12-15-2013, 11:21 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Has anyone seen or know of a clip where a Chubby #2 in Best is being loaded up, either bowl or face lathering? I have never come across one. It's a sad omission, I think, for such a famed brush. It would be useful to observe the amount of product used, water, how wet/dry the brush needs to be, etc.

I am not great with my Chubby #2, so don't look at me Smile I want to learn, get better at it. I have read up, but I'd like to SEE the BEAST in action Smile

0 1,628
 12-16-2013, 01:52 AM
  • hon
User Info
I've saw 1 clip on youtube. Try search youtube for Simpson Chubby 3 Super badger brush.

0 38
 12-16-2013, 03:16 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Different kind of brush Smile But thanks Smile I'll look anyway.

(12-16-2013, 01:52 AM)hon Wrote: I've saw 1 clip on youtube. Try search youtube for Simpson Chubby 3 Super badger brush.

0 1,628
 12-16-2013, 11:23 AM
User Info
Shaun, I have a Chubby 2 Super and I usually give it a few soft shakes to remove some of the water, then load the brush for 45-60 seconds, wetting it a bit under tap water 2-3 times while loading, and I mean just a tad of water each time. Works great every time, but I also have incredibly soft water and I am not sure what type you have in your region. I also mainly use Mystic Water and Mike's soaps. I wish I could make a video, some day. Blush

Here is the video of the Chubby 3:

75 20,884
 12-16-2013, 02:22 PM
User Info
Great request! I could do a video of me lathering my Chubby 2 Manchurian, but alas, it's not what you're looking for.

Maybe someone with a Chubby 2 Best could help out.

I can tell you that it's a legendary and iconic brush. I own them in 2-Band and Manchurian and they are epic performers!

14 276
 12-16-2013, 02:37 PM
User Info
i didn't exactly jump through the roof after seeing this video. too much knuckles for me - but that's probably good - preventing me from beeing seduced by yet another brush. nice music though Biggrin

7 1,625
 12-31-2013, 04:20 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Lathering a CH2 Best is a little different than the CH2 Super, as the Super holds more water and has more of a fan shaped knot.

When I use my CH2 Best, I wet it then lightly shake some of the water out. CH2s hold a lot of water, which can require more product to keep from getting runny or over-hydrated lather. I like to start on the drier side and hydrate the lather as I build it. I prefer to use the CH2 Best with soap, but whether it's soap or cream, I load a lot of product. When building lather on my face, I find the brush has most of the water I need to hydrate the lather. Painting strokes seem to release more water from the knot than circular strokes, so I build lather with circular strokes then mix in some painting strokes to hydrate the lather. I may or may not have to dip the tips of the brush in some water while building lather.

Andrew

43 1,690
 01-11-2014, 09:25 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Today I seem to have cracked the Chubby2 hogging problem. There was so much lather it was kinda crazy, but first rule (as constantly advised) : PRODUCT. In this instance I used TOBS almond cream from the tube, around three times as much as usual. Three almond sizes? Smile Well, it was a Sunday and I was feeling leisurely Smile Brush not too wet, water added as I went, and I stood near an open door, as if I was whisking an omelette; no, not on my face: I was bowl lathering. On the face it was brush-strokes, not circular action, well, not too much anyway. I also figure that if you're advised to use paintbrush strokes, then so you should in a bowl. So I upped that, but did keep circles going in the bowl, too. Hard to resist really. Worked ok for me anyway. At last.

I think the brush has opened up more too, relaxed or something. It seems to be yielding much better now after twenty or so shaves.

0 1,628
 01-12-2014, 08:16 AM
User Info
(12-15-2013, 11:21 PM)Shaun Wrote: Has anyone seen or know of a clip where a Chubby #2 in Best is being loaded up, either bowl or face lathering? I have never come across one. It's a sad omission, I think, for such a famed brush. It would be useful to observe the amount of product used, water, how wet/dry the brush needs to be, etc.

