04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
User Info
I received a parcel today thinking it was the Tabac I ordered last week but it turned out to be the Michell's Wool Fat I ordered at around the same time.

I shaved using the MWF and, while I enjoyed the shave I had with it, I found that my razor didn't glide nearly as well as it does when I use ARKO. Performance-wise, right now, I'd have to say that ARKO is better than MWF. I know -- this is blasphemy -- but it's only my opinion and YMMV. Blush

Something that surprised me about the MWF is its scent (which I love, by the way). From what I've heard others say I figured it would be nearly scentless, but I can easily detect the perfume in it. It's about as strong -- if not stronger -- than the ARKO I've been using. This leads me to believe that my ARKO might be old because pretty much everyone on the shaving boards I've been browsing complain that ARKO is "way too strong!" which I just don't get because I find the scent to be on the subtle side. Huh

Anyway, I'm hoping that I receive my Tabac tomorrow. Will I prefer ARKO to Tabac? You never know . . . Smile

0 214
 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I will make your doctors appointment for tomorrow morning. You need help.Biggrin

173 23,548
 04-26-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
Off with his head! and then give me his MWFTongue

9 1,199
 04-26-2012, 12:49 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-26-2012, 12:25 PM)Johnny Wrote: I will make your doctors appointment for tomorrow morning. You need help.Biggrin

May need to get the padded cell ready. Biggrin

45 16,353
 04-26-2012, 12:53 PM
User Info
(04-26-2012, 12:35 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Off with his head! and then give me his MWFTongue

I'll take the ARKO I guess.

0 120
 04-26-2012, 12:54 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I'm always surprised about the passion and hatred that Arko receives from many.
Enjoy the Arko,my friend,and let us know if you like it more than Tabac too.

86 7,123
 04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(04-26-2012, 12:21 PM)Pnume Wrote: I received a parcel today thinking it was the Tabac I ordered last week but it turned out to be the Michell's Wool Fat I ordered at around the same time.

I shaved using the MWF and, while I enjoyed the shave I had with it, I found that my razor didn't glide nearly as well as it does when I use ARKO. Performance-wise, right now, I'd have to say that ARKO is better than MWF. I know -- this is blasphemy -- but it's only my opinion and YMMV. Blush

Something that surprised me about the MWF is its scent (which I love, by the way). From what I've heard others say I figured it would be nearly scentless, but I can easily detect the perfume in it. It's about as strong -- if not stronger -- than the ARKO I've been using. This leads me to believe that my ARKO might be old because pretty much everyone on the shaving boards I've been browsing complain that ARKO is "way too strong!" which I just don't get because I find the scent to be on the subtle side. Huh

Anyway, I'm hoping that I receive my Tabac tomorrow. Will I prefer ARKO to Tabac? You never know . . . Smile

I agree,no doubt MWF is a unique and superior soap but over the years I have by choice used Arko more . Because its inexpensive there is a prejudice against it . Michael Ham noted its small price but rated it pretty highly despite that and he has more experience with soaps than anyone I'd think.

Arko is an inexpensive tallow based soap one can buy by the box for less than $20 but its to good to be true therefore its rejected.Tongue

15 541
 04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
User Info
There is nothing wrong with knowing what you like and liking what you like... if this wasn't the case you'd have 3 Billion men chasing the same woman!Biggrin

3 315
 04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Don't get me wrong...Arko isn't all bad. If I were going to go on a fishing trip, I'd bring it along...to keep the skeeters away. Tongue

I of course am teasing. Nothing wrong with Arko's performance. It is one of the easier soaps to lather and I always got a good shave from it. I do not care for its scent but then again, I do not care for the scent of MdC either. Definitely YMMV

45 16,353
 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-26-2012, 01:07 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: There is nothing wrong with knowing what you like and liking what you like... if this wasn't the case you'd have 3 Billion men chasing the same woman!Biggrin

Very true...Cool

45 16,353
 04-26-2012, 01:39 PM
User Info
Don't worry you are not alone in liking the Arko Shave Stick. The scent fades, but the performance does not. I cram a couple sticks in an Old Spice mug and am good for a couple months.

I've gone through a puck of MWF and it took me a while to get a consistent lather. I also wasn't crazy about the scent. It did leave my skin feeling great, but so do many other soaps. I have another puck of it waiting for me to work through some of my other product.

