12-15-2013, 12:02 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
With all the soapophilia in this forum, it kills me that I don't have certain soaps, eg, ABCBA, or Boellis Panama. However, I literally have about 30 soaps and sticks working, and none of them are stinkers. Therefore I cannot rationalize buying more soap. The last one I got was Czech & Speake Oxford/Cambridge (yes it's great).

Are you having similar "issues"? If so, what soap(s) do you covet, but will probably never have?MadMad

1 745
 12-15-2013, 12:26 PM
User Info
i will probably never have c&s soap. for the moment i only have calani. yes - i know - i'm boring Biggrin

7 1,625
 12-15-2013, 12:34 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Boellis is the one I'm missing. It will be a long time before I get to it due to the large variety currently in the rotation. The C&S Cambridge is my travel soap-it has no scent at all, but lathers well.

19 700
 12-15-2013, 12:38 PM
User Info
Ted, I'm with you. I have so many soaps and none are dogs, all good performers or they'd have fed the bugs in my septic system long ago.

I can't think of any that I'd like to have that I don't have. There simply aren't enough shaves in ones life and frankly I don't believe there are any that will elevate my shave further. Yet there are a great many that I haven't tried.

I wrote it quite awhile ago, and I still believe that we are presently living in the golden age of blade shaving. I know we wish we had shaving the way it was 100 years ago, or some folks do, but I don't believe the products were or could have been any better that what we have today. In yesteryear you had local products, today we have the world to pick from and word gets out about what's best. It's either the best, or it doesn't last. There are the best soaps in all price ranges too, from ARKO to ABCBA and some others that escape my grasp at the moment. So many great soaps and only one face to shave.

Edit: I just counted the soaps/creams/croaps in the cabinet and I have 40. That's far too many. I'm actually in soap attrition mode, but they continue to breed and multiply it seems. Other than some really nice creams/croaps that I like my plan is to stick to hard soaps which have long shelf life (decades).

32 6,311
 12-15-2013, 12:39 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Mudder Focker unless he makes some more

115 1,692
 12-15-2013, 01:09 PM
User Info
I can only speak for myself but I can't shave every day so I go every 2-4 days; which cuts my weekly shaves down to 3 a week if I'm lucky. When I started this "hobby" I didn't know how long a puck of soap would last; you see 50gm or 150gm and you can't really equate that with time or number of shaves. You just buy to your hearts content because you want to try as much stuff as you can.

Then after some time you realize you'll never need to buy soaps again ever; but every day there is something new for you to try. You get rid of your existing stockpile to get the new stuff only to realize you miss what you got rid of so you buy it again. The neverending circle of soap buying.

Don't even get me started on brushes or razors. I think i've spent more on this supposed "cheap" hobby than the GDP of a small developing nation.

19 631
 12-15-2013, 01:44 PM
User Info
I've put the brakes on with about 12 pucks/sticks on hand. I'm going to try and get through 2014 as much as possible without buying more soap.

0 303
 12-15-2013, 02:03 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I currently have 19 soaps. Two soaps I "covet" are the MdC brain bowl and C&S No. 88 in anodized dish, but I don't ever see myself spending that kind of money. A refill puck of C&S heads my purchase list for next year if I can reduce my current inventory.

0 204
 12-15-2013, 03:36 PM
User Info
I am basically set with soaps, right now, after having tried most of the natural, artisan ones, but I only have two principal ones that I use, Mystic Water (4 scents) and Mike's (1 scent). It seems I am just a bit more exciting than Marius! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-15-2013, 10:00 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(12-15-2013, 12:38 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Ted, I'm with you. I have so many soaps and none are dogs, all good performers or they'd have fed the bugs in my septic system long ago.

I can't think of any that I'd like to have that I don't have. There simply aren't enough shaves in ones life and frankly I don't believe there are any that will elevate my shave further. Yet there are a great many that I haven't tried.

I wrote it quite awhile ago, and I still believe that we are presently living in the golden age of blade shaving. I know we wish we had shaving the way it was 100 years ago, or some folks do, but I don't believe the products were or could have been any better that what we have today. In yesteryear you had local products, today we have the world to pick from and word gets out about what's best. It's either the best, or it doesn't last. There are the best soaps in all price ranges too, from ARKO to ABCBA and some others that escape my grasp at the moment. So many great soaps and only one face to shave.

