12-12-2013, 03:30 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
... any compelling reason NOT to use an Extra Fine DMT diamond stone for bevel setting?

I was struggling to get a section of bevel set properly. It was one of my test razors. Repeated sessions on the 1000 just would get a proper bevel set and this one section of the transition was not crisp. I did ten x-strokes on the 6x2 EF DMT and BAM! The bevel set immediately.

The EF DMT is supposed to be a 1200 stone. Now, unless the DMT stated grit isinaccurate or something, it's counter intuitive that the 1200 should set the bevel faster than the 1000.

What am I missing? When it comes to how appropriate a stone is for honing, the answer is typically.. Try it. So is there a compelling reason NOT to use the DMT as a bevel setter?

33 914
 12-12-2013, 04:08 AM
User Info
I've never used a DMT to set a bevel Michael but as I always use tape on the spine I'm just wondering what affect a DMT plate would have on the tape? and would you be able to complete the same smooth strokes while using the DMT? but when I need to deal with a difficult razor with a lot of work you can always drop down to a Naniwa 400 or 800 stone, but on saying that I have read of many honers using a fine DMT to set the bevel.

5 1,810
 12-12-2013, 04:45 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Mike,
I am yet to be disappointed with the Chosera 1K for either repairing dinged blades or setting bevels.

132 2,614
 12-12-2013, 01:59 PM
User Info
DMTs are incredibly fast cutters. They slow down over time with use, but you'll find that they take a tiny fraction of the time to do the same work as a synthetic stone.

14 229
 12-12-2013, 02:36 PM
User Info
No reason not to if it's needed. It removes material quickly. Don't just look at grit size. Grit size by itself isn't the whole story. A 1000 grit Arkansas will never remove what a 1200 DMT will remove. The grit is rounded on the Arkansas where it is not on a diamond hone. A Naniwa has a softness to it that a DMT Plate doesn't have. Don't get too hung up on grit size Biggrin

Use whatever it takes to get the bevel set as perfectly as you can and the rest becomes much easier.

6 1,224
 12-12-2013, 03:37 PM
User Info
It cuts faster than some stones, slower than others; but it certainly works.

9 2,988
 12-12-2013, 08:51 PM
User Info
(12-12-2013, 04:08 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I've never used a DMT to set a bevel Michael but as I always use tape on the spine I'm just wondering what affect a DMT plate would have on the tape? and would you be able to complete the same smooth strokes while using the DMT? but when I need to deal with a difficult razor with a lot of work you can always drop down to a Naniwa 400 or 800 stone, but on saying that I have read of many honers using a fine DMT to set the bevel.
The DMT won't affect tape at all. I use them all the time. And as others said they do soften over time but they're dead on flat all the time, Cut fast and off you go. I grab the Smiths which are cheaper and do the job just fine.You're only setting a bevel.
AS they get smoother it's just another level of honing you can do.But for some reason ,, even as they wear, they still cut great.
From there I go to 1K and just work up. And now I'm using between the 4K and 8K some 3Um paper. Just eases the transition.

0 772
 12-12-2013, 11:04 PM
User Info
Thanks Mycarver nice to know the DMT plate will work with the tape in the same way as a whetstone.

5 1,810
 12-13-2013, 04:44 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(12-12-2013, 04:08 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I've never used a DMT to set a bevel Michael but as I always use tape on the spine I'm just wondering what affect a DMT plate would have on the tape? and would you be able to complete the same smooth strokes while using the DMT? but when I need to deal with a difficult razor with a lot of work you can always drop down to a Naniwa 400 or 800 stone, but on saying that I have read of many honers using a fine DMT to set the bevel.

Thank you Jamie.. I've used the DMT on two occasions, this last razor (A Shumate) and on a DePews. DePews are incredibly hard steel and I couldn't make any progress on a small chip. Yet, just like with the Shumate, the DMT did fast work. I don't see the tape being an issue any way. The DMT didn't get gunked up, nor did the tape wear any faster than on the 1K. I have made it a habit to change the tape often while on the lower grits, as well as when I move between stones which for me, are typically the 1K, Coticule and Zulu Grey.

