12-15-2013, 12:12 AM
User Info
In the spirit of Brian's (aka SharpSpine) original thread, I thought we could start reflecting on 2013 as it comes to a close.

What will you remember about wetshaving in 2013? What were the best and worst experiences and products you had?

For me,

Best:
The Shave Nook community Smile
Shaving with my son
Krampert's Frostbite (joined Bay Rum as my top aftershaves)
Omega Boar brushes
Revisiting TGN Finest knots
Elite Razor and Rudy Vey customs
Muhle R41 2011 (my best DE)

Worst:
Only having one face to shave Sad

47 1,270
 12-15-2013, 09:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, let's see:

Best:
The Shave Nook community Smile
Shaving with my grandson
Village Barber Products
CADE Products
Muhle Synthetic Brushes
PILS Razor
Tradere SB Razor
Personna Med Prep Blades

Worst:
Cold weather and paying taxes Sad

173 23,553
 12-15-2013, 12:15 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Best:
The Shave Nook, of course! Biggrin
iKon Shavecraft 101 razor
Mike Perry for reknotting and generally cleaning up my Century 4 shave brush and doing an incredible job
Mike Perry for making those beautiful ink vial holders for me and doing a beautiful job
The new places to go to in The Front Porch (The Café, Through the Lens, and, especially, The Ink Well)
Prairie Creations Green Irish Tweed Aftershave Balm
Floid Blue Aftershave splash
The anticipation of waiting to receive my TSN/Simpsons LE P8 brush (Any day, now, I'm sure. Smile )

Worst:
Why dwell on the one or two things that didn't go as I may have wanted?

Here is to a wonderful 2014 for everyone here at the Nook. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 12-15-2013, 05:59 PM
User Info
For starters

Best

Cobra classic
Moving and now have soft water. I can lather just about anything quickly and have moved more to soaps and away from creams.
That being said, Barrister and Mann, HTGAM soaps
MdC
My first Simpsons and M&F brushes
Discovering what works and that I have plenty of good HW and SW so I don't need to buy everything I see.

Worst, and I guess only because of lack of rotation....

Since getting the Weber at the beginning of the year, and Cobra some weeks ago, all other razors either sit in my drawer, been PIF'd to my son, or sold.

31 1,800
 12-15-2013, 06:21 PM
User Info
For me … besides TSN

Best

Razor: Muhle R41 (2013)
Brush: Muhle STF 2.0 Black 25mm XL Brush
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue Blades
Soap: Martin De Candre Fougere
Cream: Trufitt & Hill Lavender Shaving Cream
After Shave: Weleda After Shave Balm

Worst

The hiatus from this site
Selling everything except my absolute favorites (overkill to say the least)
Having to re buy several products missed
No longer having Santa Maria Novella SC (previous version)

191 1,552
 12-15-2013, 08:40 PM
User Info
TSN is an obvious ++

Best:
Tradere 1st Gen oc
Somerset CH3 Super
Cobra
PPF soaps
Discovering Personna Labs are better for me than SI's at 1/2 the price! ;-)

Worst:
iKon slant
Shavecraft 101
Tradere SB
HTGAM soaps

63 2,128
 12-15-2013, 09:14 PM
User Info
Good thread premise.

This would be much easier if I was still in AD mode.

+2 the TSN and shave community in general. What a great bunch of guys.
Even though I'm prejudiced on this I also +2 the Frostbite. I used little else this spring/summer/fall and I look forward to the warm weather again so that I can use it without the double hit of facial freeze.
A friend sent me Klar Seifen Klassic and it's definitely a keeper. My wife calls it a manly floral scent. I just think it's nice and the soap is phenominal.

The worst...
Yeah, winter. More so every year. I'm getting too old for this crud. Three and a half more months of snow removal. I need to turn my lemon into lemonade... Time to do some snowshoe hare (the species) hunting with a handgun (me on shoeshoes). The hunting is a plus, winter is the minus, but without it the plus wouldn't exist. Does that make sense? Biggrin We'll survive and get through it. COME ON SPRING! Gotta have the bad along with the good so as to appreciate the good, so it serves it's purpose I suppose. That's just the way life is.

32 6,311
 12-15-2013, 09:17 PM
User Info
Thanks Tom for starting this years version of Hindsight. I'm still looking ahead to some things so I forgot to take a look back. Now that I have, it is truly amazing what I've experienced in a relatively short time as we take this tour around the sun.

For reference here is my list from 2012...
(12-27-2012, 06:20 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: As 2012 winds down what would you say were your best and worst acquisitions this year?

Best:
  • E7 Scarlett custom brush (from Bob @ Elite Razor) with WSP HMW knot (23/50)
  • Cobra Classic
  • EverReady Streamline
  • WSP Monarchs
  • JABONMAN soaps

Worst:
  • GFT Soap
  • Muhle STF (my wife loves it so it sticks around)
  • RazoRock King Louis soap

Summary:

Best:
  • The Shave Nook
  • EverReady MCMXIV
  • 3 Elite7 brushes + WSP knots
  • 3 Black Fibre brushes; 1 Mühle & 2 Rudy Veys
  • Martin de Candre -- Signature & Fougère
  • Tiki Bar Vegan Shave Soap
  • Cella
  • Krampert's Finest

Worst:
  • m&f l7 blonde badger
  • Stirling Soap
  • Dovo shave soap by Fiori & Frutta
  • EverReady 1912 & 1924

2013 Best Details:

The Shave Nook -- growing with some new great members & making all those hard decisions are the admins and mods that keep this the best shave forum on the internet.

