this is my face about an hour after taking a shower:

[Image: 20131206_001653.jpg?m=1386346239]

40 5,830
 12-06-2013, 08:39 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Andrew - my skin is like dried paper during these drier (for Texas) days. Is this unusual for you?

35 2,703
 12-06-2013, 08:54 AM
User Info
(12-06-2013, 08:39 AM)TexBilly Wrote: Andrew - my skin is like dried paper during these drier (for Texas) days. Is this unusual for you?

nah, it's pretty normal for me.

I have very hard water and often forget to apply any type of moisturizers to my skin after showering.

I have been putting on ASB before I go to bed though.

40 5,830
 12-06-2013, 10:28 AM
User Info
Andrew, I can't remember if you don't like shea butter, but it would really help out with your issue. Smile

75 20,883
 12-06-2013, 10:38 AM
User Info
(12-06-2013, 10:28 AM)celestino Wrote: Andrew, I can't remember if you don't like shea butter, but it would really help out with your issue. Smile

I don't mind it, but I'd prefer it more if I could get it as a liquid so it's easier to apply.

40 5,830
 12-06-2013, 10:46 AM
User Info
(12-06-2013, 10:38 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 10:28 AM)celestino Wrote: Andrew, I can't remember if you don't like shea butter, but it would really help out with your issue. Smile

I don't mind it, but I'd prefer it more if I could get it as a liquid so it's easier to apply.

* Andrew, have you tried the Nicoleta version. I know Ravi uses it and says it is a more "creamier" version and very easy to apply.
Even the one I use which is a bit denser, just by emulsifying it between my palms, I can get it to an almost oily state and it is very easy to apply.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 12-06-2013, 10:51 AM
User Info
(12-06-2013, 10:46 AM)celestino Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 10:38 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote:

* Andrew, have you tried the Nicoleta version. I know Ravi uses it and says it is a more "creamier" version and very easy to apply.
Even the one I use which is a bit denser, just by emulsifying it between my palms, I can get it to an almost oily state and it is very easy to apply.
Good luck.

I have not. do you have a link?

I just buy blocks of USB from an ebay seller.

40 5,830
 12-06-2013, 11:20 AM
User Info
Here is my original thread and you should be able to find Ravi's link.

http://shavenook.com/thread-unrefined-or...hea-butter

I would highly recommend getting some shea butter that is already refined and in tubs or some kind as these are so much easier to apply although a bit more expensive.
You could also try melting the shea butter 'brick' into containers to see if that works better. Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM
User Info
i use usb when going to bed - but it is generally too fatty for daytime use for me - and it is very annoying to get in the eyes. i have found an absolute amazing new cream that i wholeheartedly will recommend - speick face. it is (relatively) cheap & eco and i can not think of anything better for my face. as i live in chilly part of norway i am used to a very dry and cold weather for about 6 months every year and thus have used a moisturizer on my face every day for more than 25 years - i am never dry. the 'speick face' is top-of-the-pop.

it comes in 3 versions: light/normal/rich. i have tried all 3 and stick with light. i pay us$ 12 for a 50 ml metal tube that will last for about 2 months - and that is very reasonable.

[Image: 4mapRsq.jpg]

[Image: 8aBd77U.jpg]

7 1,625
 12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
User Info
(12-06-2013, 11:20 AM)celestino Wrote: Here is my original thread and you should be able to find Ravi's link.

http://shavenook.com/thread-unrefined-or...hea-butter

I would highly recommend getting some shea butter that is already refined and in tubs or some kind as these are so much easier to apply although a bit more expensive.
You could also try melting the shea butter 'brick' into containers to see if that works better. Biggrin

for anyone curious, here's the link to the shea butter: http://www.sliceofnature.com/shea-butter...utter.html

I'm not sure if melting the USB I currently have (I assume it's West African USB as it's more like clay) would keep it as a liquid or if it would just firm up again after it cooled down.

I've been using the same bar of soap for wash my face in the shower for months now. something I have that I haven't tried yet is African black soap. maybe I ought to give that a try.

40 5,830
 12-06-2013, 02:52 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(12-06-2013, 10:51 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 10:46 AM)celestino Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 10:38 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I don't mind it, but I'd prefer it more if I could get it as a liquid so it's easier to apply.

Good luck.

Andrew, I use Nilotica unrefined shea butter ... it's sourced from Uganda (East Africa) as opposed to the 'regular' shea butters that are typically from Ghana (West Africa). It is much softer, and melts with contact to hands and face i.e. does not require prep before application.

I buy jars from Shea Terra Organics ... excellent quality and service. If you register on their website, they have monthly discount coupons ... 30% off all items.
Here is the link for the Nilotica version of unrefined shea butter. They have other varietals too.

P.S. they also have an excellent African Black Soap ... exfoliating and good for acne-prone skin.

102 17,664
 12-06-2013, 05:59 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Andrew my skin will get very dry in the winter months. I've been using the Slice of Nature East African Organic Nilotica for quite some time.

After a shower I am very dry, and the She Butter does a great job of re-hydrating me. However, I've been using Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap lately for washing my face before shaving and at night (quit washing my face in the morning), and my skin have been very hydrated. I've been quite surprised by the performance of Dr. B's liquid soap. I keep the Peppermint around because I brush my teeth with it on backpacking trips, but he has tons of scents so you should be able to find something you'll like.

