• Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Now after seeing that I am thinking to finally move from FM3a to this:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-df

11 861
 12-14-2013, 09:05 AM
User Info
I know, I've been drooling over that baby. I'd dump my D300s and D700 for it.

129 6,685
 12-14-2013, 09:05 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
It is an attractive camera ... with it's retro styled exterior, and modern digital full-frame underpinnings.

I'm no camera expert, but would offer that the price on this camera is somewhat steep, compared to its non-retro styled counterparts ie other comparably equipped Nikon full frame digital models.

102 17,670
 12-14-2013, 09:10 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
It is because of built quality too. But yes I agree, they expect you to pay extra for full retro set up. It is still cheaper then buying Leica M9 or up with lens which I would prefer if I could. So in matters of choosing this camera creates a good option for people who cannot afford Leica.

I dont use much Digital cameras because of all this buttons and how long it takes to set up everything on manual. I hate let camera decide for me. Therefore I do like Nikon finally gave an option to easy control Digital camera for people who like to order camera not opposite.

11 861
 12-14-2013, 09:13 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Good point ... any of the higher end Nikon models are a bargain compared to Leica's offerings. Leica cameras are in another league ... <drool> ... Exclamation

102 17,670
 12-14-2013, 09:15 AM
User Info
(12-14-2013, 09:05 AM)Agravic Wrote: It is an attractive camera ... with it's retro styled exterior, and modern digital full-frame underpinnings.

I'm no camera expert, but would offer that the price on this camera is somewhat steep, compared to its non-retro styled counterparts ie other comparably equipped Nikon full frame digital models.

Only two cameras in Nikon's extensive lineup use this insanely wonderful sensor. This camera and the $5995.00 D4. This sensor is the low light champ across all camera brands bar none.

Besides, I love the idea of actual knobs again as opposed to thumb wheels and buttons. My Nikon D700 which while still a wonderful Full Frame camera is getting quite long in the tooth. Ones in excellent condition still sell for $1500-$1900.

Please note, I will probably never own the Df. Not due to cost or design, but I just don't do much work anymore and cannot justify upgrading my lineup. I may downgrade to a mirrorless camera at some point in time though.

129 6,685
 12-14-2013, 03:25 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
My goodness. I've been living under a rock... That is an amazing camera! If I could afford it I would consider getting it. I too love how they went back to a retro design. That would be more ideal for me as it was what I learned on (a very retro camera). Thanks for sharing this!

1 608
 12-14-2013, 04:41 PM
User Info
Wow! Look at that beautiful thing!
Would love to try it on some photos for a few weeks!
I just love the retro look with actually knobs as Doug mentioned! I can't bear the wheels and buttons on my D7000.
The silver/grey model looks fantastic! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-19-2013, 12:24 PM
User Info
Beautiful piece of retro Art, way beyond my price range though, I am going to sell my Nikon D80 with a 18-55 VR lens and upgrade in the new year, so I won't be posting photo's for a while as I've already packed the camera ready to put it on the market while it's in perfect condition.

5 1,809
 12-19-2013, 08:35 PM
User Info
(12-19-2013, 12:24 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Beautiful piece of retro Art, way beyond my price range though, I am going to sell my Nikon D80 with a 18-55 VR lens and upgrade in the new year, so I won't be posting photo's for a while as I've already packed the camera ready to put it on the market while it's in perfect condition.

* Jamie, it will be sad not seeing your beautiful pics for a while, my friend!

75 20,883
 12-19-2013, 09:35 PM
User Info
Hopefully Celestino sometime in the new year, you say you have the D7000? that's one of the contenders I'm looking at, I'm seriously slow when it comes to buying any new tec can't help myself drives my Mrs up the wall.

5 1,809
 12-26-2013, 11:12 AM
User Info
I have managed to hold one of these and take some sample shots from it at Calumet Photo.

Here are my personal thoughts. It is simply stunning to look at, both the "professional" all black model as well as the chrome and black model. The size is a nice reduction, I am surprised how much smaller and lighter this is than other FF cameras I have held.

