12-07-2013, 01:44 PM
User Info
Another Strong Set Wooden Handle

What's up Doc?

I started another restoration. This piece of Americana traveled from Mount Holly, New Jersey, United States, to Barcelona, Spain, and will be restored by me. I am going to post pictures along the months the restoration process lasts. Step by step.

You know that I love the old barber style brushes. You know that I love using them, and replacing the long bristles by new badger knots, even the bristles be yet unused. It is my way. It is the way that I best prefer to have brushes completely functional for me, that usually lather in the face.

I have another brush like this (see here http://shavenook.com/thread-strong-set-wooden-handle ), restored for me by Javier "El Druida", and I was thinking days ago this brush will not be for me. This brush will be for a good friend, that deserves it. The ferrule needs stabilizing, more work on it, and the handle needs also a lot of work, because it was very very dirty. I'm glad it needs a bit of work more than others, by that I choose it for my friend.

Here the initial pics.

[Image: StSet0.jpg]

Cutting the knot

[Image: Cutting%2520knots.jpg]

Starting the job. Initial sanding mounted on my homemade mandrel. After that, I was planning 30 minutes immersion in bleach, but I forgot it, and went to the cinema with my kids. Then, after 4 hours bleached, the handle was clean, of course. Drying all the night at the balcony, and next day, 3 hours immersion in water. Another sanding. I think it will be necessary one or two immersions in water. Now it is drying again.

[Image: StSet1.jpg]

[Image: StSet2.jpg]

Enjoy your restorations! And mine!

1 1,428
 12-07-2013, 07:52 PM
User Info
Juan, great looking handles, amigo! Have fun with the restorations! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-07-2013, 08:01 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Awesome project...

Posted from somewhere east of Montauk

33 914
 12-07-2013, 08:06 PM
User Info
A master restorer and gentleman. Well done so far, Juan!

47 1,270
 12-07-2013, 08:12 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Fantastic project Juan.

I could not help but notice the irony of the blind folded knots before "executing" the first process...

91 17,875
 12-08-2013, 02:11 AM
User Info
Thank you friends.

1 1,428
 12-08-2013, 05:30 AM
User Info
Very nice! What size knot will that handle take?

31 1,800
 12-08-2013, 05:39 AM
User Info
The hole is 19.8 - 20 mm diameter.
I have one with a TGN 18 mm Finest, but I've tried the TGN 20 mm Finest FAN and it fits too.

1 1,428
 12-08-2013, 05:49 AM
User Info
Thanks!

31 1,800
 12-08-2013, 10:32 AM
User Info
Hi mates! Excuse me for bothering, if it was the case.

Today, after the all night drying of the first water immersion after the bleach immersion, today it went to another water immersion. The water was yet yellowish. After that, today drying, hanging at the balcony. Although I think I will do at least another water immersion more (yes, it will become the "diver brush") I am playing around and testing visual appearance of a couple knots I have in my knots arsenal. I told you in another post that the key is to have several knots at home, to check what is the best knot for every handle. And by now, you should know I am a very meticolous restorer, and usually I think twice before moving. By that, my restorations advance unevenly, and usually take months. Not business, just enjoying. The goal is not finish it, the goal is the restoration process, enjoying it! Food for the soul! (Please forgive me, today I feel a bit poet)

Well, this brush will be for a good friend. He does not know. But I will restore it like if it was for me. I know he will enjoy my way! And for the handle I have plans, Oh yeah, coloured plans! But at the moment I am playing with knots. I think I already know what knot I will install, but maybe you can say your preference between this two excellent knots.

Help me, play with me!

And, of course, Enjoy your restorations, and mine!

[Image: StSet3.jpg]

1 1,428
 12-08-2013, 11:06 AM
User Info
I like the 20mm fan

31 1,800
 12-08-2013, 11:28 AM
User Info
Doc, I have found the 20mm finest fan to be the best " All Around " knot I have ever used . Looks great in a strong set brush too !!!

6 1,224
 12-08-2013, 04:09 PM
User Info
I'd go with the fan!

60 1,698
 12-13-2013, 02:09 PM
User Info
Yes! The FAN knot is the chosen knot!
Thank you very much friends, in the end I gave him a last bath of oxygenated water. Now we'll go to sandpaper, steel wool, anilines dye, and then marine varnish

1 1,428
 12-13-2013, 03:09 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wonderful Juan, I'm really enjoying sharing in the restoration process!

91 17,875
 12-13-2013, 03:10 PM
User Info
Juan, good luck with finishing the brush and pics would be wonderful when you finish it! Biggrin

75 20,883
 03-14-2014, 02:09 PM
User Info
Well friends. The job is done. I'm not entirely satisfied with the result. I am an amateur and applying the aniline dye to the wood the right way is not easy. There have been a couple of poorly dyed areas, but I think the grain of the wood propitiates that, due to their different porosity depending on the angle. It was necessary that the dye was intense, due to fact that the ferrule is bright black and has yellow lettering. I did not mean a light green tone to show the wood grain, but a malachite green with lots of character .

Here is a picture you can see the dye, before varnished, and the ferrule glued, just before glueing the knot. The varnish is marine grade , and takes 6 or 7 very thin coats. In this case I have not applied primer before varnish. This finish produces an iridiscent effect when light is incident at different angles, which makes it glow and change color slightly. This, I have not been able to show in the photos.

[Image: StSet4.jpg]

But that is the first thing my friend has noticed today when I gave him the brush (this brush has been a gift for a good friend). Although I'm not completely satisfied with the restoration, he is very satisfied, and this brush was for him from the beginning. So there was no turning back. I knew that from the moment I had the brush in hand, and I have restored it with care during months.
And now the specifications and pictures of the finished brush. No pictures after flowering, at least until he sent me one.

Specs

Handle Height 72.5 mm (ferrule 22.5 mm, rest of handle 50 mm)

Knot
Original knot was boar 20 mm
Now, it has a TGN Finest Badger FAN knot 20x46.5 mm

Total height of the brush 119 mm
Total weight 37 gr.

[Image: StSet5.jpg]

[Image: StSet6.jpg]

[Image: StSet7.jpg]

1 1,428
 03-15-2014, 09:40 AM
User Info
That looks amazing!