I quit washing in the morning because I read an article about how we men tend to wash their face too much and use too harsh of soaps. In the morning water is pretty much all you really need since your face was clean when you went to bed and your sheets are clean. I've been quite impressed with the condition of my skin since I started trying these two things.

On the Shea butter. I've had the tub for close to a year and use it almost everyday, twice a day, and barely half through the tub.

14 1,177
 12-09-2013, 01:12 PM
User Info
(12-06-2013, 11:47 AM)tonsorius Wrote: i use usb when going to bed - but it is generally too fatty for daytime use for me - and it is very annoying to get in the eyes. i have found an absolute amazing new cream that i wholeheartedly will recommend - speick face. it is (relatively) cheap & eco and i can not think of anything better for my face. as i live in chilly part of norway i am used to a very dry and cold weather for about 6 months every year and thus have used a moisturizer on my face every day for more than 25 years - i am never dry. the 'speick face' is top-of-the-pop.

it comes in 3 versions: light/normal/rich. i have tried all 3 and stick with light. i pay us$ 12 for a 50 ml metal tube that will last for about 2 months - and that is very reasonable.

[Image: 4mapRsq.jpg]

[Image: 8aBd77U.jpg]

does that product have alcohol in it?

I have the speick after shave splash but haven't used it yet. it does list alcohol as an ingredient so I wonder how drying it is...

(12-06-2013, 02:52 PM)Agravic Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 10:51 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 10:46 AM)celestino Wrote: * Andrew, have you tried the Nicoleta version. I know Ravi uses it and says it is a more "creamier" version and very easy to apply.
Good luck.

Andrew, I use Nilotica unrefined shea butter ... it's sourced from Uganda (East Africa) as opposed to the 'regular' shea butters that are typically from Ghana (West Africa). It is much softer, and melts with contact to hands and face i.e. does not require prep before application.

I buy jars from Shea Terra Organics ... excellent quality and service. If you register on their website, they have monthly discount coupons ... 30% off all items.
Here is the link for the Nilotica version of unrefined shea butter. They have other varietals too.

P.S. they also have an excellent African Black Soap ... exfoliating and good for acne-prone skin.

I just started using some African Black soap that I picked up a few months ago.

so far, so good...I guess the real test will be after a few weeks of use.

I do need to start using a moisturizer though, regardless.

(12-06-2013, 05:59 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: Andrew my skin will get very dry in the winter months. I've been using the Slice of Nature East African Organic Nilotica for quite some time.

After a shower I am very dry, and the She Butter does a great job of re-hydrating me. However, I've been using Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap lately for washing my face before shaving and at night (quit washing my face in the morning), and my skin have been very hydrated. I've been quite surprised by the performance of Dr. B's liquid soap. I keep the Peppermint around because I brush my teeth with it on backpacking trips, but he has tons of scents so you should be able to find something you'll like.

I quit washing in the morning because I read an article about how we men tend to wash their face too much and use too harsh of soaps. In the morning water is pretty much all you really need since your face was clean when you went to bed and your sheets are clean. I've been quite impressed with the condition of my skin since I started trying these two things.

On the Shea butter. I've had the tub for close to a year and use it almost everyday, twice a day, and barely half through the tub.

I usually only wash my face when I shower at nice and use a bar of soap. for the rest of my body, I use body wash and a loofah.

My wife uses Dr. Bronner's soap in our kitchen and I happen to LOVE the smell of it.

I should pick up a bar to use in the shower.

40 5,830
 12-09-2013, 01:22 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Andrew ive been using Dr Bonners Coconut oil it does as good a job as shea butter but is easy to apply. Can be picked up at the grocery store

115 1,692
 12-09-2013, 02:49 PM
User Info
it has indeed alcohol listed - but the cream does exactly the opposite of drying.

[Image: JCPVXiM.jpg]

7 1,625
 12-09-2013, 04:17 PM
User Info
Anybody find a good source for ordering Speick Face here in the U.S.?

0 303
 02-07-2014, 02:02 PM
User Info
this has been amazing for my skin: http://shavenook.com/thread-oil-facial-wash

I do not use any other moisturizers, either.

40 5,830
 02-07-2014, 02:08 PM
  • sm304
  • Carnoustie, UK.
User Info
Have you tried Aleppo soap? It's olive oil and laurel oil, I'll admit the scent grows on you but it's pretty good, on my skin anyway.

0 89
 02-07-2014, 03:03 PM
User Info
i have used high quality aleppo soaps made from organic olive oil. many. to the end. plain without laurel and every percentage grade of laurel - and the laurel was especially annoying for the eyes when used on face (and of course i never had the soap foam too close to my eyes) - like an allergic reaction. i find them all very drying/harsh - and they should ideally be stored for many years to become good enough. old syrian men often brag about their old soaps stored for maybe 30 or 40 years (well - that is maybe not happening for much longer) - like treasures of course.

at first i found pure happiness with this soaps and really really wanted to like them. unfortunately my skin type or climatic surroundings don't agree. maybe they use too strong lye these days?

sorry aleppo Sad

7 1,625
 03-07-2014, 01:10 PM
User Info
You should check out Game Day Moisturizer: Hydrator + SPF30. It will help out with your problem.

0 34