12-10-2013, 08:16 PM
User Info
I just found this site tonight and thought introductions might be in order. I have been trying my hand at "old school shaving". Trying to get rid of ingrown hairs and shaving rash.
So far I have tried a Merkur 180 with Astas and sharks. It just took to many passes.
A FaTip with Astras and Sharks. The opposite problem. Almost a BBS with 1 pass, but the razor burn was awful.
A 1918 open comb Gillette with Astras only. That was enough to know this razor wasn't for me...
A 1912 Gem Junior fat handle with a Treet blade. Not a whole lot better than the old Gillette.
An Aristocrat with Personna Reds gave me a nice shave. Not a perfect shave. Just some minor irritation.
A Straight razor... Yeah minor cuts... I don't have enough technique yet to know. My shave wasn't close and after the second neck cut, a gusher, I finished off with the Aristocrat and had major shaving rash and ingrown hairs.
That takes us current. I bought alot of razors to try and am determined to figure out what will work for me.

0 2
 12-10-2013, 08:21 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Hello and welcome!

88 4,233
 12-10-2013, 08:26 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Greetings from Australia and welcome to the Nook!

91 17,835
 12-10-2013, 08:31 PM
User Info
Hello and welcome to the forum.

184 12,003
 12-10-2013, 08:40 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Welcome to the Nook!

45 3,955
 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook! Smile

75 20,883
 12-10-2013, 09:17 PM
User Info
I was thinking about your introduction, and my thought was that you should try to work at making your technique with each razor as good as possible, employing several different blades, before you conclude that the razor is not right for you. Each razor requires different grasp, angle, pressure, and stroke, in addition to performing differently with various blades. It probably will require at least a dozen uses with a single razor/blade combination before being relatively certain that you are using it as well as you can for your face terrain and skin. Only at that point can you judge how good a "fit" it is for you. And even once you decide that a given combination doesn't seem really good, don't discard either the razor or the blade too quickly. Each might still work better in a different combination; plus you probably will find that as time passes and your technique continues to improve and your motor memory gets fine tuned, revisiting a particular combination may produce changed results. Anyway, good luck with your exploration, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

184 12,003
 12-10-2013, 09:53 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hey therer and Welcome to the Shave Nook. I also was looking over your intro and agree with John above. I also would like to suggest you try a few things to help you along. 1st is prep well. You have to hydrate your whiskers well. A pre shave wash is good as well as shaving after a shower. make sure you let your lather soak in for a minute to assist this. Next I would suggest you use less pressure than you did while using carts. Take short strokes and watch you angle. And as curchillafemme said your motor skills will improve. Look over this site for advise. Or simply ask questions. We are here to help.

Good Luck and Happy Shaves...

5 1,151
 12-11-2013, 01:21 AM
User Info
Hello, welcome to: " The Shave Nook " Relax & Enjoy.

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 12-11-2013, 01:32 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook!

102 17,665
 12-11-2013, 03:46 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN

31 4,957
 12-11-2013, 04:59 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you for joining The Shave Nook.

100 12,440
 12-11-2013, 07:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook.

Both John and Joe give good advise above.

Patience, practice, no pressure. Let the blade and razor do the work.

Prep, prep, prep. One of the most important processes in shaving.

You did not say how you prepped or what shaving soaps/creams you have tried.

173 23,519
 12-11-2013, 08:01 AM
User Info
Welcome to the Nook Biggrin

92 2,566
 12-11-2013, 08:21 AM
User Info
Welcome to the forum

0 6
 12-11-2013, 08:57 AM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook.

1 523
 12-11-2013, 09:48 AM
User Info
Hello and welcome! Smile

2 5,531
 12-11-2013, 12:41 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(12-10-2013, 09:17 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I was thinking about your introduction, and my thought was that you should try to work at making your technique with each razor as good as possible, employing several different blades, before you conclude that the razor is not right for you. Each razor requires different grasp, angle, pressure, and stroke, in addition to performing differently with various blades. It probably will require at least a dozen uses with a single razor/blade combination before being relatively certain that you are using it as well as you can for your face terrain and skin. Only at that point can you judge how good a "fit" it is for you. And even once you decide that a given combination doesn't seem really good, don't discard either the razor or the blade too quickly. Each might still work better in a different combination; plus you probably will find that as time passes and your technique continues to improve and your motor memory gets fine tuned, revisiting a particular combination may produce changed results. Anyway, good luck with your exploration, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

(12-10-2013, 09:53 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Hey therer and Welcome to the Shave Nook. I also was looking over your intro and agree with John above. I also would like to suggest you try a few things to help you along. 1st is prep well. You have to hydrate your whiskers well. A pre shave wash is good as well as shaving after a shower. make sure you let your lather soak in for a minute to assist this. Next I would suggest you use less pressure than you did while using carts. Take short strokes and watch you angle. And as curchillafemme said your motor skills will improve. Look over this site for advise. Or simply ask questions. We are here to help.

Good Luck and Happy Shaves...

(12-11-2013, 07:13 AM)Johnny Wrote: Welcome to The Shave Nook.

Both John and Joe give good advise above.

Patience, practice, no pressure. Let the blade and razor do the work.

Prep, prep, prep. One of the most important processes in shaving.

You did not say how you prepped or what shaving soaps/creams you have tried.

John, Joe, and Johnny have pretty much nailed it. Don't give up. You'll get the hang of it and don't forget that many, if not most, of us have walked the path you are on now. Thumbsup

Welcome to The Shave Nook and enjoy your stay. Smile

2 11,211
 12-11-2013, 01:13 PM
User Info
Welcome to the Nook , from a fellow KC area member.

6 1,224
 12-11-2013, 04:05 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Welcome!

0 1,136