I've also come to the conclusion that this camera is not for me. One of the reasons I bought a D700 over any other Nikon FF camera is the fact it exactly mimics my D300s. Buttons and command dials are in the exact same spot and do the exact same thing. It's all done by reflex when shooting. The Df throws all of that away, and to keep the retro look, you have to manually make the adjustments from the top just like in the film days. While I miss the old knobs and dials, I must say the newer button placement and command / sub-command dials are simply much easier to use and adjust on the fly.

Like it or not, sometimes modernizing things makes for a simpler and easier solution.

129 6,685
 12-26-2013, 01:13 PM
User Info
(12-19-2013, 09:35 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Hopefully Celestino sometime in the new year, you say you have the D7000? that's one of the contenders I'm looking at, I'm seriously slow when it comes to buying any new tec can't help myself drives my Mrs up the wall.

* Jamie, yes, I do have the D7000 that I picked up used on Craigslist. I find it to be an amazing camera and I mainly shoot with an older Nikkor 50mm f1.8 manual lens.

(12-26-2013, 11:12 AM)wingdo Wrote: I have managed to hold one of these and take some sample shots from it at Calumet Photo.

Here are my personal thoughts. It is simply stunning to look at, both the "professional" all black model as well as the chrome and black model. The size is a nice reduction, I am surprised how much smaller and lighter this is than other FF cameras I have held.

I've also come to the conclusion that this camera is not for me. One of the reasons I bought a D700 over any other Nikon FF camera is the fact it exactly mimics my D300s. Buttons and command dials are in the exact same spot and do the exact same thing. It's all done by reflex when shooting. The Df throws all of that away, and to keep the retro look, you have to manually make the adjustments from the top just like in the film days. While I miss the old knobs and dials, I must say the newer button placement and command / sub-command dials are simply much easier to use and adjust on the fly.

Like it or not, sometimes modernizing things makes for a simpler and easier solution.

* Doug, I would love to give this camera a try regardless of the knob and buttons! I am never in a hurry when shooting! Biggrin

75 20,883
 01-02-2014, 08:14 PM
User Info
While I love my D90, this is a truly beautiful machine. Full frame sensor in a classic body, I can't imagine being happier. I honestly think it would attract less attention when shooting in public, especially street scenes. I think the price is justified but it would kill my shaving purchases for a year and there are so many brushes that need a good home. One day, one day... ok replace day with year(s)... Sad

17 141
 01-02-2014, 10:18 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I really like this camera in concept, since my cameras are all old manual-exposure/manual-focus film cameras. The buttons and menus are foreign to me, so dials would make for an easier transition.

Where I still have a problem is the fact that I am left-eyed and wear glasses. The buttons grouped on the upper right of every auto-focus 35mm SLR and every DSLR are right where my right eyeglass lens would be pressed against the back of my right thumb. For this reason, I'm looking more towards something like a Fuji XPro1 or XE-2.

- Murray

4 1,150
 01-03-2014, 03:21 PM
User Info
(01-02-2014, 10:18 PM)CMur12 Wrote: I really like this camera in concept, since my cameras are all old manual-exposure/manual-focus film cameras. The buttons and menus are foreign to me, so dials would make for an easier transition.

Where I still have a problem is the fact that I am left-eyed and wear glasses. The buttons grouped on the upper right of every auto-focus 35mm SLR and every DSLR are right where my right eyeglass lens would be pressed against the back of my right thumb. For this reason, I'm looking more towards something like a Fuji XPro1 or XE-2.

- Murray

I was given the opportunity to use the Fuji X-E1 and all i can say is WOW ! The Jpegs straight from the camera are a treat. And it felt more like a rangefinder in use. The eye relief distance was pretty good too. But it's not the least expensive option though.

6 1,224
 01-03-2014, 03:47 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Thanks for the feedback, Eric. I haven't had the opportunity to handle one of these Fujis yet, myself, but the "rangefinder" format might work better for me. I've read a lot of good things about these cameras and I'm hoping that they will eventually offer more telephoto primes equivalent to the 100 - 135mm range (35mm equivalent).

- Murray

4 1,150