12-15-2013, 03:26 PM
User Info
Hi,

I just received a Feather AS-D2 as a gift, and I tried it a few time, using the accompanying Feather platinum DE blades.
The first two times it was a good shave, although not as close as I hoped.
The third one I was really impressed, it was probably the best shave I have ever had, beside from some barbers with straight edge razor.
The baffling experience is that after that third shave, I have been unable to shave much with it anymore.
Although I did use a new blade every time (all from same batch, Feather platinum), day after day I can barely scratch the stubble, and I have to resort to my old Gillette Fusion.
I have been using exactly the same soap, brush, and blades (of course, I was using a new blade every day), using more or less the same amount of lathering.

Is it something wrong with the Feather, or perhaps the blades suddenly have become dull?
I would understand if I would have never had a good shave, but that is not the case.
Perhaps it would improve with an Ikon Open Comb Base Plate?

I am so sorry about this! I really do not want to return to the Fusion.

Sam

0 7
 12-15-2013, 03:42 PM
User Info
Sam, from my experience with the AS-D1 and from what I have heard from other who own the AS-D2, you may just not be finding the correct angle as you did on your 3rd day which is rather odd, in my opinion, but that is what it sounds like what is happening. I don't see it being any of the other variables that you mentioned.
I am a bit surprised that you use a new blade, every day, though! They should be able to last you at least 3 shaves, really.

I just couldn't use the AS-D1 as it was just too mild for me with my coarse beard. I have been tempted to try the AS-D2, but from what I have read, it is only slightly more improved than the original and I just don't see it working for me.
Best of luck to you.

75 20,883
 12-15-2013, 03:55 PM
User Info
Hi,

I have been changing blade every day just to eliminate any source of doubt in finding out why this is happening. Tomorrow I shall make sure to try different angles. I know that, even pressing quite hard, I can't seem to shave at all with it right now.

Sam

PS: My first DE razor was a Merkur "Futur", which was quite aggressive for me, even on the lowest settings. That is why I was hoping the Feather AS-D2 would be ideal for me, although I my beard is quite hard.

0 7
 12-15-2013, 05:03 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
As strange as it may sound make sure the razor is put back together correctly. Guys make that mistake by reversing the base plate all the time. Also be very careful loading a fresh blade. Take care that nothing comes in contact with the edges or the blade can dull very easily. Both of these things have happened to me so I am not talking about hearsay.

100 12,436
 12-15-2013, 05:21 PM
User Info
(12-15-2013, 05:03 PM)slantman Wrote: As strange as it may sound make sure the razor is put back together correctly. Guys make that mistake by reversing the base plate all the time. Also be very careful loading a fresh blade. Take care that nothing comes in contact with the edges or the blade can dull very easily. Both of these things have happened to me so I am not talking about hearsay.

That's it, I was reversing the base plate! Even if I was looking so closely at the diagram, I could not figure that out.

Thank you for illumining the mystery!

I am very grateful,

Sam

0 7
 12-15-2013, 05:28 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
How can you reverse the base plate ...there is no marks to indicate any direction...or do you mean placing it upside down?..no razor except the Progress has any marks for positioning the parts....now I,m baffled...please explain.HuhHuhHuh

6 1,913
 12-15-2013, 05:35 PM
User Info
(12-15-2013, 05:28 PM)Harvey Wrote: How can you reverse the base plate ...there is no marks to indicate any direction...or do you mean placing it upside down?..no razor except the Progress has any marks for positioning the parts....now I,m baffled...please explain.HuhHuhHuh

Yes, I simply unscrewed the handle and put the base plate upside down. When I fastened the handle, I noticed that this time the blade was getting bent more than before. Now the Feather does have a grip on the stubble, and it works fine. I will let you know for sure after tomorrow's shave.

0 7
 12-15-2013, 07:15 PM
User Info
Well, great to hear you have resolved the problem and good luck with the shaver! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-15-2013, 07:34 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(12-15-2013, 05:28 PM)Harvey Wrote: How can you reverse the base plate ...there is no marks to indicate any direction...or do you mean placing it upside down?..no razor except the Progress has any marks for positioning the parts....now I,m baffled...please explain.HuhHuhHuh

At least Sam got itSmile

100 12,436
 12-16-2013, 12:59 PM
User Info
I can confirm that was the issue. I feel a little embarassed, but the Feather AS-D2 is my first three piece razor. Before that, I was using a one-piece design Merkur "Futur", so I was not exposed to the idea of wrong up-down setting.

That may be a little design flaw, though. I wonder how many of the "dull experience" reviews or notes I read around are due to the same mistake I was doing!

The positive side of this is, I like my Feather AD-D2! Now, I am tempted to go farther, and try the Feather DX (straight handle). We shall see.

Thank you do much to everybody!

0 7
 12-16-2013, 01:03 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nothing to feel embarrassed about ... we've all done similar things at some point in our wet-shaving journey ... Blush

102 17,661
 12-16-2013, 01:14 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
It could be worse. The first time I tried the iKon slant I put the blade in mis-aligned. On my first stroke I cut my face severly.

57 916
 12-16-2013, 02:08 PM
User Info
It is easy to do. You were at least smart enough to ask for help. It took me a week to solve the problem, and yes, I have done it more than once.

0 25
 12-16-2013, 07:51 PM
  • garlar4
  • St Louis Mo
User Info
Should I feel bad that after reading this I ran and checked mine?

0 13