04-25-2012, 07:25 PM
User Info
It has been reported that the new enrollment or users of Facebook has seem to peak or decline. This reported on the eve of their public offering. It happened to My Space now perhaps Facebook.

5 273
 04-25-2012, 07:31 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I've read that a lot of the younger gen have fled FB to "get away" from family members who friend and lurk - too public for them. What irony.

35 2,703
 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM
User Info
I will be glad when it's end comes. I have seen too many lives ruined by bad of stupid posts and infidelity with long lost exs. On the other hand i have reconnected with many people and have been able to share my life with them a bit.

5 273
 04-25-2012, 08:17 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-25-2012, 07:31 PM)TexBilly Wrote: I've read that a lot of the younger gen have fled FB to "get away" from family members who friend and lurk - too public for them. What irony.

I have read that too. Just when I thought I was getting old, I discover that I am really hip. I don't facebook. Biggrin

45 16,278
 04-25-2012, 08:50 PM
User Info
(04-25-2012, 08:17 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 07:31 PM)TexBilly Wrote: I've read that a lot of the younger gen have fled FB to "get away" from family members who friend and lurk - too public for them. What irony.

I have read that too. Just when I thought I was getting old, I discover that I am really hip. I don't facebook. Biggrin

You're so hip you wasn't on facebook before it got popular not to be there? I guess that places me ahead of the curve as well; I've never been a member of facebook (or myspace, or whatever) either; I just don't see the attraction. If you want to talk to friends, use email or a forum. If you want to talk about yourself, use a blog.

I'm not quite forty, but the kids on the 'net makes me feel old at times... onion on my belt, get of my lawn, the whole nine yeards.

3 3,550
 04-25-2012, 09:15 PM
User Info

That is ironic, especially since those family members have been lurking for quite some time. The larger trend is that Facebook is becoming even more mainstream, with older adults now joining in greater numbers. Half the people in the US are on Facebook. It can only grow just so much before membership levels off.

0 303
 04-25-2012, 09:25 PM
User Info
I laugh when I hear people now say use a forum or e-mail and not Facebook or twitter.

I only laugh because others would say years ago when computers first came out,..why use e-mail..why can't you just call them or write a letter.

It is ironic how we now defend the "old" ways of e-mail.

5 273
 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM
User Info
I imagine that Google+ is responsible for its decline. I doubt Google+ will ever become as popular as Facebook, but I know quite a few people who've permanently left Facebook to switch over to Google+.

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of social networking sites in general. I use them primarily to join groups and enter sweepstakes.

0 214
 04-25-2012, 09:51 PM
User Info
Google to me has become the internet. Little gets done without Google or some attachment to it.

Yahoo...Yahoo was the first Google pushing out altavista and dogpile and lycos and aol. Google in writing its own code and hardware will ensure it does not become Yahoo.

Facebook does not have such power as does google.

5 273
 04-26-2012, 02:19 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
I got out of facebook a long time ago. It was a case of facebook keep making annoying "improvements", people constantly bugging me about games, surveys and other crud, friends who shared things I did not want to know, other people following what I was doing far too closely...

I had my privacy set as secure as I could, would post something, and people I would know in real life that were not my friends would know about what I posted. That just should not happen... I especially don't want my students and the parents of my students to know every little thing I say or do online.... So I got out

In regards to Google+... I got an account when it first started and so few people were signing up, I forgot about it. Last I knew it was a wasteland of inactivity. Are people actually using it now?

0 253
 04-26-2012, 03:52 AM
User Info
I was invited to join google plus when they were rolling it out(needed an invite from existing member), and I haven't been on it in a year or so. I don't know one person who uses it reguarly, but of course our circles are different Smile
As far as decline(as being reported- I read that too), Facebook just hit 900,000,000 users and will hit 1 Billion by end of 2012. I wouldn't exactly call that a decline. Peak, sure...but it has to peak off at some point unless you expect senior citezens and toddlers to start signing up. I wouldn't worry about investing in the Giant if you are thinking about doing so.
I am not a facebook fanboy by any means, in fact I rarely uses it...however it has helped me keep in touch with friends and family of whom I may not often pick up a phone and reach out to. Just my two cents....

9 333
 04-26-2012, 04:36 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I like face book. It lets me easily keep up with family and friends. I can share photos, send emails, and discuss things with friends. The regular "improvements" do get a bit annoying but it isn't that big of a deal to me.

If FB dies something will replace it.

7 1,016
 04-26-2012, 05:45 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Someone mentioned having a blog if you want to update people about yourself. That's basically what Facebook is, a really fancy shared blog site. Which is precisely what I use it for.

10 1,858
 04-26-2012, 05:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I prefer face to face instead of facebook. Ring my doorbell, I will open the door and we can talk. Otherwise, call me, email me, or write me an old fashioned letter. I respond to all.

Besides, I don't have time for the likes of facebook, I'm busy on shaving forums.Smile

173 23,486
 04-26-2012, 05:59 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
With the increase in older people joining Facebook, I feel like it's taken the place to a certain extent of the old "Family Newsletter" letters that people used to send out at Christmas time when I was a kid.

10 1,858
 04-26-2012, 06:53 AM
User Info
I am not sure that Facebook is in a decline, but now that there are more options out there (twitter, linkedin, Google+) we are seeing the anticipated slow down. Plus, one has to assume that everyone who plans on using FB is already using it.

1 223
 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
  • Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn
User Info
I work with computers everyday and for some reason my concerns about my privacy stop me from joining to FB. I am not sorry about downtime of FB.

7 147
 04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I've had an account for years, and I used to check it several times a day. I check it less and less often now. I am just not their "target user". I've got a couple hundred friends, all of whom I actually know. Every "improvement" they make makes it less relevent to me. Most of the changes seem to be aimed at streamlining it for those who have 3000 "friends", and just want to see the "most popular" posts.

0 270
 04-26-2012, 06:00 PM
User Info
I had to take a break from FB when I realized I was arguing politics with high school classmates I hadn't seen or talked to in 20 years. So now I do it on Google+ with people I don't even know.

4 112
 04-26-2012, 06:24 PM
User Info
Proud to say I've never been to Facebook, Myspace, twitter, or any other space.

0 372