04-26-2012, 02:37 PM
User Info
For those shavers using Ted Pella blades (SE 121-3 specifically, GEM SS ptfe coated), be aware they now require a business address to ship them to. The delivery needs an adult signature and an adult needs to be there.

They will research you to see if you qualify. I'm not going to debate the why of this, it just is. So save yourself some grief and have the required address before placing the order.

I read somewhere on a shave site (this one maybe?) that they are now considered hazardous materials.

I know that they research the address because a lady from TP called me to let me know she liked my site, etc, ect. I have no doubt that the call was part of the research into where the blades were being sent to. She specifically told me during our conversation that where the blades go to needs to have some sort of connection to razor blades. I have no idea how tenuous the connection can be. All males and lots of females need to shave, right? Anyway we were cordial and I got my blades.

The low scorers on the public servants test are now in charge of the asylum folks. I feel sorry for the folks at Ted Pella. I considered it a shavepocalypse of a sort when I got wind of this on another site and will never need to order again. Blades are cheap. I will never be forced to return to using cartridges! Period.

If someone knows any more than I posted here, please update or correct this. Thanks!

32 6,308
 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thanks for the heads up Brian. I bought my Personna coated stainless Gem blades from Robbins Medical supplies online. I believe Ted Pella only sells the Gems in lots of 200.

100 12,436
 04-26-2012, 06:38 PM
User Info
I think it might not be a government rule. Sound more like some looney ordered himself some Pellas then gave them a hard time or threatened them in some way, and one thing led to another, the liability insurance carrier got involved and imposed some special requirements, in order to avoid selling to unstable elements. Just my opinion!

24 1,149
 04-26-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
That could very well be the case Gary. It sounded almost like a lawyer liability issue to me also. I never thought of insurance.

--------

Yes, 200 a pop minimum.

32 6,308
 04-27-2012, 04:54 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(04-26-2012, 07:24 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: That could very well be the case Gary. It sounded almost like a lawyer liability issue to me also. I never thought of insurance.

--------

Yes, 200 a pop minimum.

OK that means nobody can ship razor blades, knives or anything similar without adult signing for it. Wouldn't you think Phil would know about it?

100 12,436
 04-27-2012, 05:50 AM
User Info
Razor blades are not, and will never be, classified as a hazardous material.

There are 8 hazmat categories:
1.1-1.6 - Explosives
2.1/2.2 - Flammable gas/Non-flammable gas
3 - Flammable liquids
4.1/4.2 - Flammable solids/Spontaneously combustible
5.1/5.2 - Oxidizer/Organic peroxide
6.1 - Poision
7 - Radioactive
8 - Corrosive

I do not see razor blades falling into any one of these categories. Furthermore, if it were hazmat (let's say), for the blades to be shipped they would been a proper chemical name, class #, PG grouping, and UN #.

Just saying...

1 94
 04-27-2012, 06:06 AM
User Info
It could also mean that the medical lab community is being given preference to these blades to ensure supply to them.

I could imagine a scenario where a lab cannot get certain type of blade because the stock is exhausted. The lab director then fires off a letter to TP asking why the blades are not available and threatening move their entire order (including a variety of different blades not coveted by the traditional shaving community) to another dealer, or even Personna itself.

TP then simply goes to their sales staff and requests that they tighten up on sales to business orders only to reduce the risk of offending professional customers that buy a wide variety of blades from TP.

1 2,827
 04-27-2012, 07:10 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Ted Pella has always been a little funny about shipping their blades and has always required an adult signature. I could never figure it out. They also had zero interest in wholesaling to shaving sites.

45 16,276
 04-27-2012, 08:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(04-27-2012, 07:10 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Ted Pella has always been a little funny about shipping their blades and has always required an adult signature. I could never figure it out. They also had zero interest in wholesaling to shaving sites.

That is why I bought from Robbins Medical Supplies. No hassle, fast shipping and reasonable prices. Of course all this could have changed.

100 12,436
 04-27-2012, 11:35 AM
User Info
(04-26-2012, 02:37 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: For those shavers using Ted Pella blades (SE 121-3 specifically, GEM SS ptfe coated), be aware they now require a business address to ship them to. The delivery needs an adult signature and an adult needs to be there.

They will research you to see if you qualify. I'm not going to debate the why of this, it just is. So save yourself some grief and have the required address before placing the order.

I read somewhere on a shave site (this one maybe?) that they are now considered hazardous materials.

I know that they research the address because a lady from TP called me to let me know she liked my site, etc, ect. I have no doubt that the call was part of the research into where the blades were being sent to. She specifically told me during our conversation that where the blades go to needs to have some sort of connection to razor blades. I have no idea how tenuous the connection can be. All males and lots of females need to shave, right? Anyway we were cordial and I got my blades.

The low scorers on the public servants test are now in charge of the asylum folks. I feel sorry for the folks at Ted Pella. I considered it a shavepocalypse of a sort when I got wind of this on another site and will never need to order again. Blades are cheap. I will never be forced to return to using cartridges! Period.

If someone knows any more than I posted here, please update or correct this. Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up.

0 31
 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM
User Info
By the time I ordered my 200 from Ted Pella, the shipping brought it up to damn near $50, and FedEx would only deliver with a signature so it took several extra days to get a successful attempt. I could have just gotten them from razorbladesandmore.com for $25/100 and added some Dr. Selby to get the free shipping and been much happier much sooner. I love the blades, but will use another source next time.

3 195
 04-28-2012, 06:35 PM
User Info
So far as I know one can still buy Gem blades and Personna PTFE blades through Connaught Shaving without any hassles.

183 12,002
 04-29-2012, 12:04 AM
User Info
(04-27-2012, 06:06 AM)GDCarrington Wrote: It could also mean that the medical lab community is being given preference to these blades to ensure supply to them.

From the OP, it sounds more like junior ordered a bunch of razor blades and did something he shouldn't have with them.

0 303
 04-29-2012, 04:10 AM
User Info
(04-29-2012, 12:04 AM)Tbone Wrote:
(04-27-2012, 06:06 AM)GDCarrington Wrote: It could also mean that the medical lab community is being given preference to these blades to ensure supply to them.

From the OP, it sounds more like junior ordered a bunch of razor blades and did something he shouldn't have with them.

As a remember on another forum another purchaser had a similar issue with Ted Pella and the reason he was given was to that they needed to maintain available stock for the medical community. They did not go into any other specifics. Needless to say he was not please with their response. As Phil stated, they seem not to be interested in selling in bulk to traditional shaving merchants.

1 2,827