18 569
 04-26-2012, 01:52 PM
User Info
(04-26-2012, 01:39 PM)PanChango Wrote: It did leave my skin feeling great, but so do many other soaps. I have another puck of it waiting for me to work through some of my other product.

My skin feels fantastic. I must admit that MWF seems to have much better post-shave benefits than ARKO. But shaving with ARKO just seems better . . . right now, anyway.

Next time I shave with MWF I'll use a different blade to see if I get different results. I'll use a Perma-Sharp blade. I find those to be quite a bit smoother than Feather blades (the latter is what I used today).

0 214
 04-26-2012, 03:14 PM
User Info
Facepalm

Oh no! An Arko thread is now like a Williams thread! Wink Which reminds me, have we had one recently?

I like ARKO way out of proportion to it's price as well Pnume. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, almost. But I like Williams too. I guess I don't set my sights high. I have no problem with the scent one bit. Yeah, it does remind me of bug "keep 'em off" scent, but I never did like blackflies or 'skeeters, much prefer the scent.

Some things work far better than the price would suggest, and ARKO is just one of those items. As always, no strings attached to my arms, so of course that's my opinion.

FWIW, I also like the higher priced products and that includes MWF.

I shred a few sticks into a bowl also. It's just easier for me to use that way.

32 6,310
 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I love the scent of the MWF as well as the lather, however this soap also gave me a terrible irritation every time I used it. On the other hand, I also love the Arko soap scent and lather, and it leaves my skin feeling smooth and very comfortable.

3 2,562
 04-26-2012, 05:26 PM
User Info
 04-26-2012, 07:46 PM
User Info
It does'nt have to cost a lot to be good.

5 273
 04-26-2012, 08:07 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have not tried MWF, but I have tried Proraso white tub, Cella red tub and Arko. I must say, Arko is a close tie with Cella for me. If it smelled better I would not buy another soap ever. I love shaving with Arko. It's just amazingly good. The scent is very polarizing. Some people like and some people hate it. I am not very fond of it, but once the stick has aired out for a month (I keep mine unwrapped) the smell is mild enough to not bother me so much. The shaves Arko provides, though are absolutely fantastic. It never fails, it is not fancy, but it never fails to deliver an excellent shave lather. It's a no-BS soap. Easy to use and pretty much guarantees success. It's inexpensive (Amazon had a deal for $15/15 sticks last week), works great and the smell can be washed off after the shave pretty easily. I really like this soap. Don't get me wrong, I love fine scented soaps, but at $10-$18/puck vs. Arko's $2/stick I am not sure the scent is worth it for those 20 minutes while shaving. Also, I prefer soaps that are not tricky to lather. I find Cella is extremely good in all respects and its scent is almond and very mild. However, it takes a bit longer to get a good lather with it than with Arko. So, do not be alarmed. Arko is very good stuff and very tough to beat. The only way to beat it is to offer better fragrance. No other soap can offer what Arko offers if the scent is of no issue. Not for any price, but at Arko's price it's just silly not to use it and enjoy it. I do. Between Arko and Cella (not using Proraso so much) I find very little need to look for other soaps. I did sniff a bunch of very fancy soaps in wooden bowls today at a small boutique today. Honestly, they smelled good, but too strong, stronger than Arko. I am more sensitive to the volume of the scent than the quality. An overwhelmingly strong smell of any product repulses me. Even very nice scents that I enjoy like sandalwood or rose when too strong are not very attractive to me. I am pretty sensitive to smells and do not like olfactory assaults. Cella is very good about being mildly scented, Arko is not and was almost a non-starter for me. After I shaved with it once, though I realized I need to work with this product. So I aired it out for a week before coming back to it and it was fine. Not a great scent (I am not into chemical cleansers smells), but at low volume tolerable, especially for the lather you get.

25 1,705
 04-26-2012, 08:22 PM
User Info
Continued success with the ARKO!

75 20,883
 04-26-2012, 11:26 PM
User Info
(04-26-2012, 03:41 PM)JAYDEE Wrote: I love the scent of the MWF as well as the lather, however this soap also gave me a terrible irritation every time I used it.

I was a bit worried that the lanolin in the MWF would irritate my skin, but I didn't experience any irritation whatsoever.

0 214
 04-27-2012, 06:39 AM
User Info
Arko was my favorite tallow based shaving soap for a long time. However, with continued use of MWF, Arko has now moved to second place.

That said, your assessment of Arko as an excellent shaving soap is right on! Smile

0 1,377