12-08-2013, 10:34 PM
User Info
This blade came in for some work without scales. The client originally wanted me to modify it with a Spanish point, some spine work, thumb notches then add some colorful scales.
I sat on it for some time until I realized I just couldn't do it to such a nice vintage and somewhat special blade being that it's a Cutlers to their Majesties as well as the fact it was in pretty nice condition.
I explained my position on pieces such as this and he agreed. Apparently when he first got into straights he liked the bling factor but has come around to seeing the beauty in vintage original style blades.
It would have been a shame to modify such a nice blade.
After a bit of research I found some photos showing the style of scales on these pieces. I did a brushed finish on the blade, polished the shaft and used brass pins and washers to wrap it up. Digging through my parts box I found a lead wedge that was modified to fit these scales.
I like the bevel on the scales and the way it catches light as the razor is handled.

[Image: gDd7oHA.jpg]

[Image: cTDHCyP.jpg]

[Image: RfCcAO6.jpg]

[Image: xbOPODI.jpg]

[Image: 58bYt7i.jpg]

[Image: 9LddP8w.jpg]

[Image: 8fpkuhR.jpg]

[Image: XzMpYyh.jpg]

0 772
 12-09-2013, 03:00 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Truly love the lead wedge. And I agree, the bevel on the scales is nice...sore of faceted.

33 914
 12-09-2013, 06:27 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Nicely done, Mark !

0 1,291
 12-14-2013, 05:24 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm so happy you convinced your client to honour the original beauty of this piece. It's lack of bling, is what makes it shine!

91 17,610
 12-19-2013, 08:23 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Lovely finish to great metal!

8 1,190