12-12-2013, 03:57 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I received a Chanukah gift from Phil (PhilNH5) and his wife, Mary Lou. It arrived this afternoon after traveling from Japan.

I have been wanting a full bottle of Pilot's Iroshizuku ink for the longest time and, thanks to them, I now have one. Just the bottle alone is stunning and is in a class by itself. Then there is the color they chose for me, Yama-Budo (what the Goulet Pen Company is translating as Crimson Glory Vine). It is a magenta that I probably would not have ordered for myself but that truly would have been my loss because the color is striking and I love it. Unfortunately, my awful snapshots do not do this ink color justice. The flow is just wet enough to help make the nib glide across the paper.

I cannot thank Mary Lou and Phil enough for this wonderful gift. Smile

[Image: gAKUiiZ.jpg] [Image: LVMhJIP.jpg]

[Image: Vxw7BeS.jpg] [Image: YNk9Qaf.jpg]

2 11,211
 12-12-2013, 04:09 PM
User Info
great color but even better handwriting!

7 1,625
 12-12-2013, 04:20 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Thank you Marius.

2 11,211
 12-12-2013, 05:40 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Freddy, do you like this brand of ink?

173 23,488
 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM
User Info
Great penmanship and ink!

9 197
 12-12-2013, 06:04 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
What an excellent gift Freddy. The color is striking on that paper. Congratulations.

14 1,177
 12-12-2013, 06:08 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(12-12-2013, 05:40 PM)Johnny Wrote: Freddy, do you like this brand of ink?

Yes, I do, Johhny. I have had a couple of samples from the Goulet Pen Company but always held off on a full bottle because its price can be steep. However, it is a smooth flowing and well saturated ink. Even the bottle is designed for easy filling of a pen. Quality all the way around.

2 11,211
 12-12-2013, 06:28 PM
User Info
Fantastic penmanship, Freddy! Wow!
Great of Phil to do that and congratulations! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-12-2013, 06:42 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Thanks, guys. Smile

2 11,211
 12-12-2013, 08:05 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Congratulations on the wonderful gift Freddy! That is a wonderful color! It looks like a nice shade of purple from my phone.

I hope you enjoy it! Smile

And just curious, what colour(s) would you pick for yourself?

1 608
 12-12-2013, 08:53 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(12-12-2013, 08:05 PM)Lradke Wrote: Congratulations on the wonderful gift Freddy! That is a wonderful color! It looks like a nice shade of purple from my phone.

I hope you enjoy it! Smile

And just curious, what colour(s) would you pick for yourself?

Honestly, Luke, I have so many different colors now that I don't know what I would pick. This magenta is one that I didn't have in my arsenal, though.

I have bottles of ink ranging from browns, to purples, to pinks, to greens, to oranges, to reds, to blues, to grays, and to blacks so I pretty much run the gamut when it comes to colors. However, this magenta is completely new to my collection.

The nice thing about having so many colors is that when it's time to switch out an ink color in one of my pens, I'll look and think, "Oh, I forgot I had that!" so it's like buying a new bottle all over again. Biggrin

This Iroshizuku Yama-Budo is already a winner for me. It has great flow and the pen and ink started right up for me when I just picked it up after leaving the capped pen nib up for several hours. No start up issues at all.

2 11,211
 12-13-2013, 05:54 AM
User Info
(12-12-2013, 03:57 PM)freddy Wrote: I received a Chanukah gift from Phil (PhilNH5) and his wife, Mary Lou. It arrived this afternoon after traveling from Japan.

I have been wanting a full bottle of Pilot's Iroshizuku ink for the longest time and, thanks to them, I now have one. Just the bottle alone is stunning and is in a class by itself. Then there is the color they chose for me, Yama-Budo (what the Goulet Pen Company is translating as Crimson Glory Vine). It is a magenta that I probably would not have ordered for myself but that truly would have been my loss because the color is striking and I love it. Unfortunately, my awful snapshots do not do this ink color justice. The flow is just wet enough to help make the nib glide across the paper.