EverReady 1914 (MCMXIV); the Little Lather Catcher. This was the only new-to-me razor for the year. Being a SE exclusive there aren't many razors I have yet to try. The ER'14 elluded me until the last quarter of 2013. However, in its short stint in my Nook it has secured top spot and left last years superstars (Cobra & Streamline) riding the pine. I know, blasphemy, but the Streamline is sidelined.

2013 was certainly the year of the brush for me. More brushes moved in and out off hands than anything else shave related. Most of the additions find themselves here on the best list. I have 2 categories of best with my brushes this year; Elite7 variations & Black Fibre variations.

Elite7s: Burly (Buckeye Burl, WSP XD Finest 27/50); Shelly (Tortoiseshell, WSP Super HMW 24/48), Jade (Faux Jade, WSP Super HMW 2-band 24/48)

Black Fibre: Mühle VIVO; Rudy Vey Electric Blue Alibaba; Rudy Vey Arabian Knight

With all the brush action happening for me it does require some soap. It's hard for me to believe that it wasn't until 2013 that I started using Martin de Candre. This is solidly the best soap I've ever used. I bought 3 glass pots (2 Signature, 1 Fougère) and completely finished a pot of the Signature.

Along with MdC is a newcomer which was actually patterned after MdC; the Tiki Bar Vegan Shave Soap. This Alabama artisan holds a PhD in chemistry and while her soap isn't MdC it is by far the best artisan soap I have tried.

I also revisited Cella shave soap. It didn't lather well for me early on in my traditional shaving journey but this year it was splendid. Add in that the scent is simply sublime I am just glad I gave it another chance this year.

Regarding after the shave care I just have to mention Krampert's Finest. I went all the way through 2013 without using any other aftershave product. I'm a Krampert's Finest man and have no desire to try anything else.

2013 Worst Details:

My year of the brush had one complete dud. The m&f l7 blonde badger was just a poor experience for me from the beginning all the way to the end trying to find it a new home. The blonde badger hair was the scratchiest hair I've used since the SOC 2-band & was probably even scratchier than the SOC. The rest of my thoughts on this are already well documented.

I will put a couple soaps into the worst category this year. These are here only because I learned definitively this year that my face doesn't need lots of moisturizers from the soap. Stirling Soaps with their high castor oil content was like a oil slick for me. The other one that is high on moisturizers but didn't work well for me was the DOVO shave soap made by Fiori & Frutta.

I revisited the EverReady 1912 & 1924 razors recently. Unfortunately, they still don't hold a candle to my regulars.

31 7,914
 12-16-2013, 03:14 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Well, let's see:

Best
- BarbearClassico Community
- TheShaveNook Community
- Starting to shave with a straight razor
- Chubby 2 Silvertip
- Semogue Horn in Selected Silvertip
- MdC

Worst
Haven't really had BAD experiences per se, but I do have two expensive creams that, to me, are absolutely not worth it:
- Tabula Rasa Cream
- Santa Maria Novella Cream

Cheers.

25 4,642
 12-16-2013, 07:03 AM
User Info
Here's my attempt at this:

Best
-TSN community (duh)
-Barrister & Mann soaps
-RazoRock - just about everything
-My custom brushes - Elite Razor and Rudy Vey
-My LE Brushes - P8 and Amici
-Simpsons Duke 3 Best
-Merkur Progress

Worst
I really can't say worst, but maybe just most disappointing.
-ABCBA -- Really wanted to like this but it lit up my face
-Ikon Slant -- another I was really looking forward to but it didn't shave for me any better than the 37C, so for the price it had to go.

10 2,062
 12-16-2013, 08:08 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Best:

-Friends made here and other shaving platforms
-SE Shaving thanks to friend introduction!
- KMF Creams
- Plisson and M&F

Worst:
Money spend on shaving as I should save up for house!

11 861
 12-16-2013, 08:32 AM
User Info
Hard to pick "best" and "worst", so you'll have to settle for "good" and "bad"

Good: Being able to still enjoy shaving with soap, brush, DE and quality aftershave when having to use the GoBag for a month.
Bad: Having to shave from the GoBag for a month, denying me of choices in regards to soaps, brushes, razors and aftershaves.

3 3,580
 12-16-2013, 08:35 AM
User Info
As a newbie my best/worst is more a report on learning to wet shave then any thing else.

Best: 1. Wet shaving - who knew what it would be so awesome
2. Comrades here and eleswhere
3. Lee @ leesrazors. Started me off right
4. Weber PH/GSB combo

Worse: 1. The Mergress and I did not get along
2. Sorry for my wallet. OUCH!

6 358
 12-16-2013, 01:27 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Thankful for the friends here in the Shave Nook.
Generous spirit of everyone
Continued awesomeness of wet shaving
Rediscovering Feather blades rather giving them a second chance
RazoRock soaps

The only disappointed for 2013 was the Cadet Mongoose.

1 3,507