12-14-2013, 09:02 AM
User Info
I have to confess something to you all. I believe that I am becoming a shoe snob. I am not confessing to get comfort though, because both my feet & I are loving this. However, being that this is a great group of diverse people I am hoping to find some other like minded shoe snobs.

[Image: 6J7Gqc2.jpg]

This picture is of my 3 most recent shoe acquisitions & I would like to share more information on these with you. The first purchase was the black dress shoes (Josef Seibel) about a month ago which then fueled my purchases yesterday of the brown casual shoes (Olukai) and then the Onitsuka Tiger sneakers.

About a month ago I was wanting a nice pair of dress shoes to wear both at work & to church. I am on my feet all day long so a comfortable shoe is a must. I found David Parker of David Parker Shoes to help me out (he also got my wife sorted too). After sizing me and hearing my desires out of a shoe he professionally fit me (with my orthotics in mind) into these Josef Seibel 'Douglas' Derby shoes. This is by far the most comfortable dress shoe I have ever worn. I have them laced via the "Bow Tie" method found here; http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/bowtielacing.htm.

[Image: TqLZW5l.jpg]

[Image: fEoUti2.jpg]

[Image: DQlQ57J.jpg]

With how well my purchase of the Seibel shoes went I decided to visit David Parker again yesterday; this time seeking a casual shoe to wear with jeans. I originally intended to pick up some Sperry's but found that I didn't like the fit & feel. The next recommendation was for the Olukai Maloa. Wow, what a comfortable shoe and great design. I feel like I'm wearing house shoes yet they look amazing. I liked these so much that I wore them out of the store. They kept my feet relaxed and energized through a long day of walking the shops. A clever design aspect of this shoe is that the back is made so that it can fold down allowing you to wear it "backless". I typically don't like "backless" shoes but I'm sure that I'll give it a go at some point.

[Image: qqO1R79.jpg]

[Image: WiZ2Fe0.jpg]

[Image: wcddHni.jpg]

[Image: P9t12zt.jpg]

My second purchase yesterday to round out my trio as I enter Shoe Snob status was a pair of Onitsuka Tigers. I have had my eye on this Mexico 66 style for quite some time now. They are made by Asics, introduced in 1966, & worn at the Olympic Games in Mexico 1968. I love this style as a more sporty option to the Olukais. When I saw that they were on sale and I was also needing a shoe to wear at my '80s themed Sunday School Christmas party tonight, it became a must buy. I haven't worn them much yet but this is a very simple shoe; sleek and flexible with great lines. I look forward to sporting them tonight as they will be the only part of my outfit tonight that will ever be worn again (don't worry, there will be pictures of my shame shared later Biggrin). I laced these via the "Double Helix" method mirror imaging each other. That lacing method can be found here; http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/doublehelixlacing.htm.

[Image: fainTGe.jpg]

[Image: C1IuG7K.jpg]

[Image: bUPK2VQ.jpg]

[Image: Fx1asrT.jpg]

I look forward to seeing what keeps you upright and comfortable too. Bring on the shoe show!

31 7,914
 12-14-2013, 09:10 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
One word ... Alden.

102 17,670
 12-14-2013, 09:18 AM
User Info
I don't know of this one Ravi. Care to share some more info?

31 7,914
 12-14-2013, 09:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I own one pair of SAS loafers. When they wear out I will buy another pair. Oh, I also have a pair of insulated snow boots for when the going gets tough.

173 23,548
 12-14-2013, 09:27 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
[Image: 1zmmauh.jpg]

Alden Shoe Company
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Alden Shoe Company is a shoe company founded in 1884 by Charles H. Alden in Middleborough, Massachusetts.[1] Aldens specializes in handcrafted men's leather boots and dress shoes, such as Oxfords, Blüchers, loafers, and Chukka boots.

In the 19th century, there were once hundreds of shoemakers in New England, but now Alden is the last in the region, and is considered a heritage, family-owned brand.[1][2] Many of the company's roughly 100 workers at its factory in Middleborough are second or third generation,[1] and it sources its leathers mostly from small tanneries in Europe and the U.S. – its shell cordovan comes from the last such tannery in America, Horween Leather Company.[2] Horween Leather Company supplies leather shells for footwear to the Alden Shoe Company, their largest cordovan customer, which became a customer in 1930, buying shell cordovan and other leathers.[3][4][5]

Along with other brands of Americana,[6] Alden has experienced something of a resurgence in 21st century men's fashion.[7] Despite a recession in the late-2000s and the relatively high prices of their products, Alden has grown again because of a renewed interest in more traditional men's shoes and boots, which can last decades.[1] It is this reliance on high-end shoes, especially by those interested in business attire, that has allowed the company to avoid going under despite the decline of American shoe manufacturing.

In popular culture, Alden model 405 boots (commonly referred to as the Alden "Indy" boot) were the shoe of choice for Harrison Ford's Indiana Jones character in the film versions of the franchise.[8]

These shoes are not cheap, but are meticulously crafted ... like a fine shaving brush ... Biggrin

I own various models of the Alden offerings ... business and casual.

102 17,670
 12-14-2013, 09:30 AM
User Info
Thanks Ravi. I was more interested in your personal thoughts about the brand. How you found out about them, what you like about them, etc. They certainly look lovely. They also look stiff to me but that is very hard to tell from a still picture. Do you find them to be flexible?

