12-07-2013, 02:27 PM
User Info
Delivered today on my doorstep: Mühle Vivo Black Fibre 2.0 ...

Certainly a good looking brush in the faux horn handle with the metal base.

First disappointment: measures on Connaught's site read 21/50mm; actual measures for the knot are 19/53mm.

The fibre feels very soft on the skin when dry; similar to the STF 2.0 brush that I also own...

Now I am the 2 Band badger kind of guy and only occasionally use my Mühle STF 2.0. I was intrigued by the looks of the black fibre brush and want to give it a try.

The brush is less dense than the STF. Hardly any backbone when dry (not a good sign for wet behavior). I will give her a spin tomorrow and will report back...

[Image: B39hdlK.jpg]

31 1,554
 12-07-2013, 02:30 PM
User Info
(12-07-2013, 02:27 PM)German Wrote: Delivered today on my doorstep: Mühle Vivo Black Fibre 2.0 ...

Certainly a good looking brush in the faux horn handle with the metal base.

First disappointment: measures on Connaught's site read 21/50mm; actual measures for the knot are 19/53mm.

The fibre feels very soft on the skin when dry; similar to the STF 2.0 brush that I also own...

Now I am the 2 Band badger kind of gut and only occasionally use my Mühle STF 2.0. I was intrigued by the looks of the black fibre brush and want to give it a try.

The brush is less dense than the STF. Hardly any backbone when dry (not a good sign for wet behavior). I will give her a spin tomorrow and will report back...

[Image: B39hdlK.jpg]

Nice looking brush. I kept my V1 STF with the Faux Horn partially because of how it looked. The Black Fibre knots are less dense than the hand made STF knots.

I look forward to hearing your impressions.

1 2,827
 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
Yes German, I also found my VIVO to have a loft closer to 53/54. I didn't have a good way to even estimate the knot diameter. While it is very soft I find that the springiness of these fibres provides more than adequate backbone while being the softest tips out there. My RV Black Fibres which are 50/51mm lofted have much, MUCH more backbone.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the feel in use. I already know that it will do a great job making lather.

31 7,914
 12-07-2013, 06:16 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Sorry to hear of your disappointing purchase, German. From your description, it sounds almost perfect for bowl-lathering, so I will probably be ordering one of these for myself in the near future. Thanks for sharing a good description and photo of the brush with the rest of us, so that we are all a little better informed.

- Murray

4 1,150
 12-07-2013, 07:30 PM
User Info
Good looking brush and I hope it works out for you!
It may have a hard time seeing use with all of your 2-bands, though! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-07-2013, 08:19 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
That doesn't look like a 2 band! Tongue

91 17,854
 12-07-2013, 10:55 PM
User Info
Sure it is.

Band 1 = faux horn
Band 2 = Black Fibre

31 7,914
 12-07-2013, 11:09 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Looking forward to read your impressions of the brush.

86 7,123
 12-08-2013, 04:34 AM
User Info
It seems like Muhle sets the loft on all its synthetics too high. Looking forward to your report on how it performs.

37 2,965
 12-08-2013, 06:20 AM
User Info
I do not have this fantastic looking brush you just bought (but I have been eying it since I discovered it on the Muhle site) but I remember having the exact same impressions when I first received my black fibers.

Indeed, an impression of small, not dense enough and a strange loft height.

But, as the song says, 'they all laughed when Edison recorded sound' .
In use, I have found these black fibers excellent performers.

Muhle seems to know what they are doing quite well, as they produce great items.
But I would not mind a big, chubby black fibers brush indeed Smile

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 641
 12-08-2013, 07:23 AM
User Info
I guess this brush is a mixed bag....

First of all, I had a decent shave using T&H Ultra Comfort cream with this brush. I am sure soaps would work as well but probably a bit more difficult with hard soaps given the lack of density...

The brush makes lather easy as expected ... Mine ended up a bit on the airy side, probably my error though as I haven't used a cream in a long time and haven't "dialed" it in... I started out in a bowl and then continued face lathering.... I was ready for the worst... Dodgy

And - it was not quite that bad... Biggrin

The knot is very springy, not very dense, and, if pushed to hard against the face, will just either splay flat on your skin or "jump" away.

