12-15-2013, 05:58 PM
User Info
I need some clarification from the Semogue experts about the Caravela, 2012 SE, and the recent BC Mistura LE. Do all three brushes have the same mixed knot consisting of 50% boar (Premium 90% Tops) and 50% 2-Band? I understand there are dimensional variations among the three brushes, so my question goes to whether they have the same types of bristle and hair, and in the same proportions.

37 2,966
 12-15-2013, 07:57 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Apparently, the Amici and Caravela share the same exact knot mix, not sure about the other two you mentioned, but the 2012 SE is a sleeper of a brush. I am stunned how it has really flown under the radar for the most part as it is truly a great brush. I prefer it to the Caravela due to handle differences.

135 1,947
 12-15-2013, 08:08 PM
User Info
The 2012 SE definitely intrigues me and every time I see one I debate purchasing. I just hear that it has a bit more backbone than Semogue boars, which scares both me and my sensitive skin. My SOC is tolerable to me after about 7 months of break-in, so I wonder if a mixed knot would be softer, scrubbier, or somehow more in agreement with me.

14 229
 12-15-2013, 08:39 PM
User Info
(12-15-2013, 08:08 PM)explodyii Wrote: The 2012 SE definitely intrigues me and every time I see one I debate purchasing. I just hear that it has a bit more backbone than Semogue boars, which scares both me and my sensitive skin. My SOC is tolerable to me after about 7 months of break-in, so I wonder if a mixed knot would be softer, scrubbier, or somehow more in agreement with me.

* I have one of the original Caravela, as the new one from ItalianBarber is actually called the 'Amici'. The knot on these brushes is softer than your SOC (in boar, I presume you mean) even with the greater backbone. The badger hair really gives the knots its softness, but I still find it a bit much for me as I mainly use 2-band badgers with extremely soft tips. I must be spoiled! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-15-2013, 08:58 PM
User Info
Although highly recommended I still think this knot does not get enough praise. I am not a fan of boar knots despite Johnny trying hard to bring me to the pig. That said, with 50% badger, this knot comes into its own very nicely.

Sent via Tapatalk and my thumbs.

129 6,685
 12-16-2013, 12:38 AM
  • marcel
  • The Netherlands
User Info
I don't know about the new Amici brush, but the knots of the Caravela and the 2012 SE are similiar but most certainly not identical. The knot shape differs and the Caravela to me is a bit softer and smaller on the face.

0 117
 12-16-2013, 06:23 AM
User Info
(12-15-2013, 05:58 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I need some clarification from the Semogue experts about the Caravela, 2012 SE, and the recent BC Mistura LE. Do all three brushes have the same mixed knot consisting of 50% boar (Premium 90% Tops) and 50% 2-Band? I understand there are dimensional variations among the three brushes, so my question goes to whether they have the same types of bristle and hair, and in the same proportions.

In a word, yes. The type of hair and the proportion is the same.

There are minor differences, due to some variability between the different batches of hair along the years. As a result of this, the original Caravela, the BC Mistura and (probably, I think) the "Amici" brush seem to have slightly softer tips than the LE2012.

2 5,532
 12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
User Info
(12-15-2013, 08:39 PM)celestino Wrote:
(12-15-2013, 08:08 PM)explodyii Wrote: The 2012 SE definitely intrigues me and every time I see one I debate purchasing. I just hear that it has a bit more backbone than Semogue boars, which scares both me and my sensitive skin. My SOC is tolerable to me after about 7 months of break-in, so I wonder if a mixed knot would be softer, scrubbier, or somehow more in agreement with me.

* I have one of the original Caravela, as the new one from ItalianBarber is actually called the 'Amici'. The knot on these brushes is softer than your SOC (in boar, I presume you mean) even with the greater backbone. The badger hair really gives the knots its softness, but I still find it a bit much for me as I mainly use 2-band badgers with extremely soft tips. I must be spoiled! Biggrin
The 2012 SE is the brush thw OP was asking about and yes as far as I know all 3 share the same mixed knot. I believe they also are the same diameter and loft.

2 805
 12-16-2013, 10:32 PM
User Info
IMHO, when I compare my Amici with my 12 SE, I think the splay on the SE is much larger than the Amici. I tend to prefer smaller brushes so I like the Amici better. However, after 50 uses or so it might splay like the SE.

9 197