can you explain why a shave which is too mild is not desirable? What do you like about aggressive shaves?

19 631
 12-09-2013, 08:09 PM
User Info
(12-09-2013, 03:12 PM)david1201 Wrote: Highly recommend you try the Gillette Silver Blues - sharp & smooth!

I 2nd this recommendation!

64 796