12-13-2013, 12:11 AM
User Info
Today I was using some Arko Cool Mint shave cream, which makes a pretty decent lather but is - in my opinion - somewhat lacking in the mentholated kick department. Acting on an impulse I added a couple drops of Dr Bronners liquid peppermint soap as I was building my lather...

The result was a thicker lather than usual, with a distinct and pleasant menthol-peppermint kick to it - a definite improvement both on the face-feel and the cushioning. I suspect I'll do it again the next time I use the Arko cream, and possible to some of my other creams too.

3 3,557
 12-13-2013, 01:13 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Hans, I get a rather detergent vibe from liquid hand soaps, did you find it drying on your skin or highly foamy as opposed to creamy?

91 17,801
 12-13-2013, 04:08 AM
User Info
The only real change was to the thickness and cushion of the lather, not to how dry my skin felt after... then again, Dr Bronners is not your average liquid soap Smile

3 3,557
 12-13-2013, 05:09 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks Hans, I might need to look into this Dr Bronners, not to mix for an uber lather, but strictly for use on my hands...

91 17,801
 12-13-2013, 06:06 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Wow! Thanks Hans. I'm always looking to experiment and improve but I would have never thought of that.

5 2,006
 12-13-2013, 08:57 AM
User Info
(12-13-2013, 05:09 AM)ben74 Wrote: Thanks Hans, I might need to look into this Dr Bronners, not to mix for an uber lather, but strictly for use on my hands...

* Ben, Dr. Bronner's might just be the best liquid soap that I have ever tried. I have been using it for over 25 years and it is incredible; no drying, whatsoever. You may want to try the Rose scented one as it is wonderful! Biggrin

* Hans, that Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap has a great kick to it. I use it in the summer and it really cools you down!! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-13-2013, 09:00 AM
User Info
Dr. Bronner's will dry out the hands tremendously if you do not dilute it with water. It is intended to be diluted.

If you dilute it properly it doesn't dry the skin at all. It's an outstanding product at a reasonable price. Since it is diluted before use, the large bottle lasts for a long, long time.

I've never added it to my shave lather before, but it's a great hand soap. There are no detergents in it at all.

1 1,102
 12-13-2013, 01:48 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I've only used the Dr. Bronner bar soap, but I had a similar experience. A nicely mild soap made with natural ingredients, and real soap. Mostly olive-oil, too, which is a very nicely conditioning soap.

10 1,858
 12-14-2013, 08:07 AM
User Info
I wouldn't try it with any other soap, but that is mostly because there are two different kinds of soap in my den these days: Dr Bronner's and Mike's. Shame Mike don't do liquid soaps...

3 3,557
 12-20-2013, 06:27 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(12-13-2013, 12:11 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Today I was using some Arko Cool Mint shave cream, which makes a pretty decent lather but is - in my opinion - somewhat lacking in the mentholated kick department. Acting on an impulse I added a couple drops of Dr Bronners liquid peppermint soap as I was building my lather...

The result was a thicker lather than usual, with a distinct and pleasant menthol-peppermint kick to it - a definite improvement both on the face-feel and the cushioning. I suspect I'll do it again the next time I use the Arko cream, and possible to some of my other creams too.

Hans, strangely enough I find the Arko Ice Mint cream to be very cooling. I'd even say it compares to Proraso Green.

3 2,562
 12-25-2013, 04:05 AM
User Info
I have some lemon hand soap, but I don't think it would mix well with my most recent set up scent of pipe tobacco. What I have been doing though is I'll get a nice base from the soap and once I do I drop in a small bit of godrej menthol mist and it makes for a super thick lather. The small menthol gives it a little kick, and doesn't overpower the rich pipe tobacco scent.

4 309