12-11-2013, 12:24 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Hello everyone! I am wondering if anyone could recommend an individual or company that does DLC coatings? I am thinking of getting one of my razors coated. I know of places that do it for watches, etc, and I have sent out a few email to companies, but I am wondering if anyone here has had any of this work done in the past and has an idea of pricing?

Thanks!

1 608
 12-11-2013, 12:50 PM
User Info
Luke, it is a very, very expensive process from what I have been told! Good luck and if you do find a place, please, let me know! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-11-2013, 12:54 PM
  • Doc
  • Paris
User Info
I can't help you but it's an interesting question.

1 205
 12-11-2013, 01:34 PM
User Info
On a couple of watch forums there are jewelry companies that will take a bare case that is pre-stripped by the owner and will DLC the case of $695. There have to be cheaper alternatives but this is what I found.

9 197
 12-11-2013, 02:31 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
 12-11-2013, 02:32 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
(12-11-2013, 01:34 PM)Ronnie Aloha Wrote: On a couple of watch forums there are jewelry companies that will take a bare case that is pre-stripped by the owner and will DLC the case of $695. There have to be cheaper alternatives but this is what I found.

I found a site InternationalWatchWorks.com that does it...but from what I saw it was in the $600+ range. Hopefully I'll hear back from the companies I emailed.

1 608
 12-11-2013, 04:29 PM
User Info
I have a couple that I was going to coat as well a FB and Slim pair...Actually the one you sold me Luke. I was planning on the Cerakote/Duracote option as its much more affordable and still a quality coating.

47 385
 12-11-2013, 04:47 PM
User Info
(12-11-2013, 04:29 PM)CJames Wrote: I have a couple that I was going to coat as well a FB and Slim pair...Actually the one you sold me Luke. I was planning on the Cerakote/Duracote option as its much more affordable and still a quality coating.

* James, good choice, but you do know that Cerakote is not the same thing as the DLC, right?

75 20,883
 12-11-2013, 04:59 PM
User Info
(12-11-2013, 04:47 PM)celestino Wrote:
(12-11-2013, 04:29 PM)CJames Wrote: I have a couple that I was going to coat as well a FB and Slim pair...Actually the one you sold me Luke. I was planning on the Cerakote/Duracote option as its much more affordable and still a quality coating.

* James, good choice, but you do know that Cerakote is not the same thing as the DLC, right?

Yes...Just can't afford the alternative Biggrin

47 385
 12-11-2013, 05:57 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wow $600 is a hell of a lot to invest !!!

Celestino has looked into alternatives and has a thread HERE that is worth reading prior to committing to anything...

91 17,846
 12-11-2013, 06:01 PM
  • Sanch
  • Tennessee
User Info
Just aluminum oxide blasted on of my razors to Duracoat it myself I will report back after the process and the first shave all details will be posted, razor type/name etc.etc.. I wanted a R89 jet but alas no dice!

2 253
 12-11-2013, 06:55 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Thanks for referencing that post Ben! I appreciate it. Indodnt know it existed and it is full of great information.

1 608
 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM
User Info
I have researched the DLC coatings myself... they aren't that costly but there are only a few guys that seem to do it.

As a reference point, Weber's razor had a DLC coated head, they were I believe $55 retail at the time. discounting the cost of the handle and the cost of sintering the head... you should get a ball-park as to what DLC coating costs.

3 315
 12-11-2013, 07:36 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
There is also another interesting discussion here on DLC.

Here is what I posted in that thread:

Quote:DLC or Diamond Like Coating is desirable because of its micro hardness AND more importantly for us shavers it's low coefficient of friction.

For the technically minded:

DLC coatings are formed when ionized and decomposed carbon or hydrocarbon species land on the surface of a substrate with energy typically 10-300eV. DLC films may possess exceptional mechanical (high hardness), optical (high optical band gap), electrical (high electrical resistivity), chemical (inert) and tribological (low friction and wear coefficient) properties and can be deposited at low substrate temperature (<200°C).