I cannot thank Mary Lou and Phil enough for this wonderful gift. Smile

Freddy,
Glad the ink arrived and that you enjoy it. Thanks for the review. And as always - your penmanship astounds me.

"Just the bottle alone is stunning"
ML agrees. She liked the bottle so much she removed the labels so she could see the bottle completely. I read somewhere that they are hand blown.

The pic of ML's bottle sans label shows the molded in depression that will allow for ease of filling once the ink level is low.
[Image: 8OkBmHC.jpg]

The ink is Kon-Peki and is one of ML's favorite colors and ink. I inked a pen with it for the first time on Monday and was impressed. I put it in a Visconti Michelangelo which writes very broad although the nib is a fine. Other inks stay wet and cause this leftie troubles. No problems with the Kon-Peki.

"(what the Goulet Pen Company is translating as Crimson Glory Vine)."

Interesting translation. We purchased on Amazon from a Japanese seller. He described it as "Yama Budo Wild Grapes (Bordeaux)"

Wine names sound so sophisticated when used for inksSmile

Happy Chanukah!
Phil

7 363
 12-13-2013, 07:08 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
I just took a look at the inks on Goulet Pens. I have to say I am a fan of the Sunset color.

1 608
 12-13-2013, 10:58 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(12-13-2013, 07:08 AM)Lradke Wrote: I just took a look at the inks on Goulet Pens. I have to say I am a fan of the Sunset color.

That Sunset does look beautiful, Luke. I have Noodler's Apache Sunset which shades beautifully in a stub nibbed pen. I don't know how the Iroshizuku Sunset compares with the Noodler's Apache Sunset. I believe I have a sample of the former somewhere and I should compare it to the latter.

2 11,211
 12-13-2013, 12:26 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You will find out soon enough.Biggrin

At what temp does ink freeze?

173 23,488
 12-13-2013, 12:43 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(12-13-2013, 12:26 PM)Johnny Wrote: You will find out soon enough.Biggrin

At what temp does ink freeze?

I would assume the same as water since ink is mostly water.

2 11,211
 12-13-2013, 05:11 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
That ink is beautiful, and a nice Estie, Freddy. I'm a big fan of the iroshizuku inks, with the deep rich blue of Asa Gao being my personal favorite.

0 1,136
 12-13-2013, 05:23 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(12-13-2013, 05:11 PM)Elendil Wrote: That ink is beautiful, and a nice Estie, Freddy. I'm a big fan of the iroshizuku inks, with the deep rich blue of Asa Gao being my personal favorite.

I am a big fan of Esterbrooks and have quite a few.

2 11,211
 12-14-2013, 08:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
For the few pens I have left in my arsenal I have two inks, a bottle of Waterman Florida Blue and blue Pilot Ink cartridges for the Pilot pens that take them.

I too liked the Pilot Iroshizuku Inks as well as the line of Herbin Inks.

173 23,488
 12-14-2013, 11:16 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Johnny, I didn't think Waterman was making Florida Blue anymore, or have they just started calling it something else?

J. Herbin is a great line of inks and I particularly like their Rouille d' Ancre. It is sort of a brownish pink and when it dries on an ecru colored paper it looks terrific.

The only thing I find frustrating about the J. Herbin inks is the bottle they come in. Unlike the beautiful and practical Pilot Iroshizuku bottles, the J. Herbin bottles are attractive but not deep enough. After a few pen fills, the ink in the bottle drops too low for the pen to fill properly. I have managed to finally get around that by using one of the TWSBI ink wells. They look great and have a clever design making it easy to get to all of the ink.

In the photo below, you can clearly see the problem with the J. Herbin bottle design as it becomes impossible to completely cover the feed for a proper fill of the pen after a few fills. Unlike the Waterman bottles with their angled sides, there is no safe way to tilt a J. Herbin bottle to add volume for filling a pen.

[Image: QdC4b5h.jpg]

2 11,211