12-12-2013, 11:38 AM
User Info
I've been noticing it for some time. No doubt this effect was there for me for quite some time, but I hadn't noticed it until recently. It still has me stumped as to why however.

I can use a pre-'12 gillette made aggressive by a shim or 2 and it'll tear my face up. OK, that's an exaggeration, but I always get at least a few weepers in rough sections of skin.

I can pick up a Muhle '11 R41 and no weepers. Or I can use ANY SE razor in the cabinet and no weepers. But pick up a milder razor with a shim or 2 and it never fails.

Maybe my technique? I know it's a non-aggressive razor, so I relax and do things I shouldn't? That's all I can think of. It's the only thing that makes sense to me but I can't catch myself doing it. I have been busier than a one armed paper hanger lately, so maybe it's that I'mm allowing my mind to wander since it's a less aggressive razor.

Other than that, there is the more flexible DE blade, but that doesn't explain why I can shave with no blood with the '11 R41. Heck, it's the very same blade taken out of the Gillette and put into the Muhle.

Can you suggest anything else that I may not be seeing?

I have one obvious suggestion for me, and it would be painless... remove the vintage Gillettes from the cabinet. I could do that very easily since I don't use them very often.

32 6,309
 12-12-2013, 01:44 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You kind of answered your own question Brian. With the Gillettes your kind of too relaxed and probably rushing through your passes. With the R41 strict attention is necessary at all times. The same with the single edge razors plus at this stage you are very used to the more aggressive razors. The Gillettes were good in their time but razors have evolved over the years so I say retire the Gillettes an move on.

100 12,440
 12-12-2013, 01:51 PM
User Info
(12-12-2013, 01:44 PM)slantman Wrote: You kind of answered your own question Brian. With the Gillettes your kind of too relaxed and probably rushing through your passes. With the R41 strict attention is necessary at all times. The same with the single edge razors plus at this stage you are very used to the more aggressive razors. The Gillettes were good in their time but razors have evolved over the years so I say retire the Gillettes an move on.

+1 Great advice from Jerry!
Also, why don't you pay more attention to it while you are using it? Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-12-2013, 02:16 PM
User Info
Once I mastered an SE shave I only sometimes visited my DE's... That is until I tried the '11 R41, my present daily razor. When I go back to milder razors I often find myself working hard to resist the temptation to get as close as I can with the SE's and the R41. If I try to match my SEs or R41 I not only fail, but irritation or weepers likely follow.

You have mastered the '11 R41 and SE's. So you know how to guide the blade and unleash the blade do its job. Congratulations!

If you keep your milder razors around for nostalgia and variety like I do, try going for a mild DFS with them. You will get your BBS from time to time and remember the days when a daily BBS wasn't guaranteed. However, if you can't resist the temptation to push it too far... you're better off putting them away. :-)

3 285
 12-12-2013, 02:43 PM
User Info
All I can tell you Brian, is that if I use a DE with as quick of strokes as I use most SE razors the DE will chatter across my face. Blade flex is my only answer. But my Fatip or Progress with the really rounded blade are the closest to SE for me. Yet the R41 works well for me but I have to slow down the strokes a good bit.

Biggrin I ain't got the answers Exclamation

6 1,224
 12-12-2013, 03:18 PM
User Info
Using shims can be iffy esp cut down DE blades. They do not support the blade well and can cause rippling of the edge for me at least

2 697
 12-12-2013, 08:17 PM
User Info
Thanks gents!

Yes, I'm considering putting the Gillettes away. I can't abide them w/o shims, and well, you know the story with shims.

That will leave the '11 & '13 R41s in the cabinet for DE razors. Not that that would be hard to take.

I need to think about this decision before I do it. I'm in no hurry.

32 6,309
 12-12-2013, 09:51 PM
User Info
Brian, you know I only use my Weber DLC, really! One razor! Blush

Those R41's will be more than enough DEs for you, my friend! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-12-2013, 11:06 PM
User Info
(12-12-2013, 09:51 PM)celestino Wrote: Brian, you know I only use my Weber DLC, really! One razor! Blush

Those R41's will be more than enough DEs for you, my friend! Biggrin

Yes, I know, but I like the history of the really old Gillettes too. Same as I feel for the old SE razors. The "I wonder what this razor could say if it could talk?", factor. The Muhles don't have that. They talk to me and all I hear is my own voice. Sort of boring since I've already heard it all.

I have time to figure it out or make the decision to mothball them, and if I don't have the time then it's all meaningless anyway. Smile In the meantime it's a problem to solve one way or the other. I thought I was over everything that could happen in shaving.

32 6,309