12-09-2013, 05:59 AM
User Info
I've been focusing lately on Essential Oil Soaps (both Veggie & Tallow) so I can't resist trying new artisan soaps as they come along. Biggrin

As such, I had to try a sample of Hardy Shaving Products Citrus Basil after reading a positive review on it.

This is a veggie-based soap in the vein of LA Shaving, Calani, MdC, etc.

Samples are quite generous (I'd say 30 shaves easily), and come nicely packaged.

First shave today with this one, did a 10-15 second load on the small diameter container it comes in (i.e. used very little soap).

This one doesn't explode into lather quite as quickly as MdC or LA Shaving, but after minimal effort (maybe a minute) and a fair amount of water, I ended up with with an ultra-luxurious, ultra thick lather!

Glide and cushion was over-the-top, one of the best shaves I've ever had! Scent was OMG awesome - really up there with my favorites, and perfect strength IMHO!

Post Shave moisturizing is also impressive, more like a Tallow soap than a veggie.

4 pass shave with plenty of lather left over and my skin was in heaven! Smile

In short, this soap loads and lathers quickly like my best veggie soaps, and is dense and slick like my best tallow soaps!

Samples are unfortunately out-of-stock at the moment, will hopefully come back in soon (I will be order some of these for stocking stuffers!).

I also had ordered a sample of the Cedar Sage, scent on this one is very light (too light for my taste).

Here's a link to the Citrus Basil and a quick photo of a very light load and palm lather:

http://www.hardyshaveproducts.com/collec...kum-butter

[Image: 2013_12_+9_+8_38.jpg]

47 1,112
 12-09-2013, 06:24 AM
User Info
Your description sounds a lot better than that lather looks. Glad you enjoyed the soap, though. It's always nice to have many excellent options when it comes to artisanal shave soaps. Biggrin

1 1,104
 12-09-2013, 06:28 AM
User Info
Yes, I was rushed with the palm lather and didn't load enough soap. Highly recommend giving this one a try!

47 1,112
 12-09-2013, 07:29 AM
User Info
Another, better attempt at hand lathering this one:

[Image: 2013_12_+9_10_26.jpg]

47 1,112
 12-09-2013, 08:13 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very interesting ... thanks for sharing, David.

102 17,665
 12-09-2013, 08:46 AM
User Info
Great to hear you are enjoying the soap and it is a great time to be shaving with all of these choices of artisanal soaps!

75 20,883
 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM
User Info
Haven't tried the soap, but Hardy's aftershave lotion (which is really a balm) is really spectacular stuff. Moisturizes well, not too strong a fragrance (I have the anise bergamot, which I've actually started using as a facial moisturizer up here in bitter New England) and reduces post-shave redness extremely well. Highly recommend giving the sampler a try.

5 407
 12-09-2013, 10:37 AM
User Info
He's running a promotion of 33% off when you use the code "PCS" at checkout; he's an active duty officer and is being relocated (something like this) so is selling off inventory.

I'd love to try some but have more soap than I can handle and the wife has put her foot down on new purchases.

(12-09-2013, 06:24 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Your description sounds a lot better than that lather looks. Glad you enjoyed the soap, though. It's always nice to have many excellent options when it comes to artisanal shave soaps. Biggrin

Kingfisher, just curious as to why that lather looks bad?

19 631
 12-12-2013, 10:47 AM
User Info
It just looks a little too airy to me. Airy lathers can be slick but they're not very protective.

1 1,104
 12-13-2013, 10:53 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Nice review always great to hear of new soaps.

1 3,507