04-26-2012, 04:46 PM
User Info
About a year ago, I read an article claiming that Potassium Stearate is a key ingredient to look for in a top-shelf soap, because PS produces a more creamy and stable lather. Looking back a year later, it seems that my best performing soaps do indeed contain PS. On the other hand, I sometimes convince myself of things that are not really true -- mind games, you know! What has your experience been with soaps containing Potassium Stearate? Thanks for your input.

The soaps I have found (so far) with PS are Art of Shaving, Fitjar, Trumpers, Klar, Edwin Jagger, LaToja, and Speick. I tend to stay away from creams, would rather avoid the extra risk of too many chemical additives. If you know of other soaps with Potassium Stearate, please let me know.

15 316
 04-26-2012, 06:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The same here.I found that the soaps which contains Potassium Sterate performs better for me that the ones that doesnt,and the combination Potassium/Sodium Sterate and Potassium/Sodium Palmate works perfect.Some of my fav soaps contains those 4 ingredients and also Potassium/Sodium Tallowate,but not all of them contains tallow.
Another great example is the Old Taylor of Old Bond Street lavender soap (Potassium Sterate 1st ingredient) and the new one,with no PS and only Palm oil : the old one performs much better (skin care wise) than the new palm oil based one.

86 7,124
 04-27-2012, 03:09 AM
User Info
I believe that Potassium staerate is a key ingredient, yes.

In theory, potassium stearate (or palmate, or tallowate) will make a softer soap than sodium stearate (or palmate, or tallowate). But the potassium salts dissolve better in water, making it easier to build a thick lather.

Of course that potassium stearate is not a miracle ingredient; there are soaps that contain potassium stearate and work poorly - mostly because they are bad formulated soaps.

2 5,532
 04-27-2012, 06:12 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-27-2012, 03:09 AM)oversaturn Wrote: I believe that Potassium staerate is a key ingredient, yes.

In theory, potassium stearate (or palmate, or tallowate) will make a softer soap than sodium stearate (or palmate, or tallowate). But the potassium salts dissolve better in water, making it easier to build a thick lather.

Of course that potassium stearate is not a miracle ingredient; there are soaps that contain potassium stearate and work poorly - mostly because they are bad formulated soaps.

Yes,there are not magical ingredients but good formulations.However I find that soaps which contains Potassium Sterate among its ingredients performs really well for me 90% of times.I haven't tried the "new" Durance L'Homme,which has PS as one if its ingredients and have been reported impossible to lather,like the "new" Cyril R. Salter,which contains Potassium Sterate too.

86 7,124
 04-27-2012, 06:40 AM
User Info
Another good example is Lothantique Le Coleccioneur, that contains Potassium stearate as well; I usually bowl lather and I find it impossible to obtain a good lather from that soap that way.

The only way that I am able to produce a good lather from Lothantique is to use it like a stick, directly on the face, and then face-lather it.

2 5,532
 04-27-2012, 09:00 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-27-2012, 06:40 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Another good example is Lothantique Le Coleccioneur, that contains Potassium stearate as well; I usually bowl lather and I find it impossible to obtain a good lather from that soap that way.

The only way that I am able to produce a good lather from Lothantique is to use it like a stick, directly on the face, and then face-lather it.

Oh man,I forgot that one too : outstanding scent,poor lather.However,I shaved with it and got excellent shaves,but no lather at all,basically.And yes,contains Potassium Sterate too.

86 7,124