12-11-2013, 10:27 PM
User Info
On this date in 1620, supposedly, 102 pilgrims on the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock, now in Massachusetts, beginning a big chapter in our history. This mirror was brought on the Mayflower by James Chilton.

And an interesting tidbit is that some descendants of the Mayflower pilgrims, when searching old graveyards for evidence of the burial of ancestors, take along a can of shaving cream to spray on tombstones, because it makes the writing more legible.

178 11,976
 12-11-2013, 10:29 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very interesting bit of history, John.

102 17,574
 12-11-2013, 10:30 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
I never knew that event would have any significance to LE or my family, but it turns out my wife has an ancestor that crossed on the mayflower. I am excited to learn more so we can teach our kids about it.

1 608
 12-11-2013, 11:07 PM
User Info
I had no idea that they landed just before the onset of winter. What terrible timing.

At that time my ancestors were starving every winter under the hand of some sort of european "lord" or some such. When they got the chance to come here for a better life they did.

I can't imagine being either on the Mayflower and arriving right before winter in New England or leaving ones homeland and arriving to something completely foreign to start over where one doesn't even know the language. Lots of folks did it though. That speaks volumes about how bad things had to be for them to leave their family, their country, everything they knew and completely reshuffle the deck.

Interesting about the mirror and the bit about shave cream.

32 6,301
 12-11-2013, 11:56 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
The really interesting fact about the Pilgrims is that they were not escaping persecution, but relocating because they were so intolerant of other religions. They wanted the freedom TO persecute Smile

0 1,591
 12-12-2013, 08:46 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
John you always provide these wonderful nuggets of history. Thank You.

Beautiful mirror too.

14 1,177
 12-12-2013, 11:08 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Great story, John. I remember, as an eleven or twelve year old, being disappointed when I saw Plymouth Rock because A) it was much smaller than I had anticipated and B) because there is (or was back then) a protective cage around it and I wouldn't get to stand on it. Tongue

2 11,211