Johnny, comfort is king! And warmth too. Biggrin

31 7,914
 12-14-2013, 09:35 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Before I was in the optical business I was in the shoe repair and orthotic business and it comes down to this.....Use the correct type of shoe for the purpose intended...i.e. A waking shoe for walking and a dress shoe for dress...very few shoes are cross usage...and if you need orthotics make sure the shoe can support them...generally better shoes are better but it is the feel that you look for ...make sure they feel good and don,t expect a poorly constructed shoe to hold 250 pounds and a paper thin sole to last very long...some shoes like Mephisto and Birkenstock or FinnComfort are worth it if you have "bad feet"....the best orthotic doesn,t work well in a lousy poorly made even expensive shoe ...

6 1,913
 12-14-2013, 09:37 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Brian, I found out about Alden shoes through my local menswear shop ... which has now closed unfortunately ... declining interest with younger buyers in fine sartorial things I guess.

Alden shoes are entirely constructed by hand, and although they appear stiff, the all-leather build of the shoe conforms to one's foot ... making for a very comfortable fit. Goodyear welting allows for easy resoling as needed over time. Properly maintained, a pair of Alden shoes can last many years.

Their 'dress' shoes are expensive, but their 'casual' loafers are more reasonably priced, and equally comfortable. I do own a pair of the Indy boots as well.

The key to a comfortable set of shoes, regardless of price, is proper fitting ... not the type of thing amenable to being done haphazardly!

People spend many hours each day on their feet, but don't always respect the value of proper footwear. Proper fitting shoes are equally important to a properly chosen bed mattress ... but I digress.

102 17,670
 12-14-2013, 09:45 AM
User Info
Nice Ravi. Thanks for the input. I will definitely keep them in mind when I'm ready and able to reach the upper echelon of shoes. I'm very glad to hear that they move well too. A stiff shoe doesn't work for me at all.

31 7,914
 12-14-2013, 09:45 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
My only pair of fancy shoes are my Pradas. They are similar to the ones pictured here, and they fit like a glove and are very comfortable. Needless to say I bought them before I was married.

Speaking of shoes, does anyone know what company makes a good black and white brogue? I had a pair as a child and would love another!

1 608
 12-14-2013, 11:01 AM
User Info
95% of the time, I wear a pair of M77:
[Image: 108_Protex_AS_Milit_rst_vler_M_77_Felt__11.jpg]
The rest of the time? Trainers, crocks, or cheap sandals depending on what I'm doing.

3 3,580
 12-14-2013, 11:08 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Gift from my wife (in 2012)...

[Image: 4lt7TBN.png]

(and I haven't had a new pair of shoes since, except work boots).

91 17,868
 12-14-2013, 11:17 AM
User Info
Ben, please share what shoes those are. That dragon is very well done.

31 7,914
 12-14-2013, 11:22 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(12-14-2013, 11:08 AM)ben74 Wrote: Gift from my wife (in 2012)...

[Image: 4lt7TBN.png]

(and I haven't had a new pair of shoes since, except work boots).

Ben, that is the coolest pair of shoes! I probably would never wear something like those, though, because I have never liked a shoe that came above my ankles.

I have also gotten away from trainers as I don't find them particularly comfortable. I basically live in slip ons. I do not get expensive shoes but make certain that they are completely comfortable for the walking I do.

2 11,211
 12-14-2013, 11:27 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
They are Bally.

Softest leather I've ever encountered and the most comfortable thing I've ever had on my feet. The were made to celebrate the year of the dragon. I would not usually condone my wife investing so much on a pair of shoes for me, but I have to say they were worth every single cent. I have worn them almost every day since March 2012. They certainly don't look new (as pictured above), but they have endured many a mile under my 100kg frame.

91 17,868
 12-14-2013, 12:02 PM
User Info
I have 4 pairs of Alden's (dress shoes, work). But lately I've been into Ecco's. I have three pair -- two loafers and one lace up.

I wear Olakai flip flops.

0 303
 12-14-2013, 12:05 PM
User Info
Nice, I tried on some Ecco's when I went with the Seibel. Good shoe too.

31 7,914
 12-14-2013, 12:20 PM
User Info
Eccos are amazing for how many sizes they come in -- they use a European size number that finely fits a narrow foot like men ( particularly my narrow heel, which you could cut yourself on).

My most recent purchase was these lace ups.

[Image: TtsYVQT.jpg]

0 303
 12-14-2013, 12:57 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Luke,

Go to allenedmonds.com and you'll see Spectator shoes, some on sale. They will custom make by color/size for you. AE's are top of the line, similar to Alden's.

(12-14-2013, 09:45 AM)Lradke Wrote: My only pair of fancy shoes are my Pradas. They are similar to the ones pictured here, and they fit like a glove and are very comfortable. Needless to say I bought them before I was married.

Speaking of shoes, does anyone know what company makes a good black and white brogue? I had a pair as a child and would love another!

Brian-Love the Onitsuka Tigers. Best racing flats from my era. Have you tried Allen Edmonds-fantastic high end shoes. Once broken in like your shaving brush, oh boy!

19 700
 12-15-2013, 03:22 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
For dress I have 4 pairs of Church's and 1 pair of Bally's. For casual wear I have 1pair of Clarks, 1 pair of Eccos, 2 pairs of Geox and 1 pair of Lucchese ropers. For walking I have 1 pair of Merrell's and 1 pair of Keen sandals.

5 760