Edit: I just counted the soaps/creams/croaps in the cabinet and I have 40. That's far too many. I'm actually in soap attrition mode, but they continue to breed and multiply it seems. Other than some really nice creams/croaps that I like my plan is to stick to hard soaps which have long shelf life (decades).

I am in a semi-attrition mode. I've been taking the soaps I like, but don't get around to and converting them to sticks. Because sticks work so well for me it is like rediscovering them. If I still don't use them enough, maybe I'll send them up to Maine to feed those bugs! I've been to Maine twice - absolutely beautiful. I just wish I did not dislike long winters, or any winters for that matter!

(12-15-2013, 01:44 PM)Face Bannon Wrote: I've put the brakes on with about 12 pucks/sticks on hand.

Amen to that!Doubt

1 745
 12-16-2013, 01:15 AM
User Info
(12-15-2013, 03:36 PM)celestino Wrote: I am basically set with soaps, right now, after having tried most of the natural, artisan ones, but I only have two principal ones that I use, Mystic Water (4 scents) and Mike's (1 scent). It seems I am just a bit more exciting than Marius! Biggrin

I Celestino,
Which Mike's scent do you use?

13 1,313
 12-16-2013, 02:42 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I'm not even gonna count the soaps I currently own, but for now I pine for the C&S #88 WITH the anodized dish... However I can't see myself dish out that kind of money for a soap dish, not as long as there is so much interesting hardware out there. Smile

25 4,642
 12-16-2013, 09:38 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(12-16-2013, 02:42 AM)TheMonk Wrote: I'm not even gonna count the soaps I currently own, but for now I pine for the C&S #88 WITH the anodized dish... However I can't see myself dish out that kind of money for a soap dish, not as long as there is so much interesting hardware out there. Smile

Agreed re the anodized dish; but the soap is excellent.

1 745
 12-16-2013, 10:06 AM
User Info
By my conservative estimation, I have enough software to last 20 years. My oldest son has just started shaving so I can pawn some of it off on him, and I have another son who will start shaving in 4 years, but that still leaves me with way too much.

I'm trying to cull out anything that doesn't get me excited to use and that has helped, but not as much as I'd like. It turns out most of what I've bought works pretty darn good. I'm also culling out some duplicates, since it might be 10 years before I get to open the backup. Might as well sell it now and get a fresh puck if I ever need one again.

I've been pretty good about not buying more stuff this past year, other than vintage pucks. I've had to show some amazing restraint not to buy some of the new products introducted this year. More than once i've filled a cart at one of our shave supply vendors, only to close out the browser before I gave in.

Some of the products I'd love to buy, but probably won't:

Valobra pucks
XXX-T
MdC
King of the Castle
I Coloniali
RR Capt's Choice Shave Soap

0 836
 12-16-2013, 10:58 AM
User Info
(12-16-2013, 01:15 AM)Rui Marques Wrote: I Celestino,
Which Mike's scent do you use?

* Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
* Mystic Water ( Sardinian Honey, Sandalwood Rose & Bay Rum are my favourites. Jeff's Lavender and the Mysore Sandalwood are also very nice) Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-16-2013, 04:37 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
The only one I don't have that I have been eyeing is the New Valobra Colonia...i'm pretty good on others as many have said before me, but the AoS Tallow Soaps have some of the best lather around, so i'm hoping the Valobra Soaps have lather like that!

68 1,417
 12-16-2013, 05:50 PM
User Info
I have too many soaps and creams already, but I have been eyeing the Penhaligon's Sartorial. However, I probably won't buy it unless I can get a great deal from someone on the BST or if it becomes available as a refill puck.

184 12,003
 12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
The same way I can fill up two pages or more with the soaps I have, I can fill even more with the ones I don't have!

3 2,562
 12-17-2013, 07:21 AM
User Info
There are several soaps I don't have that seem to be staples in other dens; anything razor rock, MWF, AOS, volabra, but the one that I want the most is DR Harris.

Maybe after I complete the 2014 sabbatical, I can reward myself with some windsor (or maybe I will just break the sabbatical and get it sooner Biggrin)

1 57
 12-17-2013, 08:24 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
A lot! Have too many to finish atm.

10 963