12-11-2013, 09:54 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I cant recommend enough Whipped Dog silvertip brushes. This is my 3rd positive story with the Whipped Dog silvertip knots and Im very , very satisfied with it.

You can read my other experiences here : Whipped Dog 20 mm Silvertip , and here : Whipped Dog 24 mm Silvertip

Due to a trade with a good friend of mine , I got this knot and handle , which let me tell you , looks even much better in person than in pics :

[Image: DSC_0422.JPG?m=1386783232]

[Image: DSC_0425.JPG?m=1386783280]

I knew what to expect from the Whipped Dog silvertip knots , and gentlemen , this is another great example of the badger knots that Larry is selling on his store : this is a knot packed with plenty of quality silvertip hair , white tips and basically , no glue bump at all :

[Image: DSC_0423-01.JPG?m=1386783231]

After playing with different loft measures , I decided to glue the knot to the handle with a loft of 48/49 mm : what a great choice it was ! Perfect brush for facelathering , with the perfect amount ( for me ) of flow and backbone.

[Image: DSC_0699.JPG?m=1386783490]

Its simply a great example of what a quality silvertip brush should be : extra soft tips , good backbone due to its loft and perfect flow , also due to its flexible hair.

I have tested it with shaving creams with a lot of success , as well as with hard soaps with the same results. And for a facelatherer , this is a dream : I honestly can compare it with mime Truefitt and Hill (Rooney 1/1 ) silvertip brushes , since this knot contains a lot of silvertip hair , as you can see in this pic :

[Image: DSC_0700.JPG?m=1386783491]

But even with that quantity of hair , releases the lather very quick , so its not what we could call a "lather hog" at all.

The feeling of this kind of silvertip hair is simply "luxurious" as I like to call it myself , and it can compete , as I said , with more expensive brands when comparing badger hair is involved.

And the best thing is the price ( I got it on a trade ) , so I can totally recommend you one of these knots/handles (brushes) if :

-You are a newbie into wet shaving , don't have too much money to spend on a brush , but want a real quality silvertip.

-You just want a travel brush and dont like synthetics but badger hair.

-You simply want a good facelathering brush , looking for some luxurious feeling.

Larry (the owner of Whipped Dog )is truly doing a good job providing good items with right prices.Now its time to test one of its synthetic knots !

86 7,123
 12-11-2013, 10:04 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Great write up! I agree whole heartedly! I love my 22mx48mm WD Silvertip (set deep)!

Larry is very easy to work with.

[Image: MaggardMR1-WD_zpscf70c46c.jpg]

4 2,377
 12-11-2013, 10:22 AM
User Info
I have yet to try anything from WD yet but I have 2 synthetics on the way. I wondered how the rest of the knots were.

I want to add, that I did receive a 24mm synth last week, but there was an issue with the knot and it fitting into my handle.

Larry went above and beyond to resolve my issue, and as far as I am concerned has excellent customer service! He isn't just sending me a new knot, he is making it more than right.
I for certain will be ordering additional knots for upcoming restores.

Glad to hear the positive review on the silvertips!

31 1,800
 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I would completely agree with T's assessment of Whipped Dog's knots. I had a 30mm brush set at 55mm loft and if it wasn't so big it would still be in my possession. I plan on ordering a 24mm in the near future as I have settled in to that being the perfect size for me.

127 2,377
 12-11-2013, 01:30 PM
User Info
(12-11-2013, 09:54 AM)Teiste Wrote: -You just want a travel brush and dont like synthetics but badger hair.

Like taking a travel Omega 40033 and replacing the knot?? Who would do that?!?!?

[Image: img7534a.jpg]

[Image: img7538bs.jpg]

Rolleyes

Saludos Teiste!

0 42
 12-11-2013, 08:54 PM
User Info
Great write-up, Teiste! Enjoy the brush, mano! Biggrin

75 20,883