I am not great with my Chubby #2, so don't look at me Smile I want to learn, get better at it. I have read up, but I'd like to SEE the BEAST in action Smile

Such a video will be of little importance and usage.
It depends on the hardness of water in your area.
Also it depends on the soap and cream you use.
It also depends on how hard you actually force the brush on your skin.
It also depends on the quality of the Best hair. This will vary depending on year and season.

I own a limited edition Chubby 2 in Best in swirled ivory.
I believe this is one of the better version of the CH2 in Best Simpson has made.
The density and feel of this brush is outstanding, and it rivals my CH2 and CH3 in Super 2-Band and Manchurian hair.

How I use my CH2 Best:

1. Open soap or cream
2. Wet the CH2 Best brush, so it's moist but not dripping
3. Dip CH2 Best in container and swirl until the tips are covered
4. Start to face lather directly on my face in circles and painting strokes combined
5. Don't use too much force, just a light touch
6. Watch the cream and soap start to build

You're overthinking this really.
I have hard water, but this brush never gives me problems.
Just use enough product.

22 5,081
 01-12-2014, 06:03 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
+1. Just use enough product.

Andrew

43 1,690
 01-12-2014, 07:48 PM
User Info
(01-12-2014, 06:03 PM)Andrew Wrote: +1. Just use enough product.
Andrew

+2 Even more product! Biggrin

75 20,884
 01-12-2014, 09:51 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-12-2014, 08:16 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(12-15-2013, 11:21 PM)Shaun Wrote: Has anyone seen or know of a clip where a Chubby #2 in Best is being loaded up, either bowl or face lathering? I have never come across one. It's a sad omission, I think, for such a famed brush. It would be useful to observe the amount of product used, water, how wet/dry the brush needs to be, etc.

Such a video will be of little importance and usage.
It depends on the hardness of water in your area.
Also it depends on the soap and cream you use.
It also depends on how hard you actually force the brush on your skin.
It also depends on the quality of the Best hair. This will vary depending on year and season.

I own a limited edition Chubby 2 in Best in swirled ivory.
I believe this is one of the better version of the CH2 in Best Simpson has made.
The density and feel of this brush is outstanding, and it rivals my CH2 and CH3 in Super 2-Band and Manchurian hair.

How I use my CH2 Best:

1. Open soap or cream
2. Wet the CH2 Best brush, so it's moist but not dripping
3. Dip CH2 Best in container and swirl until the tips are covered
4. Start to face lather directly on my face in circles and painting strokes combined
5. Don't use too much force, just a light touch
6. Watch the cream and soap start to build

You're overthinking this really.
I have hard water, but this brush never gives me problems.
Just use enough product.

You only read my first post, not the second. You'll see I am saying a managed to work it out, but thanks for the advice. Smile

0 1,628
 01-12-2014, 10:08 PM
User Info
(01-11-2014, 09:25 PM)Shaun Wrote: Today I seem to have cracked the Chubby2 hogging problem. There was so much lather it was kinda crazy, but first rule (as constantly advised) : PRODUCT. In this instance I used TOBS almond cream from the tube, around three times as much as usual. Three almond sizes? Smile Well, it was a Sunday and I was feeling leisurely Smile Brush not too wet, water added as I went, and I stood near an open door, as if I was whisking an omelette; no, not on my face: I was bowl lathering. On the face it was brush-strokes, not circular action, well, not too much anyway. I also figure that if you're advised to use paintbrush strokes, then so you should in a bowl. So I upped that, but did keep circles going in the bowl, too. Hard to resist really. Worked ok for me anyway. At last.

I think the brush has opened up more too, relaxed or something. It seems to be yielding much better now after twenty or so shaves.

* Congratulations on the success with the Chubby, Shaun! They are wonderful brushes! Smile

75 20,884
 01-13-2014, 03:22 PM
User Info
+ 3 even MoRe product

I have started paying more attn to loading (product / time / water relationship) and my lathering has gotten so much better. I really enjoyed some practice lathers with my CH2 when I got it. Great for understanding the brush and to use up a soap or cream you're on the fence with Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

191 1,552