However, if used with gentle pressure, you can actually face lather with circular motion and it will create and distribute lather on the face just fine.
Now this is not a dense badger knot and, if you are used to that - like I am - it will feel quite different and will take some time to adjust your routine.

A few additional shots below: The third one is a close-up of the knot from the top with flash engaged... looks kind of funky... Cool

[Image: rqT2UtM.jpg]

[Image: IjynXvU.jpg]

[Image: ahR6n4i.jpg]

The handle is excellent workmanship... beautiful to look at and nice and heavy in your hand... Different to other reviews of the Vivo line I did not feel the heavy handle bottom creates any problem.

I am yet unsure, if I like the STF or the Black Fibre better... will have to use it a bit more ... and then relax in-between with the luxurious feel of a Chubby 2 in 2 Band... Rolleyes

[Image: OZiBCso.jpg]

31 1,554
 12-08-2013, 07:29 AM
User Info
(12-08-2013, 07:23 AM)German Wrote: I guess this brush is a mixed bag....

First of all, I had a decent shave using T&H Ultra Comfort cream with this brush. I am sure soaps would work as well but probably a bit more difficult with hard soaps given the lack of density...

The brush makes lather easy as expected ... Mine ended up a bit on the airy side, probably my error though as I haven't used a cream in a long time and haven't "dialed" it in... I started out in a bowl and then continued face lathering.... I was ready for the worst... Dodgy

And - it was not quite that bad... Biggrin

The knot is very springy, not very dense, and, if pushed to hard against the face, will just either splay flat on your skin or "jump" away.

However, if used with gentle pressure, you can actually face lather with circular motion and it will create and distribute lather on the face just fine.
Now this is not a dense badger knot and, if you are used to that - like I am - it will feel quite different and will take some time to adjust your routine.

A few additional shots below: The third one is a close-up of the knot from the top with flash engaged... looks kind of funky... Cool

[Image: rqT2UtM.jpg]

[Image: IjynXvU.jpg]

[Image: ahR6n4i.jpg]

The handle is excellent workmanship... beautiful to look at and nice and heavy in your hand... Different to other reviews of the Vivo line I did not feel the heavy handle bottom creates any problem.

I am yet unsure, if I like the STF or the Black Fibre better... will have to use it a bit more ... and then relax in-between with the luxurious feel of a Chubby 2 in 2 Band... :roll eyes:

[Image: OZiBCso.jpg]

Your appraisal line is really what I tell everyone about synthetics in general.

Quote:Now this is not a dense badger knot and, if you are used to that - like I am - it will feel quite different and will take some time to adjust your routine.

Mühle opted to go with both the STF and Black Fibre to capture two different elements that could be achieved using synthetic fibers.

Excellent review, I look forward to reading more.

1 2,827
 12-08-2013, 09:59 AM
User Info
(12-07-2013, 06:16 PM)CMur12 Wrote: From your description, it sounds almost perfect for bowl-lathering,

I have it and i don't think that bowl lathering suit to that brush
Face lathering is better
The knots does not "open",the bristles have a tension like sping.

0 353
 12-08-2013, 05:14 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
What I look for in a brush for bowl-lathering is a taller loft that allows some flex and a low-density knot, which lathers way more efficiently.

With a less dense brush, I am able to better control the rate of aeration, preventing sudsing and producing a denser, creamier lather. It also does the job much more quickly.

- Murray

4 1,150
 12-08-2013, 07:56 PM
User Info
Best of luck with the brush! That handle sure looks lovely! Smile

75 20,883
 12-08-2013, 08:38 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I realize this thread is about the synthetic, but how can anything compete with a Chubby two band?

47 1,378
 12-09-2013, 03:16 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
(12-08-2013, 08:38 PM)MaxP Wrote: I realize this thread is about the synthetic, but how can anything compete with a Chubby two band?

Pure own Thumbup

11 861