DLC films are generally amorphous (i.e have no dominant crystalline lattice structure) and consist of a mixture of sp2 (graphite) & sp3 (diamond) phases. Control of film properties is strongly dependent on the flux characteristics of the chosen deposition technique (PVD sputter or evaporation and Pa-CVD), metal and hydrogen content within the film, sp2:sp3 ratio, substrate bias voltage, ion energy and ion density as well as substrate temperature. DLC film friction coefficient against steel generally ranges from 0.05-0.20, whilst film hardness and sp3 content can be tailored for specific applications. Metal and hydrogen containing DLC (Me-DLC or a-C:H:Me) exhibit hardness in the range 500-2000HV with 35% sp3, metal free DLC (C-DLC or a-C:H) typically 1500-4000HV and up to 75% sp3 , whilst tetrahedral amorphous carbon (ta-C) can be 4000-9000HV with 80-85% sp3.

For those like me that prefer a pretty picture:

[Image: dNwKJNp.jpg]

In summary, DLC provides less drag or resistance than non coated steel.

Mathematically the hype is real, but for some the discernible difference is not noticeable. IMO DLC does make a difference. I've also noticed similar experiences with gold vs nickel and satin finish vs nickel.

91 17,846
 12-11-2013, 08:25 PM
User Info
Great info, Ben! Smile

(12-11-2013, 07:13 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: I have researched the DLC coatings myself... they aren't that costly but there are only a few guys that seem to do it.

As a reference point, Weber's razor had a DLC coated head, they were I believe $55 retail at the time. discounting the cost of the handle and the cost of sintering the head... you should get a ball-park as to what DLC coating costs.

* Joe, I don't think Ed ever sold the head separately from my understanding. You had to buy the complete razor, or am I mistaken as I am still a fledgling to this journey! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-12-2013, 05:35 PM
User Info
(12-11-2013, 08:25 PM)celestino Wrote: Great info, Ben! Smile

(12-11-2013, 07:13 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: I have researched the DLC coatings myself... they aren't that costly but there are only a few guys that seem to do it.

* Joe, I don't think Ed ever sold the head separately from my understanding. You had to buy the complete razor, or am I mistaken as I am still a fledgling to this journey! Biggrin

Exactly... take $55, minus 15% for Amazon fee. Then minus the cost of the handle and the cost of the head. You will see that DLC coatings aren't very costly in bulk, maybe a couple bucks.

The problem is getting a company that does it right... I believe they call it the vacuum process or something like that.

3 315
 12-12-2013, 08:17 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
I just heard back from the CEO of a company here in Canada, DLC-coating.ca. He said he'd get me pricing information soon.

1 608
 12-12-2013, 09:18 PM
User Info
* Joe, thanks! I understand what you mean, now.

* Luke, let us know what arises. I definitely would be interested in getting a few razors done! Biggrin

75 20,883
 01-15-2014, 05:04 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
(12-12-2013, 08:17 PM)Lradke Wrote: I just heard back from the CEO of a company here in Canada, DLC-coating.ca. He said he'd get me pricing information soon.

I HAVE AN UPDATE!

I heard back from the CEO of the above company again.. Instead of typing it all out, here's the highlights from the email:

Dear Luke,
Last time, when I replied to your request, I didn't estimate that the market of shaving parts is so fashionable.
I researched razors from different suppliers and understood, how it's important for people.
If you still interested in the DLC coating for your razor I'm ready to quote this job.
The link you provided for your model doesn't work.
The DLC coating itself for this type(classic safety razors) of tolls cost $45-80 depending on size, metal and number of parts.

For the best results:
a. Surfaces need to be free of burrs, grind burns, scale and rust oxide.
b. Grinding lines on all primary surfaces and relief angles should be faint or absent.
c. The smoother the finish the better the results will be on longivity and finish
d. Do not: apply over other coatings (TiN,TiCN,TiAlN, CrN etc). Hard chrome is acceptable.
e. Prices do not: include shipping costs and custom duties.
f.. Prices do not include: stripping from previous coating.

That's pretty much it. I replied with some last questions...and asked if he only works with the black shiny finish. (I would like matt, but the shiny looks decent too)

Anyway, I thought you'd all be interested!

Cheers!

1 608
 01-15-2014, 06:35 PM
User Info
Luke, thanks for the update.
If you get it done, I would love to get the gentleman's information. Any idea if he would provide a discount for multiple razors?

75 20,883