(12-12-2013, 04:45 AM)Obie Wrote: Mike,
I am yet to be disappointed with the Chosera 1K for either repairing dinged blades or setting bevels.

Obie, I'll agree that your edges don't disappoint! And, I have sent you a few challenging ones for sure. I have had thoughts of adding a Chosera 1k, to replace the King 1k. My primary reason is because the Chosera doesn't need to be soaked. Nor does the DMT.

(12-12-2013, 01:59 PM)explodyii Wrote: DMTs are incredibly fast cutters. They slow down over time with use, but you'll find that they take a tiny fraction of the time to do the same work as a synthetic stone.

I've come to the conclusion that in my honing process, there is a place for all as needed. It's one more arrow in the quiver. I've also recognized that the DMT is a bad-ass arrow saved for the most gnarly of opponents. It takes off so much steel, so quickly, that it's like killing a gnat with an army tank.

(12-12-2013, 02:36 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: No reason not to if it's needed. It removes material quickly. Don't just look at grit size. Grit size by itself isn't the whole story. A 1000 grit Arkansas will never remove what a 1200 DMT will remove. The grit is rounded on the Arkansas where it is not on a diamond hone. A Naniwa has a softness to it that a DMT Plate doesn't have. Don't get too hung up on grit size Biggrin

Use whatever it takes to get the bevel set as perfectly as you can and the rest becomes much easier.

I believe my philosophy is now use whatever is the least aggressive steps it takes to get the bevel set. It would be easy to jump right to the DMT. Easy isn't always right, though sometimes it's necessary.

(12-12-2013, 08:51 PM)mycarver Wrote: The DMT won't affect tape at all. I use them all the time. And as others said they do soften over time but they're dead on flat all the time, Cut fast and off you go. I grab the Smiths which are cheaper and do the job just fine.You're only setting a bevel.
AS they get smoother it's just another level of honing you can do.But for some reason ,, even as they wear, they still cut great.
From there I go to 1K and just work up. And now I'm using between the 4K and 8K some 3Um paper. Just eases the transition.

I was surprised at the amount of steel the DMT removed, yet the limited scratches it left to be removed by the next stone, the 1K.

The fact that they remain dead flat, and in the case of my 6x2, fit in the palm of my hand, are both bonuses for me. Smith's..I'll look at them. I wouldn't mind an Extra Extra Fine DMT.

(12-12-2013, 08:51 PM)mycarver Wrote: .....You're only setting a bevel.

A6

Only setting a bevel? You said 'ONLY' setting the bevel?? LOL.. That's 90% of the honing process!! That's like like saying Michelle Pfeiffer is ONLY a pretty face.. LOL!!

Thanks everyone.. I appreciate your responses!!

33 914
 12-13-2013, 12:03 PM
User Info
Yes, you're right. I was using the word only in respect to the finish it leaves. If it's a bit scratchy the next stone or DMT will take them out. But the surprising thing is they get you there quickly and the finish is quite nice.
The other part of Only was I was thinking of some guys that if you don't use a stone taken from the north face of Mt. Fiji ,wetted with the tears of virgins to set a bevel the razor will never shave at all. Regardless how many other stones follow it up.
Get the metal out of the way and find that angle then refine it.

0 772
 12-13-2013, 01:11 PM
User Info
(12-13-2013, 12:03 PM)mycarver Wrote: Yes, you're right. I was using the word only in respect to the finish it leaves. If it's a bit scratchy the next stone or DMT will take them out. But the surprising thing is they get you there quickly and the finish is quite nice.
The other part of Only was I was thinking of some guys that if you don't use a stone taken from the north face of Mt. Fiji ,wetted with the tears of virgins to set a bevel the razor will never shave at all. Regardless how many other stones follow it up.
Get the metal out of the way and find that angle then refine it.

That about sums up my feelings too Smile

6 1,224
 12-14-2013, 04:58 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Ah, I see... and agree.

Thanks!

33 914